Insurance in a differant province? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance in a differant province?

Re: Insurance in a differant province?

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Many claims have been denied for much less severe cases of misrepresentation.
    absolutely, so I will **** them as much as I can before they **** me back eventually, because sooner or later, everyone gets ****ed!

^^^ did this diminish my credibility?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgY View Post
    absolutely, so I will **** them as much as I can before they **** me back eventually, because sooner or later, everyone gets ****ed!
    Believe what you want about whether or not you are being "screwed" by the insurance company. But believe me, the misrepresenting policyholder is the party that will be hurt the worst in the event of a claim. What would be a routine $500K liability claim for an honest policyholder would be financial ruin for someone pretending that they live in another province. You might screw your insurance company out of $5K - $10K before you are caught, but you could be screwing yourself out of millions. It's not worth the risk in my opinion . . . you might as well be uninsured completely.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Cycle View Post
    I assume she commutes back and forth to NY every day. If that's the case and the vehicle is rated for work or business and your agent / broker knows your commute to NY every day no problem.

Some insurers will allow a vehicle to be out of it's rated territory for as much as 180 days in a 365 day period. This is typically used to accomodate snow birds who drive their Buicks to Florida for 6 months a year, or the guy who goes to Alberta for 4 months to work on an oil rig.
    Your insurance company asks you when you purchase the policy whether it will be used outside of Canada. If you lied, then this is grounds for denial of coverage due to misrepresentation.

We asked the insurance company if our car is covered if used in the states and the 180 days /year apply. My wife works in NYC and she does not commute back. Anyway,back to reality, she decided to move back here and did't got me a bike.
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

A co-worker here has Quebec plates and has his car registered in Quebec and he has a Quebec license.

He works here in Ontario and lives here in Ontario....I'm not 100% sure but I think he has everything registered to his parents place in Quebec.

He recently got rear ended and the police HAD to be called because it was an out of province car. (Benefit #1)

His insurance took care of everything....wrote the car off and he now has a new car.

He says he has zero issues with insurance or with him working out of province.

He pays $500/year full coverage for his fancy new Acura sedan. (Benefit #2)

I don't blame the OP for wanting to have cheaper insurance....don't we all?

It seems like the insurance companies find every excuse to raise the premiums but ignore all the reasons to lower them.

I for one think it's BS that I pay the same amount for my 24 year old 500cc bike as someone on a newer F4i. I have never had a claim but my insurance goes up every year.

If I can find a way to pay less insurance with minimal risk of getting caught....hell....I'll do it.
    Last edited by slowbird; 12-16-2009 at 05:21 PM.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

^^^ point and case
    I wonder what VifferFun has to say

VifferFun has alot of insurance knowledge and is slightly biased since he works for 'em....but everyone has their opinion.
    Him and I have (and will probably always) have our disagreements

Maybe my friend here at work is one of the few that hasn't gotten caught?

Some people get away with things while others get nailed almost instantly.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36

I'm amazed at the number of know-it-alls in this forum.

Well, like my Mom always said, no sense getting into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

I'll remain silent on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    VifferFun has alot of insurance knowledge and is slightly biased since he works for 'em....but everyone has their opinion.
    Him and I have (and will probably always) have our disagreements

Maybe my friend here at work is one of the few that hasn't gotten caught?

Some people get away with things while others get nailed almost instantly.
    Yes, I work for the insurance industry, but I try my best not to be biased in my posts.

Any form of lying on your insurance application is misrepresentation. If you drive in Ontario, you must pay the premium calculated based on your usage. Claims in Ontario are severe and frequent, which is why the premiums are high. It sounds like the friend who got into an accident with Quebec plates got lucky. If the Claims Adjuster caught the red flag and did a little digging, the situation might have ended differently.

Platinum_Cycle, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this matter. If my posts are incorrect, please make sure that you straighten me out. What I have written is to the best of my knowledge based on what I have been told by people who work more closely with Claims than I do. I read "Investigation Files" for fun, because it is usually pretty funny what stupid things people think they can get away with.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

A co-worker here has Quebec plates and has his car registered in Quebec and he has a Quebec license.

He works here in Ontario and lives here in Ontario....I'm not 100% sure but I think he has everything registered to his parents place in Quebec.

He recently got rear ended and the police HAD to be called because it was an out of province car. (Benefit #1)

His insurance took care of everything....wrote the car off and he now has a new car.

He says he has zero issues with insurance or with him working out of province.

He pays $500/year full coverage for his fancy new Acura sedan. (Benefit #2)

I don't blame the OP for wanting to have cheaper insurance....don't we all?

It seems like the insurance companies find every excuse to raise the premiums but ignore all the reasons to lower them.

I for one think it's BS that I pay the same amount for my 24 year old 500cc bike as someone on a newer F4i. I have never had a claim but my insurance goes up every year.

If I can find a way to pay less insurance with minimal risk of getting caught....hell....I'll do it.
    Amazing! Good for him. May be you should do the same

Which insurer is charging the same rate for these two bikes? Most insurers will charge significantly more for a 600cc Sport bike than they would a 500cc bike. State Farm doesn't have a Sport Bike Surcharge, so perhaps they would charge the same rate for the 500-600cc bikes, regardless of class.

If you are paying the same rate as your friend with the F4i, are all other policy characteristics the exact same? What level of coverage do you each have?

Which insurer is charging the same rate for these two bikes? Most insurers will charge significantly more for a 600cc Sport bike than they would a 500cc bike. State Farm doesn't have a Sport Bike Surcharge, so perhaps they would charge the same rate for the 500-600cc bikes, regardless of class.

If you are paying the same rate as your friend with the F4i, are all other policy characteristics the exact same? What level of coverage do you each have?
    This is not correct. In prior years, yes. AFAIK State Farm currently charges by class, rather than strictly on CCs.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardTPC View Post
    This is not correct. In prior years, yes. AFAIK State Farm currently charges by class, rather than strictly on CCs.
    I think you are confusing another recent change made by State Farm.

To the best of my knowledge, State Farm does not rate based on Class (i.e. Sport, Cruiser, etc.) but rather based on CLEAR Rate Groups. CLEAR Rate Groups determine the relative cost to repair/replace one bike compared to another. There are Rate Groups for AB, Collision, and Comprehensive. I don't think that State Farm is using the Accident Benefits CLEAR Rate Groups for motorcycles, but rather just the Collision and Comprehensive. With this recent change (in the last year), State Farm will charge a slightly higher premium for more costly bikes (or bikes that are more likely to be stolen) if you are purchasing Collision and/or Comprehensive. In the past, a 2001 and a 2009 GSX-R600 would get the same rate, but now the '09 must pay a bit more. This has nothing to do with the Class of the bike.

For some details on CLEAR, refer to my other post here:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ighlight=CLEAR

Here is the IBC link for CLEAR information:
    http://www.ibc.ca/en/Car_Insurance/I...tion/Clear.asp
    Last edited by VifferFun; 12-17-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insurance-Broker View Post
    Amazing! Good for him. May be you should do the same
    Knowing my luck I'd get caught.

My information is from me getting quotes for another bike from my Statefarm agent.

When my insurance went up this year she told me that they changed their Motorcycle classifications and my bike is now lumped in with higher end bikes.

I was quoted approx $2.00 more per month for a 1998 F4 and $3.00 more per month for a 2003 F4i.

There is no logical reason that a 24 year old 500cc bike that doesn't even have full fairings can be compared to these 600cc machines!!
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36

Viffer,

I have no concerns with the accuracy of your posts, I know you explain things as honestly as possible.

You should also be commended for your patience with many of these posts. I for one can't be bothered. I welcome individuals attempting to misrepresent their policy, lie on claims etc.... It's what keeps me employed.

I also love seeing the family guy get a criminal record for attempting to save $500 on his premiums or a new paint job on his car. Great example to his kids. And trust me, it does happen.

In far too many instances attempting to explain something in this forum is like trying to get my door knob to talk back to me. It isn't going to happen. In some cases it's best just to leave people in their ignorance.

I can offer over 20 years of claims experience, it's a persons choice what they do with my advice. If they disagree with me so be it. To those people I can only say don't complain when your claim is denied.

^^
    20 years???
    you must be so wise, grandpa!

My information is from me getting quotes for another bike from my Statefarm agent.

When my insurance went up this year she told me that they changed their Motorcycle classifications and my bike is now lumped in with higher end bikes.

I was quoted approx $2.00 more per month for a 1998 F4 and $3.00 more per month for a 2003 F4i.

There is no logical reason that a 24 year old 500cc bike that doesn't even have full fairings can be compared to these 600cc machines!!
    Yes, State Farm did implement the CLEAR tables this year (at least for Collision and Comprehensive) but my point is that they didn't start surcharging Sport bikes -- rather, they are charging more premium for physical damage coverage on higher-value (or commonly stolen) bikes. I think this makes sense.

I'm not sure why your old bike is being rated similar to these newer (and presumably higher valued) bikes. State Farm's rates do not always make sense to me. With such an old and lower-displacement bike, you woudl probably get a more competitive rate with a company like Jevco or TD anyways. Have you comparison shopped for your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Cycle View Post
    Viffer,

I have no concerns with the accuracy of your posts, I know you explain things as honestly as possible.

You should also be commended for your patience with many of these posts. I for one can't be bothered. I welcome individuals attempting to misrepresent their policy, lie on claims etc.... It's what keeps me employed.

I also love seeing the family guy get a criminal record for attempting to save $500 on his premiums or a new paint job on his car. Great example to his kids. And trust me, it does happen.

In far too many instances attempting to explain something in this forum is like trying to get my door knob to talk back to me. It isn't going to happen. In some cases it's best just to leave people in their ignorance.

I can offer over 20 years of claims experience, it's a persons choice what they do with my advice. If they disagree with me so be it. To those people I can only say don't complain when your claim is denied.
    Some people understand the explanations, some people choose not to understand, and some people just want to vent. I don't think that will ever change

I think that sometime in my career, I would like to work a year or two in Claims, just to get an idea of how things work. It seems quite interesting. Working on the investigation team would be a lot of fun IMO

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgY View Post
    ^^
    20 years???
    you must be so wise, grandpa!
    After being in an industry for 20 years, you bet he would learn and know a lot!

I'm not sure why your old bike is being rated similar to these newer (and presumably higher valued) bikes. State Farm's rates do not always make sense to me. With such an old and lower-displacement bike, you woudl probably get a more competitive rate with a company like Jevco or TD anyways. Have you comparison shopped for your bike?
    My policy is for Liability and Theft/Fire only. I don't even wanna know what I'll pay if I dropped collision on there too.

I tried Primmum but they wanted double.

An insurance agent on here gave me a quote with Jevco (I think) and it was pretty much the same.

I've been trying to get in touch with Duffy but so far so fail.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36