So you think the AMA is bad!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So you think the AMA is bad!!

So you think the AMA is bad!!

Looks like Colin Strikes again!
    I'm sure this really helps roadracing in Canada grow!

YZF-R1 Models No Longer Approved for Pro Superbike Feature
    Toronto, ON – Among the agenda items for today’s meeting of the Parts Canada Superbike Championship Road Race Management Group was an explanation regarding the status of Yamaha models in the 2010 National Championship. With the opening day of the winter Canadian Motorcycle Show season slated for the downtown Toronto Convention Centre this Friday, December 11, series organizers considered it essential to immediately clarify the rules for next season.

In November, Yamaha Canada announced that they were withdrawing from the National tour, both in terms of series support and rider/team involvement. Previously, the six major manufacturers directly involved in the Parts Canada Superbike Championship contributed equally to the series structure, including support of the television broadcast package.

At the meeting, the following items were specified for the 2010 Parts Canada Superbike Championship:

1. No 2010, new model OE Yamahas will be allowed to participate in any of the series classes;

2. The 1000cc Yamaha YZF-R1 model, in all years of production, will not be allowed to compete in the Pro Superbike class. No such restrictions will apply to existing 600cc YZF-R6 models.

“Our biggest concern is the privateer or club level racer with existing Yamaha equipment,” confirmed Colin Fraser of the series organizers, Professional Motorsports Productions. “The vast majority of Yamaha riders utilize 600s, and we agreed that it was in everyone’s best interests to allow these existing machines to continue to compete.”

Organizers added that they plan, and look forward to, reinstating Yamaha in the Feature category when the manufacturer is able to return to participate in the Parts Canada Superbike Championship Series.

Teen-aged sensation Jodi Christie earned the 2008 Armour Bodies Amateur 600 Sport Bike National Championship aboard a Yamaha YZF-R6. Linnley Clarke and Pascal Picotte took Yoshimura Pro 600 Sport Bike crowns aboard Yamaha 600cc production bikes.

Re: So you think the AMA is bad!!

So even if your not a factory rider, you still can't use an R1 to race? What a rediculous decision! I would hate to be the guy who seen this new crossplane crankshaft R1 come out, buy it, equip it to be a race contender and now its a total waste and good for only track days... Oh man that would be horrible.

What exactly is Yamaha's motive in doing this? Yeah racing probably doesn't produce the highest revenue for them but to basically boycott the R1! Whats the motive?We dont want to support you at all, so much so that we wont allow you to support yourself?!

Big Clap!
    This was part of a conversation from another thread.
    Racing is dead here. The old thinkers running the show got greedy and forgot what it's about. The proof is here now. Track days are overpriced. The tracks are in bad shape. No fan base. No attempts to grow a fan base. The Manufactures no longer support racing in Canada.

It seems Ken and SOAR along with TMP are the only ones trying to do something for the beginners.

What will he do when Kawasaki pulls out?
    Have a race with Nike and Rebok?

Good move Colin. Please keep it going.
    I hope Professional Racing in Canada collapses. This will force a change as it seems these old guys are still sticking to their interests.
    Don't take life too seriously ... nobody gets out alive anyway

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyEh View Post

What exactly is Yamaha's motive in doing this? Yeah racing probably doesn't produce the highest revenue for them but to basically boycott the R1! Whats the motive?We dont want to support you at all, so much so that we wont allow you to support yourself?!
    Its PMP the series organizer that banned the R1, not Yamaha.
    Looks like Fraser is having a negative effect on the Canadian series (which he owns) AND the US series (where is the the series Race Director).
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Racing in Canada use to be great I have so many fantastic memories! In all the years I did the National series I would of rather watched the Superbike race instead of compete in it because i didn't want to miss watching it and when I did race in it I couldn't wait to see it later on TV (I still have every race on tape from 1987 and on).
    Funny thing is that many years ago I thought that the people running racing in Canada were doing good things for racing in Canada but the last few years (ok maybe 10+) I question that, they had made some stupid selfish/greedy decisions. I know money talks but this is just plain Stupid! It's too bad about what has happened to racing since RACE ran the series.
    I'm glad that I'm not racing anymore because this would have made me way more upset than I am already and not because I was a Yamaha rider! Now as an armchair racer I am very thankful for WSBK and MotoGP.

My opinion on SOAR? well I did write a long post then I decided to keep my opinion to myself for the time being and wait to see if they'll step it up 3 or 4 levels from where they are now.

I thought it makes sense to protect the OE supporters this way, given how little appeal there already seems to be, the series can't afford to lose the OE support by letting them get into the show 'for free' like Yamaha would have done.

Or am I missing something here?
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    I thought it makes sense to protect the OE supporters this way, given how little appeal there already seems to be, the series can't afford to lose the OE support by letting them get into the show 'for free' like Yamaha would have done.

Or am I missing something here?
    i think you hit the nail on the head - this is punishment for yamaha..... not jumping on board to support racing. allowing R6's IS an attempt to keep yamaha racers on the track.

but, for someone with an already race prep'd R1 its just a terrible kick to the nuts.

YAMAHA ARE YOU LISTENING? GET ON BOARD!
    DEMOCRACY - NOT PLUTOCRACY www.globalresearch.ca

RACE was more supportive of the amateur/privateer (former 80's/ early 90's racer experience).
    PMP only wants to support it's banker.

The AMA is going to fall apart. PMP is on the ropes.
    The Grass Roots/local guys are starting to grow.
    1999 GSXR-600 SRAD

Quote Originally Posted by boyoboy View Post
    i think you hit the nail on the head - this is punishment for yamaha..... not jumping on board to support racing. allowing R6's IS an attempt to keep yamaha racers on the track.

but, for someone with an already race prep'd R1 its just a terrible kick to the nuts.

YAMAHA ARE YOU LISTENING? GET ON BOARD!
    Do you really think Yamaha gives a rats pooh about some no name Canadian half pooh racing series? No they do not. They along with the other Manufacturers are pulling out of Canadian Racing. The main thing that sells bikes in Canada is the look and the idea of belonging to a brand. Honda proved the point by never having a Canadian Factory team for over 5 years now. They just added the Repsol stickers and orange wheels and people line up to buy it. Yamaha is now offering a Rossi Fiat Replica bike. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Dogg View Post
    Do you really think Yamaha gives a rats pooh about some no name Canadian half pooh racing series? No they do not.
    Have you ever actually MET any of the decision makers at Yamaha?

I can tell you haven't, because they are very enthusiastic about Canadian racing, John Bayliss is always at the races and knows each and every racer on a Yamaha. The fact is that Yamaha has had a skeleton program for years, Suzuki and kawasaki have had the richest contingency programs and yet there are as many Yamahas on the grid as Suzukis.

Yamaha Motor Canada can't spend beyond the budget, no matter how much they want to stay in the game. Don't take a very tough decision and rub their noses in it, they deserve better than that.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com

Yamaha Canada has done more for the sport then any other manufacturer over the last 25 years.Their support for a general cross section of the sport has been better then anyone. They have helped regional racers as well as National racers ,as well as the infrastructure around it all.
    When I ran the Can-Am they were the only Mfg'er to call me to offer support.
    So it's sad that Yamaha is not in,as well as Suzuki,, but the support they have provided to the entire sport has been paramount. As Franz says, if you know their history,, they deserve better.

Quote Originally Posted by john bickle View Post
    Yamaha Canada has done more for the sport then any other manufacturer over the last 25 years.Their support for a general cross section of the sport has been better then anyone. They have helped regional racers as well as National racers ,as well as the infrastructure around it all.
    When I ran the Can-Am they were the only Mfg'er to call me to offer support.
    So it's sad that Yamaha is not in,as well as Suzuki,, but the support they have provided to the entire sport has been paramount. As Franz says, if you know their history,, they deserve better.
    I agree

So it's sad that Yamaha is not in,as well as Suzuki,, but the support they have provided to the entire sport has been paramount. As Franz says, if you know their history,, they deserve better............. Maybe so, but JB as with some of things you did when you ran the Can-Am series you know you can't make evryone happy all the time......... I personelly don't think for one minute PMP is doing this to get back at anybody, Yamaha has withdrawn its support from Road Racing (they are still participating in other forms of motorsports.........) Suzuki........ still have to wait and see if the GSXR's will be legal (they have withdrawn a "FACTORY" race team, they still may support the series )...... but the Colin "BASHING" is getting a little old, if you really don't like the series the way it is structured right now, don't run it, don't support it, as others have said there is a lot of racing this year without the PCSC......... pick your series (RACE, SOAR, ASM.......Atlantic series, Calgary has a series) and run them............ BG:

BG,
    I'm not say anything about racing anymore, can't fix something that doesn't want fixing. It ,is what it is and I don't care why or who,,,moving on!
    Don't care if Triumph is in, Aprillia,Hyosung,Suzuki or who ever.
    Love racing,love watching good racing. Respect what PMP has done and it's sad the program is what it is or maybe not,, well beyond my ability or anyone on this forums ability to fix. Maybe it doesn't need fixing.

Just saying Yamaha, has been good to many in this sport. Regionally and Nationally. NOTHING to do with racing! NOTHING to do with slamming anybody, NOTHING to do with liking or disliking anybody anything or any series. Yamaha has had a great past of support. Wish them well in their new approach and thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by john bickle View Post
    BG, Just saying Yamaha, has been good to many in this sport. Regionally and Nationally. NOTHING to do with racing! NOTHING to do with slamming anybody, NOTHING to do with liking or disliking anybody anything or any series. Yamaha has had a great past of support. Wish them well in their new approach and thanks for the memories.
    ........... Agreed.......... Yamaha did lots and they will be missed............... (but, I find it hard to believe they couldn't agree to something..........NO R1's......)BG

Quote Originally Posted by Ben G View Post
    ........... Agreed(but, I find it hard to believe they couldn't agree to something..........NO R1's......)BG
    I totally agree, but like I said,, ,,, baffled,,,,,,moving on!

Still stuck in the past are we.
    If they love it so much and believe in it then why withdraw.
    It's like a marriage. Do you get a divorce but go on to say we are still married or the great things I did in the past should negate my decisions and actions today? The ballgame changes once you sign that dotted line.

I guess Yamaha is not so committed today as they were 10+ years ago. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

Still stuck in the past are we.
    We're helpless, please show us the way.

If they love it so much and believe in it then why withdraw.
    It's like a marriage. Do you get a divorce but go on to say we are still married or the great things I did in the past should negate my decisions and actions today? The ballgame changes once you sign that dotted line.

I guess Yamaha is not so committed today as they were 10+ years ago. The proof is in the pudding as they say.
    So sponsoring racing is like a marriage, when you pay up you're a prince, when you lose your job and the money dries up you're a blood-sucking bastard who'll never see his kids again?
    Just checking that we're still talking business decisions here.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com

Still stuck in the past are we...............I guess Yamaha is not so committed today as they were 10+ years ago. The proof is in the pudding as they say.
    ............ ..10+ years ago, stuck in the past...............so Yamahas efforts for 2004, 2005, 2006 with Pascal Picotte performance , Kevin lacombe, 2007's Fast Co. and Crevier, 2008's Fast Co and Lacombe, 2009s OSTFF and Lacombe and Nelson and Maclean.......... these are all big dollar factory Yamaha road racing efforts, you have been following racing in Canada how long..........??? the only proof here, you know very little about Canadian Motorcycle road racing........ BG

Quote Originally Posted by Ben G View Post
    ............ ..10+ years ago, stuck in the past...............so Yamahas efforts for 2004, 2005, 2006 with Pascal Picotte performance , Kevin lacombe, 2007's Fast Co. and Crevier, 2008's Fast Co and Lacombe, 2009s OSTFF and Lacombe and Nelson and Maclean.......... these are all big dollar factory Yamaha road racing efforts, you have been following racing in Canada how long..........??? the only proof here, you know very little about Canadian Motorcycle road racing........ BG
    I would have stopped the final sentence at 'little'.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    He's not the only one with a personality disorder on this website. He just 'acquired' his. Others are born with theirs.