HWY Traffic act fines to increase Jan 2010 - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: HWY Traffic act fines to increase Jan 2010

Re: HWY Traffic act fines to increase Jan 2010

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    Definitely can be voted out, but he still has to serve the rest of his term. I believe we should have a mid-term vote of confidence or a way to oust bad MPs without having to suffer through 4 years.

I've seen you mention the declining ballot on the forum, but how many average people know the process? I feel Elections Canada should do a better job informing the public of the entire electoral process. As well there should be a mandatory course in high school!
    As I stated this is an Ontario option. It's not available at the Federal elections level, despite Elections Canada recommending that it be made so almost a decade ago.

Average people should know the process because it is their responsibility to. Elections Canada provides all of this information online, in print form, and available via phone call. They can't make you read it.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    As I stated this is an Ontario option. It's not available at the Federal elections level, despite Elections Canada recommending that it be made so almost a decade ago.

Average people should know the process because it is their responsibility to. Elections Canada provides all of this information online, in print form, and available via phone call. They can't make you read it.
    It should be taught at high school level. I'm a firm believer that 'life skills' such as sewing, wood working, cooking, basic car mechanics, first aid, politics should be taught and tested just the same as Math and English. In order to receive a high school diploma you should have to demonstrate that you've learned these skills, regardless of skill level in the field.

But people are ignorant and somewhat jaded about the political process and I can't really blame them, we continuously get screwed over by corrupt politicians. The real problem with our political process is it consists of almost solely of 'university graduated professionals' and doesn't really represent the common-man makeup of the population.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

And I disagree. I think that it's the general laziness of the average voter (or in far too many cases the non-voter) that has effectively given our politicians license to do as they please. If you don't 'ride herd' on your employee and he starts to loaf off, steal office supplies, and abuse the company credit card, then who is REALLY to blame?
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 12-17-2009 at 01:23 PM.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

If people are only being educated by the media, they're not getting the right information to make proper decisions. Not everybody has the training to cut through the b.s.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Just received an email relating to these increases:

http://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2009/1...-offences.html

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    Definitely can be voted out, but he still has to serve the rest of his term. I believe we should have a mid-term vote of confidence or a way to oust bad MPs without having to suffer through 4 years.

I've seen you mention the declining ballot on the forum, but how many average people know the process? I feel Elections Canada should do a better job informing the public of the entire electoral process. As well there should be a mandatory course in high school!
    In provincial elections tell the elections officer you want to decline the ballot. Don't take it and scribble on it, that's not the same, that's a spoiled vote.

I did this last time for the bunch of lame assed self centred, self interested same-olds up for election here.

Apparently this won't work in Federal elections though, it's just counted as a rejected ballot along with blank ballots etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRider View Post
    Just received an email relating to these increases:

http://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2009/1...-offences.html
    The usual government propaganda. All I hear from cops and politicians is their complaints about aggressive drivers and speeders. Well here is a list of the top ten peeves that real people have regarding drivers in Ontario.

http://trafficservicestps.blogspot.c...r-driving.html

The statement in the side bar was a pretty accurate observation about driving in our society.
    All of this orchestrated mayhem is called the, "Urban Traffic Environment". Roads with speeds that vary from 30 k to 90 k within feet of each other, schools beside highways with parks divided by high speed roads all co-exist in forming a road user experience that demands focus, awareness and co-operation.
    Road safety is everyone's responsibility...do your part. Pay attention, stay alert and stay alive.

Although never mentioned by fantino or sgt. wolly we do have the safest roads in NA. Considering how municipalities, due to poor planning create traffic mayhem by allowing malls and plazas to be built too close together. As well, allow their entrances to be too close to intersections, its a wonder there are not more accidents.

I also think that municipalities should not be the recipients of fines. These local politicians cannot be trusted to properly manage police resources in a way that protects the public's best interests. I think that when Federal level politicians promise hiring more cops to deal with crime, local politicians divert them to traffic law enforcement. Instead of dealing real crime that concerns the average citizen ie. B&E's to homes and cars, vandalism, etc we get traffic cops earning over a 100 grand a year from overtime due to court appearances.

Check out the Ontario government salary disclosure website
    http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publicat...9/munic09.html

Go to municipalities. Look for the different police service boards. I was amazed at the number of regular constables making>100k/year. Thats from court time. So tell me that there are not a certain number of cops that are overly aggresive in writing tickets knowing people will have no choice but to try and fight the ticket vs. a ridiculously high fine.
    Bad Example

"Ontario's roads are the safest in all North America - and these tougher penalties for unsafe driving practices will help keep motorists safe."

– Jim Bradley
    Minister of Transportation
    _______

"Higher fines for convictions will be another effective tool to help make Ontario roads safer... especially if it gets the attention of irresponsible and reckless drivers."

– Julian Fantino
    Ontario Provincial Police Commissione

What is next? Higher fines for exhausts and license plate lights ?