BMW S1000RR = 183HP on the wheel :( - Page 3

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW S1000RR = 183HP on the wheel :(

Re: BMW S1000RR = 183HP on the wheel :(

I agree that it is a little suspicious that the BMW makes that much more hp then the rest of the bikes in its class. Then again its possible to make a whole bunch of peak power and be way off the other 75% of the way up the rpms depending on a bunch of other factors.

I think BMW is being very smart about the launch of this thing. Lets say its not lacking at all in the motor department, that its electronics and abs are top notch and the fact that they have priced it very competitively. I think it will be a good thing for the 1000cc class.

The thing about german vs japanese really doesn't mean much. The japanese can build crap, so can the germans, they can also both build very good stuff. It all depends....

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I agree that it is a little suspicious that the BMW makes that much more hp then the rest of the bikes in its class. ....
    I don't get it, why would it be suspicious? BMW is a notorious engine maker, and they designed this engine from a clean sheet. With the latest techonology available to one of the greatest engine makers in the world, years of F1 and racing motor experience, its not possible to build a world class engine?

I agree that reliability will be important to this bike. BMW swears up and down that they went to great strides to make this thing reliable. Understandably, some will be choosing to wait a year to see for others, how the bike fairs after a year of ownership. Then again, with a 3 year, unlimited mileage, including free roadside assistance standard on this bike, I think this is good reassurance. I like to think too that this is an important bike for BMW and their long term well being, as sportsbike owners tend to be a picky and demanding lot, and any problems that make themselves manifest will be dealt with promptly.

I'm going to guess BMW knowing how important this launch is to them having any success getting into the Literbike younger owner market are not going to screw this up.
    They looked at every engine type than settled on the inline 4 set in a frame just like the japanese, put on normal tele forks not some crazy trailing link thing, chain drive because thats what real performance bikes have.

Then give it ABS that works, selective 4 position traction control linked to lean angle, assisted full throttle upshift? And sell it for about the same as an R1.

This will be a great moment for BMW, but the downside will be like an 1198, the insurance will put it out of reach for most.

Banned

I don't have any doubts that this bike is gonna be an awesome all-around package and a competitive literbike, there's no question about that. BMW couldn't screw that up.

I'm just saying that its not gonna dyno 30 more horsepower than the new generation of Japanese bikes. Those kinds of leaps are very hard to make when you're constrained to 999cc engine size. Yes BMW has all kinds of experience in racing and engine manufacturing but so what? Honda doesn't? Yamaha doesn't? Not only have these other guys been making engines for a long time they have way more experience in this segment than BMW. And they design their engines from clean sheets too, and they race in MotoGP, WSBK, AMA, you name it.

The idea that the Japanese aren't extracting the most that can be extracted from a production 1L motorcycle engine and that BMW comes along out of nowhere and blows them away by 30 rear wheel horsepower is what I have trouble swallowing.

SunnyS no need to get defensive, I like BMW bikes. Drool over the HP2 sport every time I see one and I almost bought a K1200S back a few years ago. But they're not magicians over there in Germany. Plus, I ride what their Austrian neighbours are making.

Quote Originally Posted by thebutler View Post
    plus, i ride what their austrian neighbours are making.
    lol.

Drool over the HP2 sport every time I see one
    rode the HP2 before, that thing is a beast.
    everything from the brakes to the engine and to the clutch/tranny is just 100% perfect.

only thing is, styling is not that great and there is no passenger seat, therefore you can't take girls for a ride

Banned

I think the styling is amazing and looking at the HP2 Sport next to the new S1000RR yesterday at the show, it's a MUCH nicer bike. The tail section, massive exhaust piping, single side swingarm... drool, all over it.

No passenger seat, the way it's meant to be! Why ruin your shiny 25k sportbike by adding an extra 120lbs to the tail section anyway?

Because there is a certain petty satisfaction in catching and passing sport bikes while riding with a passenger.

I
    No passenger seat, the way it's meant to be! Why ruin your shiny 25k sportbike by adding an extra 120lbs to the tail section anyway?
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Quote Originally Posted by ASHES View Post
    You must be on crack to beleive that german engineering supersedes japanese engineering.
    Everyone can produce engines with outstanding power output, but will it be reliable? How reliable is your supersports bike going to be if you can't even produce reliable 3 series cars and k1300s.
    For the record, the honda s2000, and the civic si are producing nearly 100hp per litre without even trying.

What i don't like about the japanese is that they don't have any identity. They just try to comform to what they see others doing. No styling vision; especially with car's whatsoever.
    Lots of people put alot of miles on BMW motorcycles. Didn't the S2000 have quite a few problems with things like transmissions?

BTW have you seen where Suzuki cars rank in reliability?

Isn't this the bike they have been flogging all year at WSB or something pretty close to it? They have been developing this bike for a while now and I have no doubt that it will be a success.
    If I had the coin, I would take number one off the dealer floor, odd headlights and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    He's not the only one with a personality disorder on this website. He just 'acquired' his. Others are born with theirs.

183.83HP and 80.61lb-ft of torque on wheel

i feel sick.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post

saw the white/blue one at the bike show. HOT HOT HOT.

Saw one in the flesh today. Wow. Nice machine. Definitely looks better in person. The front end doesn't look as odd as I thought it would. I still think this bike is too much for anybody on the street. Track riders, rejoice!

ASHES

murf, look , i like bmw alot, there is no chance in hell they can produce a 30hp advantage bike over the the big 4. This is exactly what happened in 2002 i think with the gsxr 1000. 180hp the presses were claiming. In actually it was more like 140hp. To this date, i doubt any i litre is outputing 180hp from the factory.
    i will give you my first born son in two years, along with the ownership papers if the s1000 scores first in any mag. we shall also see how reliable it is, even if trailing by 15hp.

Quote Originally Posted by ASHES View Post
    i will give you my first born son in two years, along with the ownership papers if the s1000 scores first in any mag. we shall also see how reliable it is, even if trailing by 15hp.
    Were you drunk when you wrote this?

Banned

If you think this bike is too much for anybody on the street then so are all the other literbikes, because it won't be much faster than any of em.

This bike looks and feels awsome from when i sat on it at the bike show, pictures do not do it justice, if only they made a 600 or 750 version I would be clearing up funds to buy one next year.

With standard abs traction control brembo calipers all for less than 1grand more over a gsxr1k even if it doesn't live up to the claimed 183 rwhp this is probably the nicest litre bike out there right now.

saw the bike today, looks so much better in person. it is not ugly at all!

for sure it is a hit with the crowd. there is usually a line up to get on that bike lol

i sat on this bike and saw it at the show. I want it.... only thing i didn't like is the prong like break lights which i'm sure can be replaced with after market.

For those saying its too much... its never too much. I ride a gsxr 1000 and it feels slow even when i beat on it