problem w/ winterizing - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: problem w/ winterizing

Re: problem w/ winterizing

Quote Originally Posted by zoomerthe1 View Post
    Normal Dev: I wouldn't rag on everyone for the confusion. Obviously the OP is/was very panicky. The timeline on some of the responses are right on top of the original postings. Yes, the 2 you quoted are later, but I think they were well intentioned & they do mirror everyone's initial incredulity over buying/borrowing a gas can. In fact your comment about the apt reeking adds little as the OP was told over & over again the same thing before your post. The OP also started another panicked thread about snow on his bike. I suspect the OP has purchased a bike without knowing much about bikes & hasn't got much money, otherwise they could have just had someone do it all for them, including storeage. The thread is really kind of sad to me, not funny. What I dislike about the OP is the juvenile bragging about how they're going to impress all of us with the mods they plan on doing themselves over the winter when they can't even do simple maintenance. A humbler approach would have been appreciated. I do agree with you, however, the OP should have thought about all of this last month.

actually, i moved from Cali to Canada and this is my bikes first winter.

i've been riding a SS for 2 years, bought my bike @ 19

I complained about buying a gas can because i live on my own and pay my way through school.

12 dollars for gas can is taking a 6 pack from my diet

Quote Originally Posted by r6_ View Post
    I complained about buying a gas can because i live on my own and pay my way through school.

+1

I agree with the 'take the tank off' folks. Storing indoors would be great, but is a health/fire hazard especially in a small apartment... I'd just remove the tank entirely... especially if you're planning on doing work to the bike anyways over the winter.

'02 ZX6R

You are not expecting to be taken seriously after a comment like that, do you? People give you advice on how to proceed and your response is that you cannot buy a gas can (which you may actually need) because then you won't be able to buy beer?
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

So I guess I'll throw this in here, I was putting in stabilizer in the tank and I accidentally put a little more than I should have, say roughly about an inch more? I kept it running for about 10-12 minutes (about 78 degrees on the bike).

Any harm? Hope not.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by thefzk View Post
    So I guess I'll throw this in here, I was putting in stabilizer in the tank and I accidentally put a little more than I should have, say roughly about an inch more? I kept it running for about 10-12 minutes (about 78 degrees on the bike).

Any harm? Hope not.
    You must be conscientious if you know exactly how much gas your tank holds. i.e. it shouldn't do any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieRev View Post
    If your storing your bike indoors, drain the tank and carbs, you don't have to worry about your fuel tank rusting when stored indoors where its warm
    ^^^This. Condensation doesn't form where temperatures are constant.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by 08CBR1000 View Post
    You can't afford a gas can but your going to blow us away with puting parts on your bike!
    OK!

I put all my money into nightclub events for the 22nd of Dec and new years eve + the lawyer to review my investment documents + christmas gifts among all the other things I need money for to support my lifestyle. My credit card was at max the night I had to buy a gas can.. I also only had a couple dollars left to my name after shuving my money in. By Jan 2nd, I'll be somewhat loaded and have the money to play with on putting time into my ride.

I managed to buy the gas can... all is good.

In terms of this thread being under the new riders section, I find that a slap in the face. Yes, it is a first winter for my bike seeing snow... but I am in no way a noob. I know how to ride and am not a fish.

Yes, by Feb, I will post pics of my ride. It'll be a long dubious task of detailing and installing fresh parts. The estimate I have calculated in parts is almost $2000. from the front/middle/rear. All aftermarket. It's going to be one bad *** R6.

-r6
    Last edited by r6_; 12-12-2009 at 09:41 PM.

In terms of this thread being under the new riders section, I find that a slap in the face. Yes, it is a first winter for my bike seeing snow... but I am in no way a noob. I know how to ride and am not a fish.
    This section helps other people who can be new riders. Winterizing a bike is something that most riders, especially the new ones, will sooner or later encounter. Your experience can help these people. Having a post in this subforum is not a projection of your riding skills, no part of this thread has anything to do with actually riding a bike.

I can move this thread to the technical section, if you really want that.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

r6: Sorry dude.....had there been a serious or even a minor issue with what you stated in your 1st post, sarcasm would be the last response I, or just about anyone else on this site would throw at you.
    You've had several good responses, take your pick. Fire excluded, any suggestion you've been given will get you thru the winter, the stabil won't damage your bike at all.
    You can always do a search on this site, easily. Most topics have been beaten to death 4 and 5 times.

(I'll give you $750.........lowballers are on the loose)..........j/k.

I put all my money into nightclub events for the 22nd of Dec and new years eve + the lawyer to review my investment documents + christmas gifts among all the other things I need money for to support my lifestyle. My credit card was at max the night I had to buy a gas can.. I also only had a couple dollars left to my name after shuving my money in. By Jan 2nd, I'll be somewhat loaded and have the money to play with on putting time into my ride.

I managed to buy the gas can... all is good.

Yes, by Feb, I will post pics of my ride. It'll be a long dubious task of detailing and installing fresh parts. The estimate I have calculated in parts is almost $2000. from the front/middle/rear. All aftermarket. It's going to be one bad *** R6.

-r6
    El Zilcho..... excellent point! This thread will eventually become useful to someone... somewhere.... And R6 ..... sorry, but $2000 in mods is a drop in the bucket. That will buy you a full system..... and thats it. That won't even get you close to bad*** .....

Advice for you... pay off you credit card first.
    Last edited by normal_deviation; 12-13-2009 at 08:44 AM.