problem w/ winterizing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem w/ winterizing

problem w/ winterizing

the roads are ice.. i do not have a car.

I can't walk to a gas station and fill gas in a water bottle. It's against regulations. Gas containers are 2 expensive.

As of right now, my bike is outside and I will be bringing it into my apartment tonight and leaving it in my room.

I have the fuel stabilizer and my gas tank is about more/or less than half filled.

If I can put the stabilizer in a tank thats half full, will it be good for the winter?

I don't see the idea of having the gas tank filled to the top as long as the carbs are stabilized.

When I put the stabilizer in, I should mix it with a wooden spoon and let the bike run for 10-15 min to let the stabilizer set in.

All is good?

Re: problem w/ winterizing

Without the tank being full the condensation can rust the inside of the tank. If you can't fill it then just drain the tank completely and fill it again in the spring

Quote Originally Posted by ATTS View Post
    Without the tank being full the condensation can rust the inside of the tank. If you can't fill it then just drain the tank completely and fill it again in the spring

can i stabilize it, bring it into my apartment and in a couple days, add more gas to my tank to make it completely full ?

Dude.... seriously... canadian tire $4.99 for a 5L gas can.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/search/search_results.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6672077&bmUID=1260320601654

P.S. hope you like the smell of gas in your apartment.

Linky broken.... not my fault .... crappy tire's fault....

The problem in this situation is not the topping of the tank in a few days, it's the topping of your tank in your apt. Having fuel in the tank (which is vented to atomosphere btw) is a bad enough situation.

Everyone can go ahead and harp on me and tell me it's been done, and it was no problem and blah blah blah....it doesn't make it safe or good for your health.

I would go with empty your tank completely instead if you must bring it indoors or pay for a place to store it in a garage.
    You can't fix stupid

I don't see why not! Mix it, Run it, bring inside and when you have time add more fuel. Sounds good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stumph View Post
    I don't see why not! Mix it, Run it, bring inside and when you have time add more fuel. Sounds good to me!

i just bought the gas can and added stabilizer.

im waiting for my batt to get a full charge because the cold drained the batt.

ill add stabilizer and then bring the bike into my room around 2 am tonight.

ill post pics of ride in my apt.

im going to work on bike all winter.

detailing, adding parts. its going to blow gtam away

If your storing your bike indoors, drain the tank and carbs, you don't have to worry about your fuel tank rusting when stored indoors where its warm

Some gas stations may rent you a gas container with a small deposit. You return the container and get your deposit back. That's how some stations work when people run out of gas.

Keeping gas in your apartment would be dangerous and smelly. I'd rather drain the tank. If you have a balcony you could put the tank there.

So this is my problem -

My bike won't start in this cold weather - i've had to charge the batt. 2 times and I even called one of my friends who went out of his way to use some portable jump starter for 5 min. It didn't work.

The stabilizer is inside a full gas tank but I cannot start bike to get stabilizer into the carb.

If I bring the bike inside tonight, should I just empty the tank and flush the carbs out?

Quote Originally Posted by r6_ View Post
    If I bring the bike inside tonight, should I just empty the tank and flush the carbs out?
    Drain the gas out of the tank. Detach the tank and put some oil in it. Turn the tank around so that oil covers all the walls of the tank. Edit: the oil may not be necessary, but make sure you don't get water condensation inside of the tank.

Drain the carbs.

You may want to spray some fogging oil in the cylinders. The danger here is of rust inside of cylinder walls. If it's warm then I think the risk of that is smaller.

Put something soft under the tires, so that they don't develop flat spots from sitting in one place for a long time.

Hook up the battery to a battery tender.

Other than that you should be ok.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

This sounds like another "I told you so" serious lack of planning.
    Anything past November in riding is a bonus. Every ride requires a post ride clean up and prep. It also sounds like you might already have old gas in the tank or carb/spark plug fouling.
    Please rethink storing the bike in your apartment. If you follow El Zicho's advice you'll be more than o.k.
    It appears you already put stabilizer in the tank & have a full tank. I trust you sloshed it around a bit. For sure drain the carbs. Throw some wood planks under the tires. Take the battery out if you don't have a tender. Lube the chain. Throw a sheet or tarp over it. And leave it alone, don't touch it until riding weather.
    If you can't do that, then at the very least drain the carbs. If you can't drain the carbs, (& I'm guessing that if you can't do that then you don't know how to take the carbs apart) save your x-mas money for a tow/carb clean in spring.
    Got Torque?

Quote Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
    Drain the gas out of the tank. Detach the tank and put some oil in it. Turn the tank around so that oil covers all the walls of the tank. Edit: the oil may not be necessary, but make sure you don't get water condensation inside of the tank.

Drain the carbs.
    This.

Maybe you don't need to do the oil thing because you're storing it inside and it'll only be for a few months, but its not a bad idea. Maybe some 2-stroke tcw-3 certified oil....or the fogging oil. In any case, if you can't get the bike to run, definitely drain the carbs.

And for the record, I started running seafoam in my bike at the end of October. That way it's circulated throughout the system REALLY well.

And if you can't afford a gas can......God help you.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomerthe1 View Post
    If you can't do that, then at the very least drain the carbs. If you can't drain the carbs, (& I'm guessing that if you can't do that then you don't know how to take the carbs apart) save your x-mas money for a tow/carb clean in spring.
    C'mon seriously, it is not imperative to drain the carbs, esp considering the bike is being stored indoors. You guys with seafoam/fuel stabilizer and draining carbs rituals every winter make me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    C'mon seriously, it is not imperative to drain the carbs, esp considering the bike is being stored indoors. You guys with seafoam/fuel stabilizer and draining carbs rituals every winter make me laugh.
    I'm not going to argue with you. I know what I need to do from bitter experience & from years of being the family lawnmower boy. Cleaning carbs is not one of my fun activiities & for five minutes worth of work the benefit outweighs the risk. I also know from my own experience how quickly gas can go "off". I store indoors.
    Last edited by zoomerthe1; 12-09-2009 at 09:23 AM.
    Got Torque?

Quote Originally Posted by r6_ View Post
    can i stabilize it, bring it into my apartment and in a couple days, add more gas to my tank to make it completely full ?
    If you have the gas tank in your apartment (empty or full) and there is a fire (even completely unrelated to the bike), your insurance company may deny your claim. Do yourself a favor and take the tank off and leave it outside your apartment.

if you are poor.....or cant get your hands on one....i'd use a windsheld washer fluid bottle.

stick it in your backpack, and go home with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBoy View Post
    Some gas stations may rent you a gas container with a small deposit. You return the container and get your deposit back. That's how some stations work when people run out of gas.

Keeping gas in your apartment would be dangerous and smelly. I'd rather drain the tank. If you have a balcony you could put the tank there.
    Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    if you are poor.....or cant get your hands on one....i'd use a windsheld washer fluid bottle.

stick it in your backpack, and go home with it.
    Guys.... try reading all the posts before responding.......... he ended up buying a gas can...... ..... wow, this thread is kinda funny. Its gotten so much more complicated than it should really be. To the OP .... do yourself a favour and buy a manual and do some reading over the winter.......... sorry, but if you can't fix or do a little maintenance on your own bike ...... well................. .... ... you NEED to learn!! Your apartment is going to reek like gas with a carb'd bike.

Quote Originally Posted by normal_deviation View Post
    Guys.... try reading all the posts before responding.......... he ended up buying a gas can...... ..... wow, this thread is kinda funny. Its gotten so much more complicated than it should really be. To the OP .... do yourself a favour and buy a manual and do some reading over the winter.......... sorry, but if you can't fix or do a little maintenance on your own bike ...... well................. .... ... you NEED to learn!! Your apartment is going to reek like gas with a carb'd bike.
    Normal Dev: I wouldn't rag on everyone for the confusion. Obviously the OP is/was very panicky. The timeline on some of the responses are right on top of the original postings. Yes, the 2 you quoted are later, but I think they were well intentioned & they do mirror everyone's initial incredulity over buying/borrowing a gas can. In fact your comment about the apt reeking adds little as the OP was told over & over again the same thing before your post. The OP also started another panicked thread about snow on his bike. I suspect the OP has purchased a bike without knowing much about bikes & hasn't got much money, otherwise they could have just had someone do it all for them, including storeage. The thread is really kind of sad to me, not funny. What I dislike about the OP is the juvenile bragging about how they're going to impress all of us with the mods they plan on doing themselves over the winter when they can't even do simple maintenance. A humbler approach would have been appreciated. I do agree with you, however, the OP should have thought about all of this last month.
    Last edited by zoomerthe1; 12-10-2009 at 09:43 AM.
    Got Torque?

Quote Originally Posted by zoomerthe1 View Post
    Normal Dev: I wouldn't rag on everyone for the confusion. Obviously the OP is/was very panicky. The timeline on some of the responses are right on top of the original postings. Yes, the 2 you quoted are later, but I think they were well intentioned & they do mirror everyone's initial incredulity over buying/borrowing a gas can. In fact your comment about the apt reeking adds little as the OP was told over & over again the same thing before your post. The OP also started another panicked thread about snow on his bike. I suspect the OP has purchased a bike without knowing much about bikes & hasn't got much money, otherwise they could have just had someone do it all for them, including storeage. The thread is really kind of sad to me, not funny. What I dislike about the OP is the juvenile bragging about how they're going to impress all of us with the mods they plan on doing themselves over the winter when they can't even do simple maintenance. A humbler approach would have been appreciated. I do agree with you, however, the OP should have thought about all of this last month.
    +1,
    Also, the calling out of the 250 riders.
    "Wanna race?"

ok buddy, get it together.
    *gasp*