Air Compressor (Husky, Mastercraft, Dewalt) and Bolt Sets?

Thread: Air Compressor (Husky, Mastercraft, Dewalt) and Bolt Sets?

Air Compressor (Husky, Mastercraft, Dewalt) and Bolt Sets?

So,

The garage is complete, and now I need to fill it. So, does anyone have any comments about CT's Maximum 20 gal air compressor, vs. Husky's 30 gal compressor? They are roughly the same price, but I am more worried about build quality.

And, are there any good shops in, and or around Hamilton that carry metric bolt/nut/washer sets?
    Cheers...Ham'r
    ----------------
    Built, Not Bought™

Re: Air Compressor (Husky, Mastercraft, Dewalt) and Bolt Sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamr Mark View Post
    So,

And, are there any good shops in, and or around Hamilton that carry metric bolt/nut/washer sets?
    Brafasco on Hempstead drive.

the problem with both lines of tools is that different manufacturers provide the tools and are all rebranded under either Husky or Mastercraft.

IMO the actual compressor tank is secondary, its the pump thats the primary concern, zero maintenance? dual cylinder or single cylinder? whats the duty cycle? whats the CFM of the pumps....all comes into consideration. I have some Husky tools and i'm very satisfied with them....same thing with Mastercraft. But i do have a craftsman compressor i bought in US. maybe u should look into that as well....cuz i got a great deal on it and it wasnt even on sale.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

If posible dont buy a oil-less direct drive air compressor, they are very noisey and have a short life compared to a cast clyinder- belt driven compressor. I have a have one of the noisey one and hate it, I wish I spent the extra $$ and bought the belt diven one.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieRev View Post
    If posible dont buy a oil-less direct drive air compressor, they are very noisey and have a short life compared to a cast clyinder- belt driven compressor. I have a have one of the noisey one and hate it, I wish I spent the extra $$ and bought the belt diven one.
    + 1 on the noise...although I have had an oil less direct drive 20 gallon CH compressor that I have been beating on for about 10 years. Can't wait for it to die so I can justify the cost to replace it with a quieter one. This thing has been abused, but keeps on going!

So,

The garage is complete, and now I need to fill it. So, does anyone have any comments about CT's Maximum 20 gal air compressor, vs. Husky's 30 gal compressor? They are roughly the same price, but I am more worried about build quality.

The first question you should be asking yourself is what kind of tools do you want to run? That will dictate the scfm requirements and thus the type of compressor you need. I.e. nailers? drum style oil free is fine. dual action sanders? probably need an 60-80 gallon compressor with 10+ scfm.

If you want something that will last, I would definitely look into a belt driven, oil lubed cast iron motor. I have a 20 gallon compressor and it can keep up when using air ratchets or impact wrenches, but it does cycle on-off quite often (its fairly quiet as it is oil lubed/belt driven). If I could do it again I would opt for the 30 gallon compressor at a minimum.
    Last edited by mma01; 12-08-2009 at 11:43 AM.

I have a basic understanding of SCFM and all that jazz. Most tools, -driver, ratchet, sandblaster- run better at their specified SCFM. And for most of the work, -bike rebuilds winter, and cage repairs summer- are making me look at the CT's 20 gal Maximum. It is oil lubed...etc etc...http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...Compressor.jsp

Just hard to bite the $600 bullet.
    Cheers...Ham'r
    ----------------
    Built, Not Bought™

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Brafasco on Hempstead drive.
    I checked their online cat. Do they sell kits/sets, or are they all individuals?
    Cheers...Ham'r
    ----------------
    Built, Not Bought™

so dont....i picked up my compresson at Sears in Buffalo and its great...its a stand up barrel type, forgot the no. of gallons but it was less than $200.

push comes to shove, dont the road u can always just buy a cast iron pump and replace the oil-less pump thats on there now.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

I have the same compressor, rebranded as a "Coleman Powermate". Its quiet and I have had no issues with it for the type of stuff I use it for. Its fine for air ratchet / impact gun and other intermittent use that will be typical for mechanical work but probably not enough to do sandblasting.

Keep an eye out for sales. I got mine for under 400.

I have a basic understanding of SCFM and all that jazz. Most tools, -driver, ratchet, sandblaster- run better at their specified SCFM. And for most of the work, -bike rebuilds winter, and cage repairs summer- are making me look at the CT's 20 gal Maximum. It is oil lubed...etc etc...http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/1/CompressorsAirTools/Compressors/PRD~0587925P/Mastercraft%2BMaximum%2B20%2BGallon%2BCompressor.j sp

Just hard to bite the $600 bullet.
    Last edited by mma01; 12-08-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Go with a belt driven. I have the Husky Pro 60 gallon tank and I love it!

For most general use i would highly recommend this unit

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

It's a Dewalt 15Gal upright compressor. $449 at HD but Lowes had it on for $398 not long ago. 5.4scfm @ 90psi. I've used this model for a little over a year and it's been great. The thing about this model is that the compressor cut in pressure is 180 psi and the cut off is almost 210. It has a built in discharge regulator to set your working pressure. With the high tank pressure and regulator setup you can use most average draw air tools (3/8" ratchet, 3/8" or 1/2" impact gun) with very little drop in performance due to low air pressure.

Just for some general air compressor suggestions, I like the upright models over the horizontal type compressors because they take up less floor space. As a bonus you can wrap your air hose on the handle nicely. Speaking of air hoses buy yourself a good quality hose. Don't bother with the cheap plastizied rubber hose. Get a good rubber hose. If your planning on working in the cold get a low temp (yellow) hose and you'll be thankful you spent a couple extra bucks on it. I like using a swivel on the end of my air hoses. If you buy one, once again pay for some quality. The cheap princess auto ones had a tendency of blowing apart. A good one should be $20+ and have some weight to it. Lastly, your going to need couplers for your hoses. I would suggest the Milton "A" style coupler. You can attach and detach tools with 1 hand. No need to pull back the collar and insert at the same time. Just push the tool in till it clicks. Very handy if your under a vehicle and you want to change tools but 1 hand is holding a part.
    Last edited by Torren; 12-11-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typo..
    VN9008CF - Candy Lime Green.