standing on pegs while riding on DVP - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: standing on pegs while riding on DVP

Re: standing on pegs while riding on DVP

Quote Originally Posted by DucNoWing View Post
    Don't forget, the new "Stunting" / "Street Racing" law is very vague. If you read the section of the law, they can even charge you if you are standing too close to another vehicle (you don't technically have to be moving, so if you are too close to another vehicle at a red light, and if they feel like it, they can charge you with stuning)...

I wouldn't do anything intentional to irritate the police, they have way too much power, and way too little common sense
    That would be incorrect, as the statute states, "driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to drive, without justification, as close as possible to another vehicle, pedestrian or fixed object on or near the highway." The term "driving" implies movement.

Brake checking someone is stunting though.

You can find the actual text of the statute by going to http://www.search.e-laws.gov.on.ca/en/search/ and performing a search on 455/07.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    Sure I do. I do stand up on my pegs regularly, but nowhere near such speed. I just think that the reasons I do it and speeds used are easy to sell as legitimate reasons in case someone will stop me (the dumb ones will charge you regardless whether you have paper or not and your speed; they decided to ignore courts decisions on 50 over, so pdf in your pocket will not stop them). I personally wouldn't do it on hwy at 113 .... but carry on, whatever works for you. It wasn't a jab, just an honest question.
    I have stood on the pegs at speed, on many occasions, for precisely the reasons that previous posters have stated. To that I will add one thing; riding over a pothole or obstacle in the road that is seen too late, to avoid it. If you remain in the seat, you might get bucked off the seat in a way that would cause you to lose control. I once had a car drop it's exhaust, from the header connection all the way back to the tail pipe, right in front of me. It had spun to occupy the entire lane in the split second before I made contact and there was no way I could avoid it, but I had just enough time to get off the seat as I went over it. That was messy, but I'm still here.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 12-04-2009 at 07:37 AM.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    I have stood on the pegs at speed, on many occasions, for precisely the reasons that previous posters have stated. To that I will add one thing; riding over a pothole or obstacle in the road that is seen too late, to avoid it. If you remain in the seat, you might get bucked off the seat in a way that would cause you to lose control. I once had a car drop it's exhaust, from the header connection all the way back to the tail pipe, right in front of me. It had spun to occupy the entire lane in the split second before I made contact and there was no way I could avoid it, but I had just enough time to get off the seat as I went over it. That was messy, but I'm still here.

Many moons ago this was a recommendation on how to deal with objects on the road in such a scenerio, can no longer be found in the newest literature from the Motorcycle handbook from the Ministry.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Many moons ago this was a recommendation on how to deal with objects on the road in such a scenerio, can no longer be found in the newest literature from the Motorcycle handbook from the Ministry.
    Well the ideal way to deal with them is to avoid them, but that isn't always possible. When you have 0.5 sec to make and then act on a decision, evasion isn't an option.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by thumpit View Post
    If it's you, is that one too many?

Ever encountered an overzealous cop?
    Nope, only courteous professional ones.

No one answered my original question. How many arrested for this so far?

Re: standing on pegs while riding

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    Sure I do. I do stand up on my pegs regularly, but nowhere near such speed. I just think that the reasons I do it and speeds used are easy to sell as legitimate reasons in case someone will stop me (the dumb ones will charge you regardless whether you have paper or not and your speed; they decided to ignore courts decisions on 50 over, so pdf in your pocket will not stop them). I personally wouldn't do it on hwy at 113 .... but carry on, whatever works for you. It wasn't a jab, just an honest question.
    Thank you for your thoughtful response. On another thread, I asked that the viewpoints of others be respected, and I got a response indicating, "My opinions are 'common sense'; yours are ridiculous." I hope that fellow never becomes elected to high office, because he will sure know what's best for him, and THAT will be best for you and you and you too!

In fact, I did not need to stand up to see what debris I was approaching on Thursday afternoon, and I did not. I didn't need to stand up to spot the bicycle on 401 in 2007. But if standing is ever needed, I will pay no attention to any law telling me that standing up is always illegal.
    "Stay at least one standard deviation away from everybody else."

That letter is clear. If some of you want to keep on saying that standing up on the pegs is stunting because your *** isn't on the seat then you'd have to agree that taking your hands and feet off the bike completely is okay because your arse is still in the seat.

But yes, yes, cops are dicks and want to charge every last one of us with stunting until nobody can ride bikes anymore. WE GET IT.

Man, this crap gets tiring. Like someone else mentioned- have you ever heard of anyone getting a stunting charge solely for standing up on their pegs? No? Then maybe tone the hysterics down a bit. Geez.
    Last edited by froghammer; 12-04-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Posters brother Charged (Post #11). Eventually had charges dropped at the station. Still out the impound fees/any costs from 7 day suspension. It can happen.

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74166
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

Quote Originally Posted by froghammer View Post
    That letter is clear. If some of you want to keep on saying that standing up on the pegs is stunting because your *** isn't on the seat then you'd have to agree that taking your hands and feet off the bike completely is okay because your arse is still in the seat.

But yes, yes, cops are dicks and want to charge every last one of us with stunting until nobody can ride bikes anymore. WE GET IT.

Man, this crap gets tiring. Like someone else mentioned- have you ever heard of anyone getting a stunting charge solely for standing up on their pegs? No? Then maybe tone the hysterics down a bit. Geez.
    As if they were, WE would necessarily hear about here, or any other forum you frequent. Furthermore, a good course of action if any of us IS charged with it, is to not necessarily spread the details of it on a public forum whereby the very cop that charged him/her can easily read.

I nominate YOU to pay this (http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74166) innocent victims charges after his roadside raping.

and as for "Man, this crap gets tiring." - don't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by jc100 View Post
    Nope, only courteous professional ones.

No one answered my original question. How many arrested for this so far?
    see this: http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74166

"Nope, only courteous professional ones."

So consider yourself lucky AND fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Salos Dafee View Post

In fact, I did not need to stand up to see what debris I was approaching on Thursday afternoon, and I did not. I didn't need to stand up to spot the bicycle on 401 in 2007. But if standing is ever needed, I will pay no attention to any law telling me that standing up is always illegal.
    Nobody should disagree with that. I know I'd do the same.

While I'm not aware of any GTAM members getting nailed for stunting for standing up on the pegs, I am aware of a GTAM member getting nailed for making 4 lane changes while doing the speed limit (which would technically be an incorrect charge, but he's still out of a g-note). Now those cops are few and far between, but they do exist and this piece of legislation allows them to screw innocent people with impunity.
    Last edited by FiReSTaRT; 12-04-2009 at 11:00 PM.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by froghammer View Post

A member here was charged with racing, for lane splitting at below the speed limit. The intent when a law is passed and how it is enforced are frequently two very different things.

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    While I'm not aware of any GTAM members getting nailed for stunting for standing up on the pegs, I am aware of a GTAM member getting nailed for making 4 lane changes while doing the speed limit (which would technically be an incorrect charge, but he's still out of a g-note). Now those cops are few and far between, but they do exist and this piece of legislation allows them to screw innocent people with impunity.
    wait, (being completely serious), how are you supposed to do that properly? i usually go straight, lane change, straight, lane change, straight, lane change.
    I usually have to start out way ahead of time or else I'd miss my exit doing this...
    isn't this the only way you can expect to not get nailed??
    (am i the only one in this regard that follows the rules??)

Read a couple of pages. That's all the drivel I could take this early in the morning. Their moderator "willys" is a real piece of work. People like that deserve to get railroaded by an over zealous cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    So it's ok for hooligan riders and drivers to endanger the lives of impaired drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Unfortunately, since we seldom put people in jail for traffic offences

I nominate YOU to pay this (http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74166) innocent victims charges after his roadside raping.
    Thank you for providing such a great example of hysterics.

Quote Originally Posted by FullMotoJacket View Post
    Read a couple of pages. That's all the drivel I could take this early in the morning. Their moderator "willys" is a real piece of work. People like that deserve to get railroaded by an over zealous cop.
    Oh man..

Here's what he wrote in response to a comment about "cop being judge and jury on the side of the road":

He'll still get his day in court....won't he?? He just has to fight for a fair trial that's all. I'm not agreeing with the charge....but do agree with the law...don't take it so personal.
    IMHO...all charges should be handed out this way...maybe there wouldn't so many nutcases on the roads or in society in general! Lock'em up and then let the courts sort it out...sorry but the system we have stinks. It has Zero punishment for people who break the laws IMHO...they get a slap on the wrist and walk free....yes a few innocents get dinged too but the majority are asking for what they get with this new law.
    He's a good read if you want to get your blood going in the morning.

Edit:
    I just read what one mr. "blakers" had to say...

I have to continue to allign myself with the cops on this one.

My reason........ I would rather the police make a mistake and take away the license of an innocent person, than let some lunatic keep his and put us all at risk.
    Last edited by El Zilcho; 12-05-2009 at 10:44 AM.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Those were two of the most infuriating comments on the subject there. All I could do was slam my head against my desk in frustration.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

Quote Originally Posted by nywing View Post
    wait, (being completely serious), how are you supposed to do that properly? i usually go straight, lane change, straight, lane change, straight, lane change.
    I usually have to start out way ahead of time or else I'd miss my exit doing this...
    isn't this the only way you can expect to not get nailed??
    (am i the only one in this regard that follows the rules??)
    That's the problem.. Whatever you do, an a-hole who somehow got his hands on a badge can still abuse his powers to financially rape you. 4 lane changes = 2 passes on the highway, which is fairly common in Toronto traffic. The member did nothing illegal or dangerous, but the cop was itching to nail a rider.
    While you have many shining examples of proper law enforcement, like an OPP constable in the London area who actually assumes most riders will be more aware of the regulations and are more likely to have their equipment/paperwork in order, just a few a-holes like the one I previously mentioned or that corrupt p.o.s. who was receiving kickbacks from tow opertors are enough to cause some major injustice for honest law-abiding citizens.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

I'm not sure it's just kick backs but performance reports that also help motivate a cop to nail you for stunting.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
    Those were two of the most infuriating comments on the subject there. All I could do was slam my head against my desk in frustration.
    Haha.. Just when I thought I have seen the worst, here's another gem (from willys):

Maybe so....but why did she overtake the truck in the firstplace? Because she wanted past period..I bet...she still drove at 110 in an 80 zone....so she obviously had zero respect for the laws of the road. You are just upset at the name of the charge.....all they need to do is change the name to something else and she would still fit into that category and wouldn't have got off. IMHO...she went 50 over the limit....she had a smart enough lawyer to make her case that's all. IMHO...she deserves the charge...just not the name ...stunt driver....lol She delivered the actions that broke that perticular law...plain and simple.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.