What should I be aware of for my first track day.. - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What should I be aware of for my first track day..

Re: What should I be aware of for my first track day..

Most use trailers, if you crash you can still get home as long as you haven't met the local hospital staff. Even then sometimes you can, just bring a trailer big enough to fit the mangled wreck in and haul back.

You can bring a can of chain lube and I wouldn't be too concerned about the freshness of your oil.

Trailer rentals - u haul, or perhaps a pickup truck?

excellent thread. thanks for posting everyone.
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.

I agree on full leathers, and I appologies - I didnt read every thread so if someone said this before ... sorry
    Baby your bike and your ride - if your planning on getting aggressive at all - rent their bike w/ins -- and just ride at your pace -

Keiths Twist of the Wrist DVDs are very good and recommended above. You can purchase them on amazon.

But if I were a PIRATE on the BAY I would definitely recommend searching for Twist of the Wrist 2. I'm currently seeding and will seed for the next 2 weeks. You can also get the pdf version of the books from amazon.

I'm not promoting piracy or illegal downloading.

2007 SV650s

haha, nice one I'm gonna fire it up when I get home tonight.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Banned

My advice is never give up on a corner. Don't panic if you THINK you're going too fast. Chances are there is more cornering left in the bike.

Banned

Then why do they keep letting you on the track???

Quote Originally Posted by smallfish View Post
    My advice is never give up on a corner. Don't panic if you THINK you're going too fast. Chances are there is more cornering left in the bike.
    +1

When you find yourself going into a corner faster than your comfy with, stay committed to making the corner, look far ahead into the turn and don't look at the run off area. I saw so many guys run off at TMP last year in corners they should have been able to make. One was a friend and he said he froze up, looked at the run off and that's where he ended up.

Also getting a tow from someone faster than you will give you a better perspective of how much faster you can actually go. It'll also give you a better perspective of how slow you really are. lol

I have absolutely no idea how anyone runs off Turn 1 at TMP.

It's a slow-in fast-out corner, i honestly think i could come pretty close to stopping on the track from my normal brake marker

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    I have absolutely no idea how anyone runs off Turn 1 at TMP.
    Oh, I know one way...May 21 this year a guy's oil plug blew out in the T1 braking zone, oiled his rear tire and the bike went cartwheeling up the berm. Next guy on the scene went down as well, naturally. (I wired my oil plug the day after witnessing that!)

But yeah, other than that...the exit cone in that turn is pretty academic!
    It's never too late for a happy childhood...

Thanks y'all...I am now white-knuckled, scared-to-death of doing the track next year. There's extremely useful stuff in here I never knew I had to do, like prepare my bike. Eventhough the bike is twenty years old this year and has scratches and scuff marks, it is a solid bike (FZR-1000) and I don't have the heart to see it suffer and get bashed up badly. Yes, I can always opt to rent a bike (and insurance) but now I got to ask myself if I really, really, REALLY want to do this. (I've always wanted to but I don't want to get hurt--damn!) I think I'll have to wait 'til I get courage. Thanks again for all the info!