Iphone GPS Lap Timer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iphone GPS Lap Timer

Iphone GPS Lap Timer

Anyone try Harry's GPS Laptimer App?

http://web.me.com/hschlangmann/LapTi...page/Home.html

Looks like fun for 12 bucks!!
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

Re: Iphone GPS Lap Timer

I don't think the i-phones have a top-notch dGPS chipset. As such, this package's lap times could be off by several seconds.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    I don't think the i-phones have a top-notch dGPS chipset. As such, this package's lap times could be off by several seconds.
    you think or you know?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgY View Post
    you think or you know?
    he front end of LapTimer on iPhone is completely new development featuring a perfect, and beautiful iPhone look & feel. LapTimer uses both the internal GPS or external accessories providing GPS by NMEA.
    Basically they admit that the internal chipset is crap and that you need to use a bt-based GPS receiver to get "decent" positional accuracy (which is within 5 meters). With an auxilliary GPS receiver, you could still be off by as much as a second.
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Basically they admit that the internal chipset is crap and that you need to use a bt-based GPS receiver to get "decent" positional accuracy (which is within 5 meters). With an auxilliary GPS receiver, you could still be off by as much as a second.

But would it be off by a second constantly?
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    But would it be off by a second constantly?
    You couldn't expect any level of consistency from it.. At times it would read 1s faster, at other times 1s slower, you could never really depend on it, and that's only with an auxilliary GPS receiver such as http://cgi.ebay.com/RoyalTek-SiRF-II...item5188e113df

Actually, it could be off by more than a second as the positional/time errors are compounded with each reading, after a change of position.
    Bottom line, it's a good package for a rookie track rider to follow his initial progress, but once you get into the time range where every second (or split-second) counts, you'll find it extremely inadequate.

Cola has something like that on his PDA... it works REALLY WELL!!! He can do splits and all sort of stuff. He had it out a Mid-Ohio last year.

Mississauga ('08 ZX-14 Street, '02 GSXR750 Track))

Yes, it's called Racechrono, I introduced it to him. I showed you guys when we met up to plan for the trip!

It's for the Symbian and Windows Mobile devices out there.
    DVS in name....DVS in nature.....

Link to track day pics

Link to track day vids

On Yahoo Video

On Vimeo

ok... but it's cheaper to just get a starlane gps with all sorts of other features then throwing away an iphone in case you crash... I can just picture an iphone duck taped to the bike
    BUY MY BIKE!
    2007 Honda CRF 150R Big Wheel Supermoto with dirt wheels, $3600

Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. - William Shakespare

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    ok... but it's cheaper to just get a starlane gps with all sorts of other features then throwing away an iphone in case you crash... I can just picture an iphone duck taped to the bike
    Hahaha. Don't forget that nice smooth screen is all glass, gotta tape over it!

There are lots of mounting options available...

http://www.google.com/products?q=iph...ed=0CCAQrQQwAA

...granted most of those are for bicycles, but it wouldn't be hard to get it mounted relatively safely within the bird-cage. Throw on a few zip ties as backup, and I have the clear vinyl screen cover on the glass to pass tech.

I've been thinking about this lap timer for my iPhone also. The way I see it, for the small cost of Harry's lap timer it would give me a rough idea of where I'm at (with no lap timer right now I have no idea). If it's +/- 1s I figure I can live with that and it would be useful enough to know if I'm making gains, until I see my lap times come down to something "good" where less than 1 second in a split would matter. At that point a real lap timer would make sense.

-Dave
    Last edited by doozerdave; 12-18-2009 at 09:30 AM.
    -Dave
    2003 SV650S track bike, 2001 CBR929RR street bike

My little brother has an iphone, I wonder if I can borrow it
    *~Maggie~*

This makes perfect sense to me.

Use a $600 piece of hardware to emulate a $150 piece of hardware.

No wonder people are constantly complaining they have no money and that trackdays are too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post

No wonder people are constantly complaining they have no money and that trackdays are too expensive.
    I only paid $100 for my iPhone, but to replace it would likely cost more.

Can you point me in the direction of a $150 lap timer? I haven't see one that cheap...

Thanks

-Dave
    -Dave

you're not looking hard enough!

you're not looking hard enough!
    Apparently. haha... Thanks for the tip.

-Dave
    -Dave

Why would I spend $150 for a piece of hardware when the $600 piece of hardware that I already have will do the same?

There are a million ways to mount it safely if you're a little bit creative and use ingenuity....or..you could tape it to your dash! LMAO

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Why would I spend $150 for a piece of hardware when the $600 piece of hardware that I already have will do the same?

There are a million ways to mount it safely if you're a little bit creative and use ingenuity....or..you could tape it to your dash! LMAO
    my reasoning, and i use a few different lap timer/gps applications, would be when the bike falls over or gets caught in the rain you dont need to replace $600 part and your not without a phone (the good part) while you wait replacement.
    Not advocating spending unneccesary funds but sometimes spending more=spending less long term.

Plus, with a lap timer, you're guaranteed to have accurate times. Worth the $150-$250 investment in my books.

I bought GPS tracking app for iphone (not lap timer but one that is supposedly tracking your trip and saving all stats). Well, it's useless.
    It keeps losing sat signal, I would go for 10km without any tracking, then it would snap into it, saying my top speed was 150 km/h... (only traveling surface streets, not over 70 clicks) sometimes it doesn't get any signal at all.

My GoogleMaps on iphone get proper signal but this app somehow doesn't, so I know it's not the hardware, it's the app that is messing up.
    crApp!