Tires.

Thread: Tires.

Tires.

I'm facing my first season with a dedicated track bike and want a new set of tires. I currently have Dunlop Qualifiers on for street use. Not my first choice but all the dealer had when I had to buy an emergency set on a road trip.

I have a front Diablo Corsa 3 left over from the last set.

My questions are;

If I'm running track only then am I better off with slicks?

And if so,do I then need to carry a set of rains as well for those less than ideal days you typical Canadian summer brings?

Or should I just buy a rear Corsa 3 rear and ride?
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Re: Tires.

slicks will last longer, you can probably find someone to buy used slicks from cheap as they don't have much resale value because they can't be used on the street

in damp pavement conditions, slicks offer the exact same grip as DOT race tires.

you only go to rain tires when the track has a significant amount of standing water(puddles)

Da Bridge 06 636, 05 R6, 03 R6, FZR600, CR500R and .....

Don't buy any of my friends "used" slicks.....
    I don't think the tire recycling company would want em....

I ran Qualifiers on my 636 (back up bike) after I trashed my trackbike in the summer.
    I was impressed at the traction but they really cook up in the hot (JULY)....
    I would say the way I drive,3 trackdays and the 3rd would be interesting....

Run BT 002's (if you can find a set ) or bt 003's and you'll be fine.
    Besides, u can recycle them down to ur street bike after ur done on the track.
    Last edited by FearNoSpeed; 11-26-2009 at 11:15 AM.

Thinkin about it takes all the fun out of it !

Quote Originally Posted by FearNoSpeed View Post
    Don't buy any of my friends "used" slicks.....
    I don't think the tire recycling company would want em....

I ran Qualifiers on my 636 (back up bike) after I trashed my trackbike in the summer.
    I was impressed at the traction but they really cook up in the hot (JULY)....
    I would say the way I drive,3 trackdays and the 3rd would be interesting....

Run BT 002's (if you can find a set ) or bt 003's and you'll be fine.
    Besides, u can recycle them down to ur street bike after ur done on the track.
    Have you tried slicks on the track yet?

I want to try some DOT track tires, just to see the difference between them and slicks...Cause I went right from street tires (Michelin PP) to the slicks and it was a night and day difference and huge confidence builder...Not friendly to the wallet thou

Diablo Corsa 3's will likely last longer than slicks (these are not race tires though). They have excellent grip but not the same as DOT's or slicks, but definitely good enough if you're just starting out to intermediate level.

Just be careful with the front tire. The Diablo Corsa 3's are meant to run at higher pressures than other tires and take a little longer to warm up as a result. I've gone down twice on a cold front Corsa 3 on the first lap out even though I was taking it easy. You get a lot of cold tearing on the rear tire as well for the same reason. Once warmed up however, they're good.

Da Bridge 06 636, 05 R6, 03 R6, FZR600, CR500R and .....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Have you tried slicks on the track yet?

No = budget wasn't there.

Next season at least 1 set to try em out for sure....

After the way the Pilot's violently and without warning broke free (several times) on me I will never run pilot powers (reg kind) again on the track.
    99% tracion to nothing with no warning (pushin or slidin feeling) prior to it givin way.... rear alot & front twice.

I would run em on the street however cause I never pushed em past that magic point on the street.

Bridgestones / Dunlops slighty push/ slide before things get nasty.

For me anyways....

Now:....

Anyone wanna ask me what the best bike is for them...LOL

Thinkin about it takes all the fun out of it !

I would not go slicks unless I was running Hotshoot pace

Bt003 is an excellent tire

I ran the BT-016 street tire at TMP down to 1:18 last year, the record I believe is 1:12

Just like another post on here, it's not the tires or the bike that is the limiting factor

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    I'm facing my first season with a dedicated track bike and want a new set of tires. I currently have Dunlop Qualifiers on for street use. Not my first choice but all the dealer had when I had to buy an emergency set on a road trip.

I have a front Diablo Corsa 3 left over from the last set.

My questions are;

If I'm running track only then am I better off with slicks?

And if so,do I then need to carry a set of rains as well for those less than ideal days you typical Canadian summer brings?

Or should I just buy a rear Corsa 3 rear and ride?