Sandblasting in Etobicoke?

Thread: Sandblasting in Etobicoke?

Sandblasting in Etobicoke?

Hey guys, anywhere close to the Royal York/QW area that does sandblasting? I have an aluminum subframe that came powdercoated and I want it back down to the aluminum. Paint stripper doesn't touch it, and my dremel just died (was using it, slow, painful LOL).

Merci
    Shawn

Re: Sandblasting in Etobicoke?

There is a Stainless place in Etobicoke on the West mall called Highland Equipment. As long as your subframe is 100% alum. with no mild steel on it, they "should" be able to do it for you. Call them and ask for Stewart. (no, it's not me)

They Sandblast some of our larger Stainless frames.

You could also have it chemically stripped by a place in Brampton called Techno-Strip(not a Euro-themed strip club) or by a place in Milton called Fishburn Proctor. Tri-Krete in Bolton does it as well and some of the guys there are sport bike guys so they love to see bike parts.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenD View Post
    There is a Stainless place in Etobicoke on the West mall called Highland Equipment. As long as your subframe is 100% alum. with no mild steel on it, they "should" be able to do it for you. Call them and ask for Stewart. (no, it's not me)

They Sandblast some of our larger Stainless frames.
    Cool thanks man. Now I just gotta find the West Mall. Is it close to Sherway Gardens/Sherman Williams/Sherwood Forrest Gump or whatever that mall is called?

I would suspect it's pure aluminum. It's from italy and was expensive and very easy for me to clean up the welds (not hard like steel at all)...but that means nothing (I really don't know metals very well outside the basic properties...Ti, mag, alum, steel). So hopefully they can tell me when I go there.

be sure to tell them to blast it with walnut, glass, or soda. you cant blast aluminium with sand.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

OK I will. Why can't you use sand, just curious?

Quote Originally Posted by DY View Post
    be sure to tell them to blast it with walnut, glass, or soda. you cant blast aluminium with sand.

This is the piece I'm talking about, just to give a visual...I give up...and so did my dremel LOL:

Last edited by dafy; 11-24-2009 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dafy View Post
    aluminium is too soft. the sand will literally eat through the part very quickly if not careful. same with steel, but it takes much longer since its that much harder.

i made this mistake before with Fishburn Proctor. never again.

walnut shell,etc,etc is soft so it will only take the paint off. You can also try chemical stripping.
    Last edited by DY; 11-24-2009 at 08:35 PM.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

If you can get it up to Concord, I can blast it for you. It looks very small.

We use glass bead and I am glassbeading all my alum. stuff for my FZR. If you can get it to me, I'll do it for free.

PM me if you want a phone number and directions.

Quote Originally Posted by dafy View Post
    Sand will "pit" aluminum