Looking to get into SuperMoto riding... - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get into SuperMoto riding...

Re: Looking to get into SuperMoto riding...

anyone running 2 strokes at sm tracks considering the tracks are smaller and you wouldnt run out of speed?

Da Bridge 06 636, 05 R6, 03 R6, FZR600, CR500R and .....

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    For those looking, just as an FYI.

you don't really find "CRASHED" SM bikes as you would with roadrace/trackbikes.

these bikes crash so well repair after MAJOR crashes is the replacement of a set of handlebars and maybe a $25 fender or $40 side panel so if you're hoping for crashed basket case to come along, you probably won't find it.

I've yet to see one in this way.

Lend me urs for the day

Thinkin about it takes all the fun out of it !

Quote Originally Posted by FearNoSpeed View Post
    Lend me urs for the day

Trust me, you couldn't hurt it.

You're welcome to rent one of them, if I can't break it, you're not going to!

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    anyone running 2 strokes at sm tracks considering the tracks are smaller and you wouldnt run out of speed?
    2 strokes make terrible SM bikes, you can do it, but you won't have much fun.

i'm just getting into this.
    i can tell you that going around regular tracks won't be fun.
    The small tight stuff is fun.
    Piecing a bike together yourself will be expensive.
    I saw MAD MASON had his RMZ up for sale for an amazing price (don't know if it's still available). i'd put rims on that if you wanted to get something well set up.

Last piece of advice, Recipe has done a lot for this sport. I'd listen to him if i were you. Mason also has a ton of experience. both good sources.

yea thats what i thought, no sense in spending the money for my cr250...couple more years i might pick something up.

For thos that are new or just thinking about trying out SM.
    My first race, I put road tires on a browed bone stock XR400.... and had an absolute riot... and almost won a trophy!!
    From there I ponyed up for a set of wheels and an oversized brake for my CR250 2-stroke. I rode that bike for a half season and did a couple of races (and won a couple of trophies ) Although there was no 'backing it in' with the 2 banger, I had an awesome time with it. Infact, it was after those races that I really became hooked.
    It was only then, after an entire season of riding what some would call 'garbage', I sold my first born to go SM racing with proper equipment. (and thats when you start backing it in!)

My point is, if you think SM is something you want to try, or get into, dont worry about spending a million dollars on all the hot rod stuff. Go but a 19" dirt track tire for the back, a 21" maxxis for the front, and go DO IT!!!

Ive ridden and raced just about every type of motorcycle in just about every type of disipline, and without doubt, SuperMoto is THE most FUN of the bunch. (MX is still more badassed, but thats for the kids anyway!)
    She's got pipes louder than the Devil can screem

oh, and ya, the RMZ is still for sale
    She's got pipes louder than the Devil can screem

Is it the peaky on/off power?

i am no expert but my guess is the lack of engine braking to throw the back end around...?

Quote Originally Posted by MAD MASON View Post
    (MX is still more badassed, but thats for the kids anyway!)
    Hey now, I'm starting to exit the "kid" age, and there are still guys twice my age out there bangin bars... And kickin my ***!

SM is on my agenda, but I have way too many other hobbies and the MX racing takes up all the weekends!

Donnie any experience racing the SXV 5.5?
    SOAR Novice #113

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Donnie any experience racing the SXV 5.5?

They make a great roadracer and are fun on larger tracks but for the Tracks available here, they're too heavy for the dirt and never have the space to stretch their legs on the asphalt

Most of the Canadian and US tracks we're running gearing shorter than stock MX gearing(I'm up 2 teeth on the back from stock on my honda 250 and 450)

part of that is I don't like using 1st gear in the dirt, shifting across neutral is just asking for trouble but that is more of a preference than anything.

They make a great roadracer and are fun on larger tracks but for the Tracks available here, they're too heavy for the dirt and never have the space to stretch their legs on the asphalt

Most of the Canadian and US tracks we're running gearing shorter than stock MX gearing(I'm up 2 teeth on the back from stock on my honda 250 and 450)

part of that is I don't like using 1st gear in the dirt, shifting across neutral is just asking for trouble but that is more of a preference than anything.
    How horrible would it be at TMP?
    SOAR Novice #113

TMP is a roadrace track.

It would be like any other SM bike on a roadrace track.

If you're a decent rider, you should crush everyone, but with only 60hp and a 5 speed gearbox you'll get crushed on the straights.

My honda makes more power than an SXV5.5 and I still get crushed by SV's in a straight line at TMP because they have much longer legs.

TMP is a roadrace track.

If you're a decent rider, you should crush everyone, but with only 60hp and a 5 speed gearbox you'll get crushed on the straights.

My honda makes more power than an SXV5.5 and I still get crushed by SV's in a straight line at TMP because they have much longer legs.
    I've got one sitting in the garage, needs a little work to get it ready for racing but should make for a fun second bike racing at SOAR next year, i'm hoping it teaches me to be more comfortable with the backend stepping out, hopefully that translates to more control on the SS and I get get on the gas sooner. Also wanna learn how to use the rear brake something I currently never do on the SS.

On that note what kind of boots do the road race sm guys wear? I've got a pair of axial race carbon boots but I don't want to be eating up the boots sole.

Maybe I should just sell this thing...
    SOAR Novice #113

Get a good set of MX boots.

you'll destroy a set of roadrace boots in a weekend.

If you want to learn those things, try supermoto racing, you won't learn them on a roadrace track.

TMP is a roadrace track.

WHAT???? seriously??? what is your honda putting out????

that's a secret, but I generally wave as I go by SXV's

and I'm exactly light!

is that some nitrous i smell up under that deat recip...lol...just a bad biker boys quote.