cop validate insurance? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cop validate insurance?

Re: cop validate insurance?

there's only one reason anyone would ever ask this question....

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    there's only one reason anyone would ever ask this question....

Hahaha. That's what I was thinking when I read the first post but wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I will never ever ever mess with insurance. Broken bones heal in time, insurance companies screw with you forever!

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Further to that, it cannot be a copy, it has to be an actual "pink slip". You can have a copy of the ownership (that they can check on their computer system).
    Your ownership better be signed in INK or its another charge also.

Tisk, Tisk DY you see I got dips on the forks because essentially its the same guy, same bike so therefore it would be a "Dibs carry over"!
    P.S. I want the swinger with rear shock/ dog bones too
    P.s.s Ride safe! nobody seriously wants anyone to crash and if they did they should get a kick in the ****.
    Last edited by cutekill; 11-24-2009 at 03:03 PM.

LMAO...this kids life on the internet forums is overr haha...he cant do ANYTHING without someone baggin on him for the R1...its funny....continue.

from what i heard theres a number they can call now 24hr a day to check if you have valid insurance so even with a fake slip you could get nailed

Further to that, it cannot be a copy, it has to be an actual "pink slip". You can have a copy of the ownership (that they can check on their computer system).
    No, you just need 'proof of valid insurance'.

For my first car, I purchased insurance from belair direct, and printed off the details on the computer when I went to pick it up because the pink slips hadn't come in the mail yet. Thats what they instructed me to do, so it can't be illegal to have just a copy. Or it wasn't at that time, at least.

I picked it up on a Friday afternoon. Saturday morning, about 18 hours later, got the first speeding ticket of my life. And I totally deserved it too, I was used to my mum's tired 80hp auto econobox and all of a sudden I had 190hp and a manual tranny.

I got the impression that the cop didn't really know what to do with the info I printed off of the computer, and took pity on me that I hadn't even owned the car for a whole day yet. So, he just let me go with 10-over, lol.

No they cannot see if you have valid insurance, they HAVE to call your insurance and ask them if it is valid.
    Most of them dont call if you look legit, that is you are around 30+ years of age, no tickets, mature, it seems more legit in cops eyes. If you are 20 year old with tickets and you show him insurance on your name, he will laugh at you because he is not stupid, its his job and they're good at it.
    I personally drove with fake slips past 2 years because i was riding my bike once every month so i felt it was a money grab to pay for a whole year ( Yeah yeah go on and flame how dumb and stupid I was, and i admit, i was, but i knew what it was coming to me if i was caught)
    Now that i have a new job and more time for riding, i feel im pushing my luck since im going to be riding a lot more, which my risk of getting into an accident is a lot bigger then before. Im considering going legit, just like some people said it aint worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by baljci View Post
    No they cannot see if you have valid insurance, they HAVE to call your insurance and ask them if it is valid.
    Most of them dont call if you look legit, that is you are around 30+ years of age, no tickets, mature, it seems more legit in cops eyes. If you are 20 year old with tickets and you show him insurance on your name, he will laugh at you because he is not stupid, its his job and they're good at it.
    I personally drove with fake slips past 2 years because i was riding my bike once every month so i felt it was a money grab to pay for a whole year ( Yeah yeah go on and flame how dumb and stupid I was, and i admit, i was, but i knew what it was coming to me if i was caught)
    Now that i have a new job and more time for riding, i feel im pushing my luck since im going to be riding a lot more, which my risk of getting into an accident is a lot bigger then before. Im considering going legit, just like some people said it aint worth it.
    Nice thread revival from the dead.

Bottom line, no matter how old, or how young you are, you can't bribe or con Murphy's Law. You have no control over the actions of others - you can get spanked by a car within 5 km's of home (most common accident scenario btw, for automobile accidents) and be totally not at fault, yet, if you have no insurance, YOU have now automatically assumed fault for being an uninsured motorist. Same scenario if you are hit, while driving even a teensy bit over the BAC limit.

Considering the insurance co's actually provide cell-phones to the cops with a database hotline to call, it doesn't seem like a real good idea to me to chance on the cop being too lazy to do a secondary check on your 'word', no matter how old, young, innocent or guilty looking you are.

Considering the odds are better than a lottery for being caught, either in a routine stop or a traffic accident, I wouldn't gamble the rest of my life's financial well-being to this sort of potential nightmare. Either insure and ride, or if you don't ride enough, don't insure and save on gas and maintenance, sell the bike, and get a new hobby.

It seems like a reasonable risk to run, until you actually get jammed for years to come.

Speaking from experience of random bad luck, when i was young, dumb, and full of *** .. got caught, and was EXTREMELY lucky that a. the penalties were significantly less then, and b. the cop chose to teach a lesson through a different ticket with a significantly less severe penalty, even then.
    Last edited by Bandit Bill; 04-14-2010 at 05:25 PM.
    '99 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - '88 Hannigan Comet chair

Quote Originally Posted by carlz r1 View Post
    wow, u must have a gps on this kid, u know, the time spent tracking and logging this guy down, you could be doing something more productive with your life, perhaps riding your motorcycle. It seems as if the kids got the best of you, do the mature thing and let it go, he has clearly won, you have been cleverly led into a trolls trap.
    Haha this kid seems to be pretty interested and defensive for that Alfie guy or w/e his name was.. hmm
    Work to Ride & Ride to Work
    2007 GS500F

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Bill View Post
    Nice thread revival from the dead.

Bottom line, no matter how old, or how young you are, you can't bribe or con Murphy's Law. You have no control over the actions of others - you can get spanked by a car within 5 km's of home (most common accident scenario btw, for automobile accidents) and be totally not at fault, yet, if you have no insurance, YOU have now automatically assumed fault for being an uninsured motorist. Same scenario if you are hit, while driving even a teensy bit over the BAC limit.
    Sage advice. The cops are the least of your concerns if you choose to ride without insurance. People seem to think the only risk of riding without insurance is getting caught . . . but the REAL risk is getting into a collision (at fault or not), having absolutely no coverage for your rehabilitation, AND possibly being sued for a million or two.

If you can't afford insurance, DON'T ride on the streets. If you hardly ride enough to justify the premiums, consider the track.
    Last edited by VifferFun; 04-14-2010 at 06:55 PM.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Get off the road until you have proper insurance you ***
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreddies View Post
    Haha this kid seems to be pretty interested and defensive for that Alfie guy or w/e his name was.. hmm

Humm is right ..Seems somebody is back with a different handle ..

It can be a copy. It does not have to be "pink" All you need to do is provide evidence of valid insurance. This is most readily done with a valid pink slip, but there are other legal methods.

Avi
    Twitter @Avi_Singh_
    www.avisingh.com

As an aside, the police do check. I have received several calls this year from the OPP and other forces verifying that the insurance cards that people possess are valid and authentic. They can call either the broker or the insurance company.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    It can be a copy. It does not have to be "pink" All you need to do is provide evidence of valid insurance. This is most readily done with a valid pink slip, but there are other legal methods.

Avi

I have confirmed with police officers that they are looking for an original insurance slip (unless it is a temp liability card) because there is no reason to have a photocopy. Only the ownership can be a photo copy. If you provide a photo copy / temp liability card, almost 100% of the time they will give you a hard time about it and take extra time to verify it’s authentic/valid.

My thoughts, You should be banned for being that stupid.

usually when police asks for three things..
    driver licence, registration and insurance papers.

he will return two papers back to you and take your driver licence with you to his car if he is going to write you a ticket.

if he takes all the papers with him than you might be getting a break but it all depends on him.. can't really tell..

usually they look at the expiry date on insurance papers, that is all they need to know..
    To Achive The Possible, We Must Attempt The Impossible.
    -----------
    02 Suzuki GSX-R600 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by hindustani420 View Post
    usually they look at the expiry date on insurance papers, that is all they need to know..

The police not only look at the expiry date but they need to verify that the slip being presented is valid. Of course this is a judgement call made by the officer. Some may do this and some might not.

There are many situations where the slip is not valid such as:
    - The policy holder cancels the policy after getting the slip.
    - The insurance company cancels the policy but the policy holder is still using the slip.
    - The insurance slip purchased was fraudulent.

The police know that people are operating without insurance and they do not take this matter lightly. They have been taking more action in confirming valid insurance for vehicles on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by i3kc View Post
    I have confirmed with police officers that they are looking for an original insurance slip (unless it is a temp liability card) because there is no reason to have a photocopy.
    Proof of insurance is what you need to provide. As I stated earlier, the original pink slip is the most readily accepted form of insurance, however copies are still legal. At the end of the day, the officer can levy a charge if they feel it is necessary - The courts and JP will accept a copy as proof of insurance coverage.

Proof of insurance is what you need to provide. As I stated earlier, the original pink slip is the most readily accepted form of insurance, however copies are still legal. At the end of the day, the officer can levy a charge if they feel it is necessary - The courts and JP will accept a copy as proof of insurance coverage.

A liability card, photocopy or original, by itself is not proof of insurance. The courts and JP will not accept it. If charged with operate without insurance, they will accept proof in the form of a letter from the insurance company confirming that the liability card was valid for the date in question. If a police officer pulls you over, showing the officer a liability card does not prove you have insurance. Proof is obtained when the officer contacts the insurance company and confirms the liability card is still valid.

Most of the time, the officers take the validity of the slip at face value because they do not have time to investigate every person they pull over. However, should you present a photo copy of a liability slip if pulled over by an officer; I assure you that most of the time they will investigate.