[DY's] SV650 Winter Project - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [DY's] SV650 Winter Project

Re: [DY's] SV650 Winter Project

it looks like you have enough line there....why dont' you flip the shock around?

i mean take the top mount off and rotate it around? would that work? or would it hit the front?

Print out two huge "WORK IN PROGRESS" stickers and slap them on. Just assemble it already! Screw the paint for now!

April 27th, 2010:

- Ordered a R6 Throttle tube from Burlington Cycle, should be here by friday.

- Ordered 4 radial caliper bolts from Suzuki Brampton, should be here by friday

- Ordered some brake banjo bolts from Pannon. Also ordered AFAM steel sprockets from there in 15/46 ratio. stock is 15/44. so this should be a bit better.

- Got my tires today. Got them installed at Pannon. Thanks again Rob!

- Finally got it wheeled out of the house into the garage.

No pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by vrus View Post
    Print out two huge "WORK IN PROGRESS" stickers and slap them on. Just assemble it already! Screw the paint for now!
    haha, I've decided not to paint it this season. just gonna ride it as is and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    it looks like you have enough line there....why dont' you flip the shock around?

i mean take the top mount off and rotate it around? would that work? or would it hit the front?
    Not long enough to do that. I think it will be okay. Figured out a way to strap it somewhere. but well see. I talked to a shop about it and the only way to adjust it is to rebuild it.
    Last edited by DY; 04-27-2010 at 11:10 PM.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

Hey on your front end swap did you ordered the tapered roller bearing from Zoran at TWFracing? Or did you press the stem into the new triples?

I just found out my bike needs the same bearings as your so I can swap my gsxr front end in.

It's a 30x47x15... The closes stock one is 30X48X15 and I heard you can have them turned down to 47mm at a machine shop.

Curious as to what you did.

EDIT:
    NM I saw that you DID get them from zoran. Happen to order extra by any chance? I sent him in a e-mail but a 3 week wait will have me jonesing. I wonder is it's fast to ship to the states and go pick it up.
    Last edited by Freestyle72; 04-28-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    Hey on your front end swap did you ordered the tapered roller bearing from Zoran at TWFracing? Or did you press the stem into the new triples?

I just found out my bike needs the same bearings as your so I can swap my gsxr front end in.

It's a 30x47x15... The closes stock one is 30X48X15 and I heard you can have them turned down to 47mm at a machine shop.

Curious as to what you did.

EDIT:
    NM I saw that you DID get them from zoran. Happen to order extra by any chance? I sent him in a e-mail but a 3 week wait will have me jonesing. I wonder is it's fast to ship to the states and go pick it up.
    Hey,

I did order it from Zoran. It took around 3 weeks to get here. No, I don't have any extras. waiting sucks for sure especially when the weather's nice out.

check with Spears Racing as well.

http://www.spearsenterprises.com/products.html

they have it listed under their product page for the SV650. should be the exact same bearing.

hope that help.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]

Sorry one last question. When you removed your stem and stuff did you have to damage your top bearing and race? Why I ask is if I order this from zoran and decide to powdercoat later so I have to remove this stuff, will I need the new bearing again?

Sorry one last question. When you removed your stem and stuff did you have to damage your top bearing and race? Why I ask is if I order this from zoran and decide to powdercoat later so I have to remove this stuff, will I need the new bearing again?
    No problem. Do you mean removing the stem from the lower triple? I didn't have to do that as the new GSXR stuff is actually a direct fit into the sv frame minus the top bearing.

I wouldn't worry about the lower, I would just have the Pcoating place tape it up nicely and not worry about pressing the stem out.

If you're talking about the top half of the bearing in the frame, its the same deal. I wouldn't worry about taking it out. But I did manage to remove the old one without damaging it if that's what you're wondering.

I don't think you will need new bearings.

Its a 3 piece bearing up top and in the bottom.

Inner race sits in the neck, both the upper and lower portions.

The lower outer race sits on the bottom of the steering stem. This either needs to be cut out or the stem pressed out, there are multiple ways to get it out.

The upper outer race, sits on the bearing, its free. This race is sqeezed down, and sits below the lock nuts, and slides to set the head bearing preload.

The bearing races ofcourse float in between.

You can take the upper outer race out easily, it just comes off. The lower outer race and both the lower and upper inner races need some creativity and special tools.

Quote Originally Posted by DY View Post
    No problem. Do you mean removing the stem from the lower triple? I didn't have to do that as the new GSXR stuff is actually a direct fit into the sv frame minus the top bearing.

I wouldn't worry about the lower, I would just have the Pcoating place tape it up nicely and not worry about pressing the stem out.

If you're talking about the top half of the bearing in the frame, its the same deal. I wouldn't worry about taking it out. But I did manage to remove the old one without damaging it if that's what you're wondering.

I don't think you will need new bearings.

I saw the pic that you were using a roller taper upper head bearing, prob an ALL BALLS one.

Is the lower one a taper roller? or is that just OEM? I would think its oem as the all balls use differ races as they are roller taped vs. oem which aren't.

Is that a good idea? lower OEM and upper Roller Taper?

Looking at your pics.

There is a pic of the stem with a lower outer bearing race, that looks like OEM outer races.

There is another pic with a set that shows a tapered roller upper.

just curious

April 28th, 2010:

Lots got done today.

- Headlight bracket. I decided to make it myself as the SV brackets are $50 each from the dealer. To stick with the theme of the SV having a tube trellis frame, and now with the braced swingarm. I decided to make the bracket from tubes as well.

painted red. i like it.

Also mounted the gauges up to where the ignition use to be. The ignition lock from the GSXR doesn't work with the SV. So either way, it was useless.

and....

could be on the road earlier than i thought!

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    Looking at your pics.

There is a pic of the stem with a lower outer bearing race, that looks like OEM outer races.

There is another pic with a set that shows a tapered roller upper.

just curious
    Yes, the lower race is still the OEM stuff and the upper is the custom bearing specifically for putting the gsxr stuff on the sv. Its not all balls.

I'm not sure as if its bad to mix the two. It seems the OEM ball design is better transferring load vertically which would make sense to have it on the bottom. while the roller bearing is better for transferring lateral load, so its better on top?

or i could just be talking outta my ***.

April 29th, 2010:

- No parts came in today. should be in Friday.

- The painted dried on the brackets. looks sick! I electrical taped the inside of the clamps so they won't scratch the forks.

- Got the clipons, gauges all mounted up.

- Got this idea from another member that built a nice sv too. I relocated the igntion to inside the frame.

- Exhaust is back on. It was a absolutely PITA to install it without scratching anything up.

electricals are getting hooked up tomorrow. then it should be smooth sailing from there.

neat idea for the ignition.

but what happens if you you drop, high/low side it?
    wouldnt the key snap off and get stuck in there?

Also for normal riding, does it hit your leg?
    '08 Hurricane White CBR125R - SOLD
    '11 Metallic Black CBR 250RA

April 30th, 2010:
    - Got Alot done today too.

-Mounted up the calipers. Had to drive to brampton to pick up the caliper bolts. they were $5 a piece from the dealership.

- Trimmed the spacers down to 5MM. they fit perfectly. I still need to make an axel tool for the front. Anyone know any easy ways to make one?

- Got 90% of the wiring down. This was a PITA because it was a race harness before and I had to convert it back to street. humongous mess but I'm happy its sorted now.

- Headlight on. I had to make the headlight harness myself. Lucky I bought a spare naked SV harness before.

- Exhaust is back on. Seriously rashed and beaten up. I'll be putting carbon can on there eventually. Since its a highmount. The footpeg is going to be very weird.

May 1st, 2010:

- cleaned up the wiring. Took a while to sort out but I'm happy with how clean it is. I'm still a bit worried about water proofing but we'll see.

- Carbs back in.

- Airbox back on.

- I had to make my own bolts to extend the footpegs because no one sells M8 this long.

- I really hate how this looks but its gonna have to do for now.

- Almost there! If I can work out a couple things tomorrow. I should be on the road next Wednesday! can't wait.

- I also filled up the cooling system with distilled water and water wetter. Rotella went into the engine. I said my prayers and pressed the starter. she fired right up and ran as well as it did before I put it away. God, it sounds good!

- The Koso gauge is wayyy too cool. I'll some pictures next time I have a battery in it.

That's it for now. Feel free to post any questions or concerns.
    Last edited by DY; 05-01-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Looking good Davin. I just took these pictures of the high mount thats on my F4i. If you can't get any other leads on parts locally, try calling Hindle and see if they can sell you some parts. Thats IF this bolt is long enough, cant tell from your pictures it looks like it may just be a bit short.... either way... something to look into.

If only I had a garage of my own. I love it, keep up the awesome work man.

For the axle tool maybe you could try a bolt with the head the same size of the internal hex of the axle, then thread a nut onto it and weld/ tack it in place. So the bolt head fits into the axle and the nut goes into a wrench/ socket. That, or get a piece of solid hex bar or there is a $50+ tool.

I have one suggestion, a bit late but here goes anyway. Your head light/ gauge cluster bracket while nifty maybe a bit on the light side or in other words made of material not rigid enough. I made a headlight bracket many years ago that was nice and light, but the material was not rigid enough and while idling and worse yet when riding the light wanted to be more like a strobe light. Very wierd when riding. Hopefully it works and it just appears that way in the photos.

Good luck with the build, I'm envious.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    He's not the only one with a personality disorder on this website. He just 'acquired' his. Others are born with theirs.

looks awesome man hope you get out riding soon i heard it was a nice day today in the gta

i hope you can scrape enough money for paint because it just wont look complete when you throw that blue rear section on there good job man, was good following your project.

Man Suzuki really got it right with the first gen sv's, I love these things in almost any form. You've done a great done with it so far, I personally would love to see that back wheel black though but regardless awesome work.
    Table's they turn sometimes....Payback is a you know what)...

Although I'm not sure how big the opening is for your front axle , I've have had success with a spark plug socket turned backwards (on a 03 zx6r, 04 r1 and 07 r1... all of which were 22mm)

I'm sure you'll know exactly what to do with it when you see it.

No updates for now. bike is basically done. I've practically lived in the garage for the last few days.

I'll snap some pictures tomorrow. I drove all the way to KapscoMoto and grabbed some turn signals and license plate lights. They were cheap and the quality definitely shows. They will be fine for now though.

Because of the high mount, I had to get really creative with the turn signals. will show with pictures later.

Also did the R6 throttle mod. Much much better than before. It is almost exactly 1/6th turn.

All electricals are working, still waiting for sprockets and chain to come in from Pannon. still need the brake banjos from Rob too. That is really the only mechanical thing I need before I can get it safetied. If the parts come in tomorrow, then I just might be able to get it saftied tomorrow as well!

I'm considering spray bombing the fender and tail section black. it looks ridiculous right now.

I'm also saving up for a paint job this winter, so the paint will only be temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin_chan View Post
    neat idea for the ignition.

but what happens if you you drop, high/low side it?
    wouldnt the key snap off and get stuck in there?

Also for normal riding, does it hit your leg?
    The frame slider is actually further out than the key, so that's okay. and its out of the way from my knee.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoTTY88 View Post
    Looking good Davin. I just took these pictures of the high mount thats on my F4i. If you can't get any other leads on parts locally, try calling Hindle and see if they can sell you some parts. Thats IF this bolt is long enough, cant tell from your pictures it looks like it may just be a bit short.... either way... something to look into.
    Thanks Scott. I will contact hindle regarding that.

Quote Originally Posted by toybm View Post
    If only I had a garage of my own. I love it, keep up the awesome work man.

For the axle tool maybe you could try a bolt with the head the same size of the internal hex of the axle, then thread a nut onto it and weld/ tack it in place. So the bolt head fits into the axle and the nut goes into a wrench/ socket. That, or get a piece of solid hex bar or there is a $50+ tool.

I have one suggestion, a bit late but here goes anyway. Your head light/ gauge cluster bracket while nifty maybe a bit on the light side or in other words made of material not rigid enough. I made a headlight bracket many years ago that was nice and light, but the material was not rigid enough and while idling and worse yet when riding the light wanted to be more like a strobe light. Very wierd when riding. Hopefully it works and it just appears that way in the photos.

Good luck with the build, I'm envious.
    Thanks! The headlight bracket is very stiff. I was worried about that as well but it was better than expected so I didn't brace it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    looks awesome man hope you get out riding soon i heard it was a nice day today in the gta

i hope you can scrape enough money for paint because it just wont look complete when you throw that blue rear section on there good job man, was good following your project.
    Thanks Zac, A new paint job is definitely on the way. and the blue tail looks horrible. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
    Man Suzuki really got it right with the first gen sv's, I love these things in almost any form. You've done a great done with it so far, I personally would love to see that back wheel black though but regardless awesome work.
    The wheel will get PC'ed this winter too. I just can't wait to ride anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 1WheelDrive View Post
    Although I'm not sure how big the opening is for your front axle , I've have had success with a spark plug socket turned backwards (on a 03 zx6r, 04 r1 and 07 r1... all of which were 22mm)

I'm sure you'll know exactly what to do with it when you see it.
    Someone on the SV forum messaged me saying the 5/8in threaded coupler will work. so that's that problem solved.
    Last edited by DY; 05-03-2010 at 10:19 PM.