[DY's] SV650 Winter Project - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [DY's] SV650 Winter Project

Re: [DY's] SV650 Winter Project

December 23rd, 2009:
    - Next step is to get the engine back in. I decided to keep the valve covers off until the end so I don't end up scratching them.

- First step was getting the spacers back and lining all the bolts up.

- Rather than lifting the engine into the frame it was easier to drop the frame onto the engine. After some muscling around, the engine is in and the frame propped back up.

- Now this is clean!

- Check out paintings in the background. I find they help me with the creative side of uhh....bike building. ignore the scratch up engine cover, I'll get that painted eventually when I get a new gasket to replace the old one.

- Valve cover seals

- Covers back on. HOT.

- Every bolt has been torqued to factory spec with the help of the service manual. All important ones have locktite on them.
    Last edited by DY; 12-26-2009 at 04:33 PM.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

December 24th, 2009:
    - As it turns out the 2nd gen. Woodcraft frame sliders I bought earlier doesn't exactly fit. The bolts are all too long or too short. No problem, I went off to Brafasco. They told me in these exact words "we don't stock metric fine threads"

- I could order them from somewhere but I'm not down for paying $6 for a bolt. After more consideration, I decided to make a spacer for one side and shorten the frame slider on the other to make it fit.

- In the workshop:

- I'm not exactly well equipped to do crazy machining. This setup doesn't exactly grab the piece well. Working so far away from the jaw means if I try to cut to fast, the thing will just fly off. Done!

- Next was to make a spacer for the other side.

- here is what the spacer does: Before, After.

FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]

Continued:
    - Some parts were sprayed with bedliner.

- Subframe, clipons on.

- Electricals back in.

- Mocking up the tail, rear wheel.

- Front.

- Rear set back on.

- The silver wheel actually looks good. I didn't think the color would work out very well.

Excellent progress man, it's inspiring for me since my bike is currently completely apart. Check your pm for the powdercoating contact info.

January 3, 2010:
    - Happy 2010! This is the last update for a while. School starts again tomorrow.

- Nothing significant has been done since the last update. Oh, I found the rim I bought was bent. I have another one from a SV1k on the way. No problem, just have to machine the spacer down another 5mm to make it work. Now I need ideas for this $70 boat anchor. maybe a coffee table.

- Other small bits went back on. I took some times one night and polished the rearsets a bit. Never been a fan of alot of chrome but a bit here and there is very nice.

- Got the pegs back on. Spray painted the rear MC mount.

- The previous previous owner had cut the wires on the thermo fan switch. this was a race bike but atleast leave a bit of wires so the part is not ruined! I saved it by putting on the mill and carefully taking off a bit of epoxy around the wires then soldering new wires onto it.

- Crashproof my shifter lever. These always snap off in a crash so I cut a notch right at the shifter and drilled a hole slightly next to it. This way when I do bin it, I can just put a screw into the hole and keep going.

- Lastly, Mounted up my steering damper. This ratio is a bit off and the damper runs out of room before it gets to full lock. I can adjust it but not anytime soon. until riding season starts anyways. the big piece is made from 7000 series alum. It looks kinda crappy because I'm getting really bad lash on the mill for some reason. Once everything is finalized I'll be spraying it black.

- I've bought my Koso gauge. they should get here end of January. Once that gets here, I can get my headlight, gauge, signals, etc etc on. I'll be make a one piece mount for everything which is why I'm holding off on mounting the headlight.

- Put the tail piece and tank back on. It looks good, other than having almost all colours of the spectrum. I will paint everything after I get it all together.

updatessssss?!??!?!?????

schools taken over i can tell lol...when my gf's in school its like we dont see each other anymore lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlin View Post
    updatessssss?!??!?!?????
    Not much is going on now. waiting for a bunch of a parts and school is taking a toll on me. 6 courses doesn't leave me much time to do much.

quick update though. the SV1k rim i bought was bent. After a bunch of emails back and forth with the guy. He agreed to refund the wheel.

I will hopefully get another one this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    schools taken over i can tell lol...when my gf's in school its like we dont see each other anymore lol.
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by DY View Post
    See DY this is exactly why I tape off my own parts....I know you probably dont care because you cant see it once mounted on the bike...I would be ******, and make them do it all over again...

PS is your mini lathe from Princess Auto? If so how do you like it for the price? If not what is is and how much?

Quote Originally Posted by DY View Post
    Not much is going on now. waiting for a bunch of a parts and school is taking a toll on me. 6 courses doesn't leave me much time to do much.

Heh, once you get that back on the road I'd like to see it in person, wadaya say we meet up for a ride or something in spring? no homo.

January 30th, 2010:

- Koso gauge came in. I had my sister buy it for me in Taiwan for about half the list price here. She brought it back for me just now. KOSO is a Taiwanese company and their domestic price is much much better.

The number of functions on this thing is ridiculous. oil temp, water temp, over rev warning, gear indicator, fuel gauge, 7 colours of backlight.

even power tests. it will record 0-100 times for you along with other cool stuff.

I also picked up another wheel at the bike show from Chinto. Mounted it on and was very happy to see that everything is perfectly straight.

this thing just didn't look quite right without a front wheel.

Heh, once you get that back on the road I'd like to see it in person, wadaya say we meet up for a ride or something in spring? no homo.
    for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    See DY this is exactly why I tape off my own parts....I know you probably dont care because you cant see it once mounted on the bike...I would be ******, and make them do it all over again...

PS is your mini lathe from Princess Auto? If so how do you like it for the price? If not what is is and how much?
    I know what you mean about the paint. that bit was a piss off for sure.

The lathe is from Harbour Freight in New York. We drove over and picked it up. The quality is okay for what I'm doing. But the motor is weak. Once the lash is adjusted properly it works nice. theres a bunch of upgrades you can do. I don't remember the site that sells them. like bigger chuck...etc..etc

I just don't have to time get it working properly. a coolant catch and a pump would be amazing. i need more tools as well but they are damn expensive.

judging from some of the machines you work with, I don't think this is gonna be up to par with your standards. but you can make it work good if you want to.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93212

looks sick man, whats the colour scheme for the fairings?

is that a big brake kit?

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post

is that a big brake kit?
    Those are stock GSXR rotors, they are either 300mm or 320mm depending on the year/model

Awesome job! I wish I had the funds and space to do that to my 02 SVS!
    2002 Suzuki SV650S

any photos of the finished product? or is it still in pieces?

any photos of the finished product? or is it still in pieces?
    Still in the same shape as the last update. I made a promise not to touch the bike until I pass this term. Last exam is April 23, so it should be done shortly after.

Quote Originally Posted by ripcurl View Post
    Awesome job! I wish I had the funds and space to do that to my 02 SVS!
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Those are stock GSXR rotors, they are either 300mm or 320mm depending on the year/model
    These are actually SV1000 rotors with 310mm. I wanted to go with the 320 but I found these for super cheap. the pattern is the exact same though.

Quick update, progress should resume in a week or two. I'm debating whether to paint it right away and start my season even later than it already has.

(I'll lose another month or so, need to find a job to pay for all the crap first)

There are a couple important things I need to spend money on before its even rideable.

-headlight (brackets have to be made)
    -tires (power pures)
    -turn signals
    -rebuild the Ohlins (the reservoir tube has to be adjusted or will touch the swingarm brace when fully compressed)
    -rebuild the forks (but i can do that myself further down the road but getting it properly sprung and setup with be nice too)
    -mount the gauge (and various brackets)

the last thing would be the paint job and i would like to do a a scheme with 4 colours white, black, candy red with gold highlights. its gonna be pricey.

I want to PC the wheels as well but don't want to spend another $100 on bearings right now.

having said that, this thing will look ridiculous without some new paint. white fender, blue tail, red swingarm, red tank, yellow shock, gold forks. silver back rim, black front rim.....anyways, you get the idea.

I would say ride it as is man. I like colourful bikes. And you probably won't care that much once it's all together and riding beautifully anyway.

I suspect once all put together will actually look fine.

School is now over, and I did pass. Also found my summer job today which means I can continue working on this project.

April 26th, 2010:

- Checked the carbs over today and they were perfectly fine. I ran seafoam through them before winter and drained it completely. Not a bit of varnish whatsoever.

- Sorted out the brake caliper spacers. I milled them down to 5MM from the 10MM before. Caliper bolts I got are way too long. So I will have to find new ones somewhere.

- Mock fitted the steel lines from the SV onto the GSXR radial master. They were the perfect length. I've heard the nissin radial is not that great but they should be better than the old SV one.

- Ordered Power Pures from Pete. They should be here tomorrow and I will have them put on ASAP. With that done, I can finally roll the bike out of house into the garage and get some progress.

- A problem also came up with the reservoir tube coming out of the shock.

The tube will touch the swingarm when it compresses. So I have to figure out a way to angle it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    I would say ride it as is man. I like colourful bikes. And you probably won't care that much once it's all together and riding beautifully anyway.

I suspect once all put together will actually look fine.
    I've decided just that. If my budget allows, I will get it painted at the end of the season. But I've already missed a month of riding this year and I can't wait anymore.

Your FZR is looking sick as well.
    Last edited by DY; 04-26-2010 at 07:58 PM.