[DY's] SV650 Winter Project

Thread: [DY's] SV650 Winter Project

• Display

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: [DY's] SV650 Winter Project

More updates from before:

October:
    - Picked up an 04 GSXR 750 front end from Glen @ FS-motorcycle. Also picked up a headlight, frame sliders, bar end mirrors.

These forks are in great shape. looks real good after I cleaned them up a bit. I still need 50mm clip-ons and a front wheel.

Earlier November:
    - couldn't wait for next season to try the bike out. Decided to take it out to Cayuga. It didn't go exactly as planned and I had small get off. Nothing major on the bike whatsoever. I got a bit banged up however. Decided to call it a day and brought the bike back home. That was the season for me.

- To drop the engine and remove the swingarm, I had to get those castle nuts off. I bought some sockets from PA and grounded them down.

The smaller socket fits the two smaller nuts (upper and lower engine mount)

The bigger one fit the two bigger ones (engine mount, swingarm)

Here are the dimension for the sockets. Any 12 point socket with the same outer diameter will work.

This is how it looks as of now:

I still have to prepare the frame for powdercoating. the subframe is already plugged up, ready to go. Can't figure out a good way to cover the mounting holes yet.

The engine covers are going for paint as well.

November 14, 2009:
    - to do the GSXR front end on 1st gen SV, I needed a special bearing kit. I spoke to Zoran from Twin Works Factory and a set is on the way. Top guy to deal with, it took only 2 hours when I first emailed him to me sending money via paypal.

November 19, 2009:
    - After talking to Aaron from Weirtech (www.weirtech.ca). I dropped off my swingarm at his shop. He said it will probably be ready in about 2 weeks. Here is one of the custom one's Zoran made.

Here are some concepts I did at work. Yes, I do something else other than surfing GTAM all day. I liked the looks of the round tubing the best and decided to go with that. Aaron said he preferred to work with round tubing as well . most would do the square tubing because its the easiest to work with.

*WARNING* this purely a performance mod. I ride it so fast that I can feel it flexing under me. i need this extra rigidity to break the sound barrier. Don't Hate!

November 20, 2009:
    - Browsing E-Bay one day. I saw a 2003 GSXR 600 rim on bid for $20. for the heck of it, i placed a bid last minute. Ended up winning it for $70 with the rotors included. It arrived today.

I thought, for this price, something was gonna be wrong with it for sure. But after some inspection, it looks alright. rim is straight. so are the rotors. lots of life left in them as well!

Thats it for now. The waiting game continues.

Next up would be making the spacers for brake calipers. I believe I need either 5 or 10mm spacers. Will have to check on svrider.com
    Last edited by DY; 11-21-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: screwed up some info
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!