[DY's] SV650 Winter Project

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [DY's] SV650 Winter Project

Lightbulb [DY's] SV650 Winter Project

open for discussion. If future updates are not directly under the previous. A link "next update" will be at the bottom of each post.
    this is to document my progress with my new to me SV650.
    After spending 2 years on the CBR250, I finally decided to upgrade to a bigger bike. That thing was getting cramped!

It was either going to be the SV650 or a 600. It was a hard decision but the SV was the "logical" upgrade. (The irrational side of me wanted me to get a 600. but three grand for insurance, no thanks )

After getting a chance to ride it, I don't regret this decision at all. It has torque out the wazoo. Half the time I didn't know what gear I was in. just give it gas and it goes!

The bike is an 02 SV650S trackbike. the engine is mildly tweaked. chassis wise, it has a rear Ohlins and RT emulators up front. It has a clean title so I will be converting it back to a streetbike for next year. It will pull double duty as both a street and track machine.

To make going to the track easier, i've decided to build a naked SV and just keep the current fairings for track use. The easier it is to convert, the better.

The bike started as this:

The previous owner also gave me 90% of the street parts.

some of big things i plan to do:
    - complete tear down, clean, and inspect every part.
    - powdercoat the frame, swingarm, bits and pieces.
    - GSXR front end.
    - GSXR 5.5" rear wheel conversion.
    - braced swingarm.
    - Koso digital gauges
    - rizoma signals (still need funding for this one)

Alot of the stuff is cosmetic and for bling. Yes, I know. I don't care it doesn't make me a faster rider or has no performance value.

That's it for now. there will be alot of small mods along the way. hopefully I can keep the camera handy with everything I do.

day one of owning the bike (late October): already stripped down. then winterized.

More updates coming soon.
    Last edited by DY; 12-16-2009 at 07:33 PM.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

Re: [DY's] SV650 Winter Project

More updates from before:

October:
    - Picked up an 04 GSXR 750 front end from Glen @ FS-motorcycle. Also picked up a headlight, frame sliders, bar end mirrors.

These forks are in great shape. looks real good after I cleaned them up a bit. I still need 50mm clip-ons and a front wheel.

Earlier November:
    - couldn't wait for next season to try the bike out. Decided to take it out to Cayuga. It didn't go exactly as planned and I had small get off. Nothing major on the bike whatsoever. I got a bit banged up however. Decided to call it a day and brought the bike back home. That was the season for me.

- To drop the engine and remove the swingarm, I had to get those castle nuts off. I bought some sockets from PA and grounded them down.

The smaller socket fits the two smaller nuts (upper and lower engine mount)

The bigger one fit the two bigger ones (engine mount, swingarm)

Here are the dimension for the sockets. Any 12 point socket with the same outer diameter will work.

This is how it looks as of now:

I still have to prepare the frame for powdercoating. the subframe is already plugged up, ready to go. Can't figure out a good way to cover the mounting holes yet.

The engine covers are going for paint as well.

November 14, 2009:
    - to do the GSXR front end on 1st gen SV, I needed a special bearing kit. I spoke to Zoran from Twin Works Factory and a set is on the way. Top guy to deal with, it took only 2 hours when I first emailed him to me sending money via paypal.

November 19, 2009:
    - After talking to Aaron from Weirtech (www.weirtech.ca). I dropped off my swingarm at his shop. He said it will probably be ready in about 2 weeks. Here is one of the custom one's Zoran made.

Here are some concepts I did at work. Yes, I do something else other than surfing GTAM all day. I liked the looks of the round tubing the best and decided to go with that. Aaron said he preferred to work with round tubing as well . most would do the square tubing because its the easiest to work with.

*WARNING* this purely a performance mod. I ride it so fast that I can feel it flexing under me. i need this extra rigidity to break the sound barrier. Don't Hate!

November 20, 2009:
    - Browsing E-Bay one day. I saw a 2003 GSXR 600 rim on bid for $20. for the heck of it, i placed a bid last minute. Ended up winning it for $70 with the rotors included. It arrived today.

I thought, for this price, something was gonna be wrong with it for sure. But after some inspection, it looks alright. rim is straight. so are the rotors. lots of life left in them as well!

Thats it for now. The waiting game continues.

Next up would be making the spacers for brake calipers. I believe I need either 5 or 10mm spacers. Will have to check on svrider.com
    Last edited by DY; 11-21-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: screwed up some info
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]

Did some more reading on Svrider.com.

Since the rim is off a 2003 gsxr 600, I have to make 10mm spacers for them.

97-03 gsxr 600-320mm
    96-03 gsxr750-320mm
    all tl/busa-320mm
    01-02 gsxr1000-320mm
    03-04 gsxr1000-300mm
    05 gsxr1000-310mm
    sv1000-310mm
    04-05 gsxr600/750-300mm
    06's-310mm
    they all have same bolt patern except 05 gsxr 1000 and 06's all gsxr's.
    97-01 gsxr600,96-00 gsxr750,busa and tl are srad generation and wheels and rotors interchange.
    rest of them are newer gen and all wheels work as long you have wheel and rotor combination that works for your forks.bigger diameter rotors will work with spacers and longer caliper bolts.smaller will not.
    hope that is clear.
    December 1, 2009:

- Not much progress. Still waiting for parts. I've been very busy (and lazy). I'm also REALLY procrastinating the prep work for powdercoating.

- Spoke to Aaron from Weirtech. He said the swingarm should be ready by the end of this week. once the swingarm is here, everything is going out for media blasting then paint.

- The tapered roller bearing I ordered from www.TWFracing.com finally got here after three weeks. Zoran is a top guy to deal with. Always answered emails promptly and even sent instructions with the bearing!

- Another thing I'm installing would be a damper. I have a Sprint Damper that I kept when I sold my R6. Not technically needed for the SV unless one really screws with the steering geometry.... But why the heck not, I got it for free. The GSXR forks already have provisions for a steering damper so adapting this should be easy.

Its been said a damper is one of those things that "you don't need until you wished you had one".

- Also snagged a GSXR fender and these 50mm headlight mounts. Everything including shipping was $77. definitely a steal.

That would be it for now.
    Last edited by DY; 12-16-2009 at 02:21 PM.

December 4th, 2009:

- Picked up my swingarm from Weirtech. Great work. looks amazing.

- also bought a roll of special powdercoating tape. I will be doing the masking myself for a piece of mind.

December 5th, 2009:

- All the parts are ready to go for sandblasting next Monday. Everything is masked off.

- Got the ignition out of both triple trees. I just drilled the safety screws out. Not worth buying the bit just to do this.

- Both valve covers are off and will go to sandblasting with the other parts.

By next Friday, I should hopefully have everything painted and ready to be put back together. Hoping to find some swingarm, linkage bearings for cheap as well.

There should be alot of updates next week. I only have until end of this year to finish most of the bike. School is starting up again in January and I won't have much time to work on it until April.
    Last edited by DY; 12-13-2009 at 07:36 PM.

December 7th, 2009:
    - Took the frame, subframe, swingarm, valve covers to Soda Pro (www.sodapro.com). Should get them back Wednesday, the 9th.

December 8th, 2009:
    - Made the brake caliper spacers myself. As mentioned above, I needed 10mm spacers to make up for the bigger disks.

I don't want to do this again. it took way too long on my mini-lathe. about 4hrs to make four spacers from 1" stock.

Here is the lathe:
    just for size comparison. the spacer is about 1" in diameter.

- Got my GSXR fender in the mail today. Looks great. It even has the OEM white sparkle paint on it. no blemish at all. not bad for $30.
    Last edited by DY; 12-13-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: grammar/sp

December 9th, 2009:
    - Picked up my parts from Soda Pro. Very very pricey. way too steep for me but there was no other way to do it. everything came out absolutely perfect though.

Here you can see all the holes plugged up as well. It is always better to take the time to plug it rather than cross threading every hole after. PC is a huge pain to take off since its so thick.

- The same night I spent 4hrs masking everything off for paint. It was a huge PITA! the special tape is not very flexible and is more like a hard plastic sheet than tape. Before taping, I also wiped all the surfaces with alcohol to get all any dirt off. If the tape was too big, they had to be trimmed down to size with a knife as well.

December 10th, 2009:
    - Dropped by Jet Cote after work today. Hit some traffic along the way and they closed right when I pulled in. I literally passed the workers leaving the parking lot as I drove in. Definite piss off for sure.

December 11th, 2009:
    - Woohoo! Everything is off to paint. I left early for work this morning and dropped by Byers Bush before work. I wasn't satisfied with their colour choices and it would be stupid expensive for them to order special powder for me just to get the job done. So I only left my frame and subframe with them to get it coated in semi-gloss black.

- Later that morning, I called Fireball Coatings in Erin. They had the colour in stock and could get it done it 2-4 days. I decided to drive up afterwork and get it to Mark. that was a long *** drive up!

- I have to buy new swingarm linkage bearings next week and get this baby back together.
    Last edited by DY; 12-11-2009 at 09:18 PM.

December 14th, 2009:
    - Serious issue with powdercoating.

For some reason, the paint is blistering very badly. I don't know the reason yet but I believe its caused by the soda blasting as this blistering happened on both steel and aluminium. I think the soda they used is not as clean as they claimed to be. (review coming soon. never use Soda Pro!) either that or the metal is contaminated. Needless to say, both pieces are junk. They both have to be stripped down, prepped, and painted again. I picked them up today and was told I could take them to a chemical stripper in cambridge. The turnaround would be a week. But I don't have a week!

After more research, I went to Napa and bought some aircraft stripper. to my surprise, it actually worked very well. I managed to get the frame 97% stripped and the rest of the PC softened up in 2hrs .
    I'm also willing to bet it was so easy to strip because of the terrible adhesion. The paint on the steel piece comes off in pieces when scratched instead of just leaving a scratch.

yepp, another one of those "I'm never doing this **** again."

I will be dropping off both parts at my PC place tomorrow morning so they can hit it with the proper media this time. they usually don't blast PC'd parts because media is almost useless. In this case because the adhesion is so bad, it could just work.
    Very very costly problem. its gonna put me back bigtime as far as progress goes.

not a good day.
    Last edited by DY; 12-15-2009 at 07:53 AM.

December 15th, 2009:
    -Returned my parts to my Pcoater this morning. They will sandblast it for me, wash, and bake it. Then I will mask it myself again and return it to them for paint.

I also spoke to Mark from Fireball. I told him to blast the parts again with sand and remask everything. its the only guarenteed way to have it come out good.

So basically, I wasted alot of money to do soda blasting that only caused more problems than good.

I have also confirmed that the soda is the cause of the problem. I posted a question a Pc forum and got this:

It was the soda blast. Soda blasting leaves a residue on the part that causes the powder to blister if it is not removed by washing. When prepping a MC frame just sand blast it with fine media 80-100grit. To fix the frame just sand blast the blistered coating off and recoat. Soda blasting sounds like a good idea, but in my opinion it has no place in powder coat preparation.
    #1, soda blasting is not a very good method for blasting bike parts, although you get a super smooth finish, you dont have any blasting profile on the metal which gives the powder more to hold on to. #2 You are supposed to wash the metal after soda blasting, the residual sodium will react with the powder. Does it look like swiss cheese melted all over? Soda blasting leaves a coating on metal that will keep it from rusting for a good amount of time, I have heard of cars sitting in the rain for more than a month that were soda blasted and they had no signs of rust. I also heard that you are supposed to use a mild vinegar solution when washing soda blasted parts to neutralize the soda. Do some research on that.

Find someone that can reblast your parts with 80mesh aluminum oxide or even 60mesh that has been reused a couple times. at 40PSI!!!!!!!!!

What kind of bike frame is this? I assume a dirt bike, I cant think of any bikes that had aluminum frames and steel subframes. If its a 2 stroke, it would have been wise to bake the frame before masking it, any oil that may have gotten inside the frame would have baked out and shown you where it was, further cleaning would have been needed.

#3 Find a coater that is not working out of his shed after his 9-5. Any professional shop is not going to let you bring them blasted parts that have been masked to make their job easier because things like this WILL happen! people try to outsource blasting to save them money vs. bringing it to me and their parts are either destroyed because the average person doesnt know any better that aluminum car rims cant be blasted at 150+psi with slag or they have their stuff blasted and toss it in the bed of their pickup truck where they recently had an oil spill and now they have cost themselves more money and me some added labor. Blasted parts should go from the blast room to either a rack or onto a wash station, should not be touched by human hands unless they have been previously washed and even I avoid that at all cause, rubber gloves only and should not come in contact with clothing as it leaves fibers embedded in the blasted finish. Can I be confident that parts brought to me have been handled with care? never! I will still reblast them when I get them and charge the customer for my time.

If you paid any more than $100 to get that stuff soda blasted you should go back and ask for the other half of that tube of KY. just sayin....
    hopefully that will help someone in the future to save a bunch of dough!
    Last edited by DY; 12-15-2009 at 09:16 AM.

December 15th, 2009:
    -Quick update. I sprayed my GSXR lower triple with bedliner on the weekend and left it to cure in my furnace room for the last two days. it came out wicked. Super tough as well. I didn't PC it because I would have had to press the stem out, get it blasted, blah blah blah, put the stem back in. for this small pieces, I just decided screw it. Bedliner is very tough as well so this is a much cheaper alternative.

I masked off with PC tape because it leaves a nice crisp edge. I used duct tape before and it didn't turn out too good.

- Also cleaned up my ignition before putting it in my GSXR triple. OCD much?

LINK TO NEXT UPDATE:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...31#post1137731
    Last edited by DY; 12-21-2009 at 05:10 PM.

open for discussion.

If future updates are not directly under the previous. A link "next update" will be at the bottom of each post.

let 'er rip.
    Last edited by DY; 12-16-2009 at 07:40 PM.

wicked build man looking forward to seeing the final product...we both started out with r6's and now we're on to something new lol. where do u get this PC tape?

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    wicked build man looking forward to seeing the final product...we both started out with r6's and now we're on to something new lol. where do u get this PC tape?
    LOL.

I called Byers-Bush and they had a roll. It was like $20. You can probably call the closest powdercoater to your house and ask them if they would just sell you a roll.
    Last edited by DY; 12-16-2009 at 10:55 PM.

Impressive man.

Now I know where to go if I ever need any work done

Can't wait to see it in the spring!
    "Never lean to steer. Always steer to lean." - source: unknown.

December 18th, 2009:
    - Picked up the valve covers and swingarm from Fireball. The pictures speak for themselves. I had them do candy red in PC and it came out amazing. The swingarm came out very dark. They had to redo a coating because of some imperfections. They really know what they are doing and the paint quality is light years ahead of byers-bush. But you get what you pay for.

More Pictures here:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=105521

- Also picked up the frame and subframe from byers bush. They blasted it with alumina. Round 2 of masking and paint.

December 21st, 2009:
    - Dropped off the parts at Byers Bush this morning. I specifically told them to wash and prebake the part so there's no chance of it getting screwed up.

- frame should be ready tomorrow.

- swingarm bearings I ordered from Envy should be here today.

- 50mm vortex clipons should get here today.

- Cory from www.402bike.com also hooked me up with all the missing steering stem nuts/washers for a great price. should be here later this week.

December 21st, 2009 (night):
    - Got my clip-ons in the mail!

shameless advertising:
    Please buy my old SV parts! I need funding for this project. check them out below!
    Last edited by DY; 12-21-2009 at 07:04 PM.

December 22nd, 2009:
    - Christmas definitely came early for me. After all the delays and screw ups, everything is finally here and ready to be put back together. Woohoo! its a great relief.

- Swingarm bearings came in this morning.

- Got my stem nuts in the mail today.

- Lastly, Jet Cote came through again and got the powdercoating done. Today was their last day before Christmas. Amazing job and for all the issues, it still didn't cost that much. This is the second time I've used them and will definitely use them again.

LINK TO NEXT UPDATE:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...44#post1138944
    Last edited by DY; 12-26-2009 at 04:52 PM.

looks like a quality job, I might PC my MX frame in the same colour red.

Banned

looks very nice,i love that red

Now that Zacm7 would look hot!!!

keep them coming DY looks really good!

December 22nd, 2009 (night):

I really have to get my *** to bed for work tomorrow....but here are a few teasers.

Detailed update coming soon. thanks for reading. everything is coming together beautifully.

BTW:yes, that is inside a house. My enormous charm and persuasion skills has allowed me to work within the warmth......for now.

Quote Originally Posted by lmnop88 View Post
    Impressive man.

Now I know where to go if I ever need any work done

Can't wait to see it in the spring!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    looks like a quality job, I might PC my MX frame in the same colour red.
    If you wanna do it in the candy red, take it to Fireball. Byers bush doesn't have the colour or the equipment to get the same quality. They can order the colour in but the cost for either place would be about equal. Jet Cote is more industrial quantity, heavy duty. While Fireball is more about style and very, very high quality paint. they already have the red in stock as well. Definitely post a pic if you do decide to paint!

Quote Originally Posted by gto3 View Post
    looks very nice,i love that red
    Quote Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
    Now that Zacm7 would look hot!!!

keep them coming DY looks really good!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by DY; 12-23-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Here is the long delayed update. Alot has been done and I didn't feel like typing all this out on my first few days of holiday. Happy Holidays everyone!

December 22rd (continued):
    - productive day. First order of business of getting everything back together is to get the chassis together. The swingarm has to go on, and the forks has to go on. I bought a triple tree stand just for this since I don't have a front tire yet.

- The swingarm bearings must be pressed into place and not hammered because they are easily damaged. The dealers have a special "tool" which consists a threaded rod and a few pieces of spacers to press the bearing in. I went to Rona and bought a threaded rod, 4 nuts, and 4 washers. Voila I have my own tool for $5.

- The trick was to lightly tap the bearing in with a hammer first. just enough so its straight and doesn't fall out.

- Then you do this:

- Here's another shot of the other bearings:

- After that, I packed the bearings in and cleaned the chain slider and other small bits. repacked and regreased everything and put it back together.

- Everything went together painlessly for the most part after that. Cleaned the Ohlins up a bit and put it back. The new steering head bearing was a PITA to install. You are supposed to use the old bearing race to hammer the new one in. That was alot hard when it chipped in half. After that, I still used the old race but went at it very lightly.

- All the bearings were degreased then packed again with new lube.
    Last edited by DY; 12-26-2009 at 11:52 AM.