Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
I see the sense in this. We already know the lead rider has a certain responsibility for the riders behind. I know of groups that have been pulled over and the lead rider, being a mature and sensible person, asked to spare the riders behind because they were only trying to keep up. So in fact he was acknowledging his greater share of responsibility.

This rule would only enforce what we (should) already know is just and fair.
Bottom line, you have a licence, you have the responsibility to obey the law. If the leader is breaking the law, you have the choice between doing the same or toeing the line. The resonsibility is yours and not the lead rider's. While a few extremists might scream for higher taxes and harsher legal penalties for everyone and everything, I'd rather not live in a police state, so I'll sincerely hope that you never see the inside of a political office other than being a delivery-boy.
I've organized my fair share of group rides. The speed is always the lowest speed that every rider is comfortable with. Why should I be more culpable than everyone else who chose to follow me? If you don't like the pace, signal that you're leaving the group and leave. Don't ***** and whine that the evil group leader coerced you to break the law and that you're just a poor lost little girl, just obeying the commands of his immense authority.