Street racing unconstitutional appeal time? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Street racing unconstitutional appeal time?

Re: Street racing unconstitutional appeal time?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeandapancake View Post
    Well everyone it happens to should go make a formal complaint, not just come here and ***** about it.
    I agree, though it can be tough to get a plate number in such a situation.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    No, it would be slowing to comply with the speed limit, as long as it wasn't done rapidly.
    Just one additional note on this point. Even if that holds true in court, you could still get charged, which will cost the most innocent person thousands of dollars. I still travel with that letter from the MTO about standing up on the pegs, even though I'm not very optimistic about it protecting me from being left without a vehicle on the side of the road by a particularly bloodthirsty constable. While they are a very small minority, they do their best to ruin their service's image.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    No, it would be slowing to comply with the speed limit, as long as it wasn't done rapidly.

My usual tactic, when being tailgated, is to hit the hazard lights. If the other driver doesn't back off, I then start to gradually slow down. Sometimes they don't notice how much they've slowed down, until they're 20 under their previous speed.

I really wish that the police forces and JPs would come down heavily on officers who pull this 'pushing' crap. Performing a dangerous act, in order to try and get innocent citizens to perform another dangerous act, isn't the sort of thing that should be condoned through inaction.
    All you ever need to do is simply put your right signal on, and SLOW down to find a spot to move over. But for some reason people have this idea that the only way to handle a tailgater is to speed up. Then again, if you can speed up to get out of the way, then there is nothing in front of you and you really should not be in that lane to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by bear22099 View Post
    All you ever need to do is simply put your right signal on, and SLOW down to find a spot to move over. But for some reason people have this idea that the only way to handle a tailgater is to speed up. Then again, if you can speed up to get out of the way, then there is nothing in front of you and you really should not be in that lane to begin with.
    That's a rather broad statement, for a number of different possible situations. On a three lane highway, where the car behind you seems to not recognize that there is a lane to the left? When you're passing, but not at a speed that seems to meet with the approval of the person behind you?

When you're already passing someone, and someone comes up behind you at a somewhat greater speed, the logical and polite thing to do is speed up slightly and complete your pass.

But for some reason people think that the right thing to do is further impede the person behind you.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

When I am driving 110 on the 403, and I come up behind a car going 100, I will be in the left lane for possibly one full minute passing him. I don't speed up to make my pass if I am already going faster than the car I am passing(not with fuel prices as high as they are, and the laws the way they are-nevermind I drive an 8500 lb truck), unless I absolutely have to, possibly if an even faster car steams up behind me.

bear, your generalization doesn't fit every instance I am afraid.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

what about single lane each way roads with gravel shoulders?
    x

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    what about single lane each way roads with gravel shoulders?
    You can still slow down and make it easier for the idiot to pass you.

With regards to cops "pushing" you to go faster, I doubt it's that as much as it is them moving closer to get a license plate number, especially when you're talking bikes with license plates tucked under the tail. If as a result of that the bike starts going faster, why wouldn't the cop consider laying speeding charegs for whatever speed the rider decides to hit?

Given that the original poster's ticket appeared to have been issued in February, I doubt if it had anything to do with license plates being tucked under the tail of a bike.

If the cop can't read the license number, pull the driver/rider over and THEN read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Given that the original poster's ticket appeared to have been issued in February, I doubt if it had anything to do with license plates being tucked under the tail of a bike.

If the cop can't read the license number, pull the driver/rider over and THEN read it.
    Bike is stock.

No response for turbodish required.

Quote Originally Posted by RumbleMe View Post
    Bike is stock.

I'll fill in for him anyway.. But some manufacturers (I know which ones I'm talking about, but you don't and I won't tell you) are sneaky and they cheat the process so the plates are mounted downward, parallel to the ground. That's why you need to get shot. Move along, citizen
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RumbleMe View Post
    Bike is stock.

You get the response anyways. License plates still have to be read whether on car or bike. If you have the license plate in hand BEFORE the red lights come on, then you're in a much better situation if the person does decide to run.

As for bikes in particular, North America should move to British style bike plates that use the same larger font that appears on car and truck license plates. The smaller font used here is too small to be reliably read at any sort of distance unless you're right up close.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    You get the response anyways. License plates still have to be read whether on car or bike. If you have the license plate in hand BEFORE the red lights come on, then you're in a much better situation if the person does decide to run.

As for bikes in particular, North America should move to British style bike plates that use the same larger font that appears on car and truck license plates. The smaller font used here is too small to be reliably read at any sort of distance unless you're right up close.

Great. Then we won't need speed control legislation because the billboard on the back will create enough wind resistance to keep you from speeding.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Next step: Tax Disks.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    When I am driving 110 on the 403, and I come up behind a car going 100, I will be in the left lane for possibly one full minute passing him. I don't speed up to make my pass if I am already going faster than the car I am passing(not with fuel prices as high as they are, and the laws the way they are-nevermind I drive an 8500 lb truck), unless I absolutely have to, possibly if an even faster car steams up behind me.

bear, your generalization doesn't fit every instance I am afraid.
    Your example is not even close. The average car is what, 20 feet (6.1m)long? You are doing 110, the other car is doing 100, that means that you are effectively passing a parked car while doing 10 km/h. How long does it take to go 6.1 meters at 10 km/h when both vehicles are 20 feet long? I will save you the math, it works out to about 2.2 seconds. A transport that is 80 feet long will take 4 times longer. Still under 10 seconds.
    This also should show that there is really no need to exceed the speed limit by more than 15 km/h when passing on a 2 lane road. But others will insist they MUST do at least 30 km/h more than the car they are passing.

There is no way on earth that I can pass a car in 4 seconds going a mere 10 kmh faster than him. I don't pull out 2 inches from rear bumper and pull back in inches from his front bumper, for starters. I leave a few seconds of space on either end of the car I am passing....although I am not sure why-you seem to know a better way.

And that is on a 4 lane, divided hiway (403 as in my example). On a 2 lane, opposite direction of travel road, 15 kmh isn't sufficient speed differential to make a quick and safe pass.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Your example is not even close. The average car is what, 20 feet (6.1m)long? You are doing 110, the other car is doing 100, that means that you are effectively passing a parked car while doing 10 km/h. How long does it take to go 6.1 meters at 10 km/h when both vehicles are 20 feet long? I will save you the math, it works out to about 2.2 seconds. A transport that is 80 feet long will take 4 times longer. Still under 10 seconds.
    This also should show that there is really no need to exceed the speed limit by more than 15 km/h when passing on a 2 lane road. But others will insist they MUST do at least 30 km/h more than the car they are passing.
    Being in the same lane as oncoming traffic is a far sight more dangerous than exceeding the speed limit. I limit my exposure by passing as reasonably quickly as my vehicle will allow. To do anything else is not good risk management.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post

I think this is in the works in B.C, only a matter of time before it shows up in Ontario.

I've had the OPP high beam me and tailgate me when I'm in my truck. The temptation to slam on the brakes was high. Didn't want to hit the raccoon, it's big enough to damage something... I suppose I could get a spot light and point it rearward, the 1,000 watt halogens should give off enough light for them to see the surrounding area like daylight.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    There is no way on earth that I can pass a car in 4 seconds going a mere 10 kmh faster than him. I don't pull out 2 inches from rear bumper and pull back in inches from his front bumper, for starters. I leave a few seconds of space on either end of the car I am passing....although I am not sure why-you seem to know a better way.

And that is on a 4 lane, divided hiway (403 as in my example). On a 2 lane, opposite direction of travel road, 15 kmh isn't sufficient speed differential to make a quick and safe pass.
    I simply provided the math to show you how long it ACTUALLY takes to go past another vehicle. You claim it takes a full minute, I claim it takes far less. The time you claim means you allow 15 car lengths to complete your pass. That means 7 before the car, and 7 after the car. Good luck with that happening on the 403. You will never get back into the middle(or right) lane with the cars taking your spot trying to go around you.
    And 15 km/h is plenty fast enough if you allow for it. And by allow for it I simply mean you wait till the coast is clear. Keep in mind that on a 2 lane highway you do not initiate your pass from 7 lengths back, and wait 7 lengths to pull back in.

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    I've had the OPP high beam me and tailgate me when I'm in my truck. The temptation to slam on the brakes was high. Didn't want to hit the raccoon, it's big enough to damage something... I suppose I could get a spot light and point it rearward, the 1,000 watt halogens should give off enough light for them to see the surrounding area like daylight.
    If they want you to move out of the way you'd think they'd flash their red lights, unless of course they aren't responding to any emergency but are merely setting a bad example by ignoring the speed limit which of course, OPP routinely do. Shameful really.
    2010 BMW S1000RR