Transfăgărăşan - one of the best rides on the planet!

Thread: Transfăgărăşan - one of the best rides on the planet!

Transfăgărăşan - one of the best roads on the planet!

Last edited by Vlad; 11-19-2009 at 11:28 AM.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Placeholder for a future ride report

Placeholder for a future ride report
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

Re: Transfăgărăşan - one of the best rides on the planet!

The twisties are there for sure (been there done that, but not on the bike), but the quality of the road may not be as good as you think ...

Quote Originally Posted by too much View Post
    The twisties are there for sure (been there done that, but not on the bike), but the quality of the road may not be as good as you think ...
    Can't be much worse than most roads in my fatherland. Besides, I wouldn't go there to drag my knees through hairpins but rather to enjoy the view and smell the Transilvanian roses . Thanks for the heads up though, it's appreciated. Top Gear guys must have cherry picked the sections they were filming because the pavement looked fine to me. As for guardrails and other security features, I don't expect them on a road like that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Can't be much worse than most roads in my fatherland. Besides, I wouldn't go there to drag my knees through hairpins but rather to enjoy the view and smell the Transilvanian roses . Thanks for the heads up though, it's appreciated. Top Gear guys must have cherry picked the sections they were filming because the pavement looked fine to me. As for guardrails and other security features, I don't expect them on a road like that anyway.
    Actually the pavement quality is as the video shows it, I don't think they picked a lot. It is a bit rough, not very even, except for areas where there may be very rough patches because of frost or terrain movements. It is only accessible from end of May to end of September, and there may be ice in some areas on the top even in August. The views get actually even better than what the top gear guys managed to pick.

^ All good info, thanks. I don't plan of ever going to that part of the world during winter months - spent first 36 winters of my life in the neighborhood and don't want one more . Now, if I can only find a good motorcycle to rent in Belgrade...

http://www.motorcycle-tours.travel/

I'm so thinking of going

Just found this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFfR6...p_fresh+div-HM

Looks like there is some "road hazard"
    Last edited by adv_round; 11-22-2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: found youtube link