SquidSkinz - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SquidSkinz

Re: SquidSkinz

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    The tires are not free, you are wrong.

The stickers are so they are eligibile for tire contingency. If you place well, 5th or better, you are eligibile for $$ that can be used towards buying more tires (so long as you have the tire stickers on your bike) I know of a few riders who do have tire sponsorships, not just contingency, and they do get a discount on tires but they are far from free.

If i'm selling track or race worthy scrubs in really good shape i'd want $150 for them. If i was selling scrubs that were garbage with no track life left in them i'd sell them for $50-$60 a set.
    I think thats just the point ,track or race worthy scrubs for $150 nothing wrong with that, but to johnny P's point selling burnt up crappy scrubs with groves cut in them to squids for street use, something really wrong with that...

I met james from squid skins a few years ago. He really stands behind his products. The race skins are excellent. I saw his street bike(all carbon fiber 1000rr) really sharp...and he does repairs for cheap. I think it's the best value for the money.

Ive bought and painted James stuff many times and I will deal with him again. His stuff is not perfect and needs to be prepped , touched up, and primed before a really nice paintjob can be appied, but it is very good stuff for the money.
    Looking over and prepping sircastics new skins I was extremely impressed with the quality, ...James has very quick turn-around too.
    As far as him being "different", dealing with the public will do that to you. Fast racer guys are known to not be wired quite right to begin with,,lol,
    If You want incredibly beautiful trackskins that come prepped and primed youll have to pay premium cash and get Sharkskinz, often $1200+.After all, bike bodywork is the companys side business they do for fun, theyre main production is building million dollar cigar boats in Florida.
    When laying down your cash for track bodywork just remember what you want it for, stuff happens and it all goes in the trash sooner or later if your out there to learning how to ride better. .
    CyclePaintWorX - Booked solid until winter 2012.
    cyclepaintworx@gmail.com
    Ultimate Quality Refinishing.
    519-503-8933

The tires are not free, you are wrong.

The stickers are so they are eligibile for tire contingency. If you place well, 5th or better, you are eligibile for $$ that can be used towards buying more tires (so long as you have the tire stickers on your bike) .
    tell that to scott rupert
    he won every pro race at soar. and pirrelli still has not payed a $ to him
    you know what his tire bill was at mosport? 3600.00
    i do a 16 lap race and my tires never turn blue. why?
    cause with in 15min my bike is in the trailer. so the sun never hits them.

/

No problem, i'm happy to learn people!

When i sell the scrubs that i've personally used, they're garbage and have no track life left in them. Like i said, i sell them cheap just to get rid of them. The price is also a supply and demand thing now, theres a lot more people doing track days then there were 5 years ago so there's a lot more people trying to sell take offs. Not so long ago tires would sell for $300 that now sell for half that. Thats just simple supply and demand stuff.

I also help some of my friends sell the tires they're done with. (They're faster than me and they dont have time to deal with try to sell take offs so i do it for them). Those tires usually have 30 laps or less on them are in excellent condition for riders just doing trackdays or novice racing. Those tires i sell for $150ish.

I use take offs for track days where i'm working on other things, not just lap times. Save the really fresh tires for race practice and qualifying, racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by twinn View Post
    WTF dude????

Its called economics- supply and demand

When I could get a brand new set of quality tires from dealers like riders choice or Pete's for $270-300 all in, why would anyone pay $300 for a set of scrubs??

Besides, the problem with guys selling scrubs is that they don;t want to split up the deal, you know how many times I did'nt buy them because guys would only sell it as a set, I only need the rear not the front.

More people selling scrubs, less demand for them,( out of everyone I ride with, im the only one that would ride with scrubs) price wars between tire dealers is the reason you don;t have a market for scrubs.

I don't care if the seller got them for free or paid full retail for them. As a buyer, I have no idea how many heat cycles they have been through, im willing to spend $50-100, no more. that;s what there worth to me. I have never had a problem buying them for that price.

Look at the classifieds here on gtam, people start off asking $150-$120-$100- make an offer. Suprised, with more people doing track days, it should easier for guys like you who are pro's to sell their scrubs to other people just getting into it.
    270-300 wtf dude were are you buying your tires?
    i ran dunlops 211 rear 209 front and it was 470 after tax
    michlin slick were 396 pair before tax.
    i would love to get 270 a set for the good stuff. let me know i will buy 10 set.
    905-791-7721 james
    if not i call b/s

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighter View Post
    i would love to get 270 a set for the good stuff. let me know i will buy 10 set.
    905-791-7721 james
    if not i call b/s
    2 yrs ago 1 Yamaha Canadian pro rider used 42,500 bucks worth a tires in a season....
    Current full race tires are not 300 bucks.. LOL, thats funny.,
    CyclePaintWorX - Booked solid until winter 2012.
    cyclepaintworx@gmail.com
    Ultimate Quality Refinishing.
    519-503-8933

905-791-7721 james
    if not i call b/s
    IIRC I was paying over $400 + tax a set for Pirelli's or Bridgstones at the track this year. Tires are without a doubt the most expensive part of racing (with the exception of crashing). Running scrubs on track days helps with the annual tire budget.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

tell that to scott rupert
    he won every pro race at soar. and pirrelli still has not payed a $ to him
    you know what his tire bill was at mosport? 3600.00
    i do a 16 lap race and my tires never turn blue. why?
    cause with in 15min my bike is in the trailer. so the sun never hits them.

/
    I don't understand this post. Why should i tell that to Scott Rupert? It's not my or his fault that Pirelli sucks (and has a history of sucking) at paying out contingency.

I also don't care about how blue your tires are.

Scott did not beat Jodi Christie at the final SOAR round this year. He did not win every Pro race.

905-791-7721 james
    if not i call b/s
    I sold most of my take off for $80 at the track. I only had to put a sign out once. But my tires are on warmer, the track or in the trialer also. I do put 125-140 laps on them and they still have 2-3000 km of street riding left on them for the average guy. Could be used for a new trackday rider also. I have buddy's that use 2 sets a year for street.

Scott did win almost all the races but did not have enough friends to fill the grids as required by Pirelli Contingency. I only got paid for about 1/3 of my race results due to less than 8 riders starting the races. Maybe this will change for 2010 at SOAR. Come out to play!

Glad my loyalty to Pirelli paid off. My tire budget was cheap. I still have a set coming to me
    Pro # 175

Thanks to my Sponsors: Racer5, SpeedWorx, SpeedGear, Kawasaki Canada,
    Uber-Racing, Pirelli/ Orion Motorsports, Kahuna Powersports, Armour Bodies, WoodCraft, MotoVan, Vortex, TechSpec, Sidi & PitBull

Quote Originally Posted by TLDeano View Post
    2 yrs ago 1 Yamaha Canadian pro rider used 42,500 bucks worth a tires in a season....
    Current full race tires are not 300 bucks.. LOL, thats funny.,

You missed the point. What I said was why would I pay $150-200 for scrubs when I could get a set of good street tires from Pete's or Rider's choice for $300.

I am talking about using scrubs on the street.

The reason there is no market for scrubs on the street is simple, one set of Brand new tires runs me $300, say $350 installed, that will last me 8-10K max.

now, I could buy one set of scrubs and one rear (3 tires) for say $160. Now I have to get them installed, with shops charging $50-75 to do installs, I will pay $160 for the tires, plus another $150 to have them installed(remeber 3 tires)- total of $310.

Scrubs cost me $160 ($100 for a set and $60 for an additional rear) thats cheap according too you guys, with install $310, they will last me 8-10K if I am lucky.

Brand new tires cost me $350 installed, im only saving $40 bucks and for that I have to get tires installed twice, and that is with me buying scrubs at rock bottom $100. (most of you guys think $150 is fair).

I take my tires to Rosey toes to get them installed so for me its cheaper, but look at the average rider.

Thats why there is no market for scrubs on street bikes. And thats why I would never pay more then $80 for a set.

Not sure if we are still doing a review on SquidSkinz anymore... but If we are

I met up with James last night to see if he could fix a buddy of mines bodywork that was a bit out of my depth.
    Even though it wasn't his bodywork he was still willing to look at it and see if there was anything he could do with it. It was too far gone to save.

But I did talk to the guy for about an hour about racing, bodywork, etc.
    Very knowledgeble, friendly guy.

After meeting with him it comes down to this: You can spend three times as much on bodywork that might be technically better (sharkskinz) but you won't need it.. and when you crash with your expensive bodywork you won't be able to get it repaired as cheaply, professionally and quickly as James stuff.

He showed me some repairs he did with a two day turnaround time for like $10. If thesame parts were anything but SquidSkinz it would have cost hundereds of dollars on new pieces.

Kind of a nobrainer.. its track bodywrk ... you are going to crash in it... buy the stuff that will get fixed for $20 not the stuff that you will have to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by twinn View Post
    You missed the point. What I said was why would I pay $150-200 for scrubs when I could get a set of good street tires from Pete's or Rider's choice for $300.

I am talking about using scrubs on the street.

The reason there is no market for scrubs on the street is simple, one set of Brand new tires runs me $300, say $350 installed, that will last me 8-10K max.

now, I could buy one set of scrubs and one rear (3 tires) for say $160. Now I have to get them installed, with shops charging $50-75 to do installs, I will pay $160 for the tires, plus another $150 to have them installed(remeber 3 tires)- total of $310.

Scrubs cost me $160 ($100 for a set and $60 for an additional rear) thats cheap according too you guys, with install $310, they will last me 8-10K if I am lucky.

Brand new tires cost me $350 installed, im only saving $40 bucks and for that I have to get tires installed twice, and that is with me buying scrubs at rock bottom $100. (most of you guys think $150 is fair).

I take my tires to Rosey toes to get them installed so for me its cheaper, but look at the average rider.

Thats why there is no market for scrubs on street bikes. And thats why I would never pay more then $80 for a set.
    dont know were your buying your scrubs. but i sell mine for 125.00 pair installed. and have been for a long time.

just to let everyone know my company name is squidskins not squidskin"Z"
    this should help you when looking for my site