Site Issues

Thread: Site Issues

Site Issues

Good morning all

Apologies for the site issues. It seems there was an attack on the server. The Server Folk are working on it and tracing it. There may be some ups and downs for a couple of days. Hopefully minimal downs.

Thanks for your patience!

Cheers

Paul
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

Re: Site Issues

Castrate the mangy curs with a dull and rusty spoon.
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

We must destroy the rebellion...

I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

What's the size of GTAM database if it's not a secret? Maybe we can mirror/move it elsewhere. Reliable hosting is cheap these days. I'm paying $5US/month for 150GB and unlimited traffic. Tons of goodies included too.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    What's the size of GTAM database if it's not a secret? Maybe we can mirror/move it elsewhere. Reliable hosting is cheap these days. I'm paying $5US/month for 150GB and unlimited traffic. Tons of goodies included too.
    I don't think the issue is bandwidth or db size related but rather that the back-end db is MySQL and all providers limit how many concurrent db connections a single user may have or GTAM is hitting the max connections per hour count. One possible fix is having a connection pool or even just dispersing the load on certain sections of the forum to use different db users or different db's or better yet just get there own server and have control of how many connections are allowed.

But in this cause I don't think the db has anything to do with this, think the box the site is being hosted on is likely just being dos attacked.
    SOAR Novice #113

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    But in this cause I don't think the db has anything to do with this, think the box the site is being hosted on is likely just being dos attacked.
    I asked about DB size and threw bandwidth in the equation because I'm just curious and can't gauge if the host I'm using (1and1.com) would be the right one for GTAM. I'm pretty sure it would be more reliable and less prone to DOS attacks though. Can't speak for MYSQL or other database details - not my area of expertise.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

I asked about DB size and threw bandwidth in the equation because I'm just curious and can't gauge if the host I'm using (1and1.com) would be the right one for GTAM. I'm pretty sure it would be more reliable and less prone to DOS attacks though. Can't speak for MYSQL or other database details - not my area of expertise.
    1and1 puts the same limitations as all the other providers. One way GTAM could easily implement there own db is with a virtual private server, then they'd have full control and there not that expensive or complicated for Paul to manage.
    SOAR Novice #113

1and1 puts the same limitations as all the other providers. One way GTAM could easily implement there own db is with a virtual private server, then they'd have full control and there not that expensive or complicated for Paul to manage.
    A VPS couldn't reliably handle GTAM, I tried it on a similar sized forum. Endless issues. It needs a dedicated machine.
    x

1and1 puts the same limitations as all the other providers.
    I can only wonder how much bigger boards than GTAM are running then. There must be a better solution out there.

I can only wonder how much bigger boards than GTAM are running then. There must be a better solution out there.
    Here it is!

Paul if your paying attention to this discussion here is how you can upgrade the amount of concurrent connections in vBulletin, this will essentially allow you to have unlimited connections as most providers put a limit on how many connections per user and not on how many connections to the db. So long as you can create multiple users within that db, which I'm sure you can, then this should be all GTAM needs.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...=1#post1160827

The spreading of data over multiple db's is not supported so this is an excellent option.
    SOAR Novice #113

Thanks guys. I'm not sure that database connections are still an issue. (Since we moved to the new server). But thanks for that thread Dave...I'll try that when it/if it does become an issue again. The recent issues were/are a DDOS attack. Things seem more stable now...Keep reporting anytime it goes down though.

Thanks
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

down for the last 10-15 minutes????

Quote Originally Posted by AC View Post
    down for the last 10-15 minutes????
    Yea...I've emailed support to see what's up. It seems the server is shutting down and restarting itself.. (Down for 10 mins at a time)

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

I think we should start to post when it IS working. would be far less work..lol

It's working.

down again for the last 10 minutes???

up and down today... trust me... we're just as frustrated about the situation as everyone else...
    Last edited by cutekill; 11-19-2009 at 01:59 PM.

Sponsor Me Today ................................ Sponsor the GTAM Ride Team

2011 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $29,335.50 
    2010 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $37,836.14 
    2009 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $39,347.14 
    2008 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $37,868.15 
    2007 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $18,540.28 
    2004 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $13,408.69

Quote Originally Posted by cutekill View Post
    up and down today... trust me... we're just as frustrated about the situation as everyone else...
    Anything we can do to help?

We're getting there...

http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?i...8273688&ref=nf

Paul RogersOh..I guess I should update regarding the server...hehehe! There was a DOS attack earlier this week....that seems to be under control but has created some other issues. We're getting it narrowed down and hopfully we'll be up and okay.

If you do notice the site down - or any errors...please post here so we can get this taken care of once and for all.

Thanks

Paul

Sponsor Me Today ................................ Sponsor the GTAM Ride Team

2011 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $29,335.50 
    2010 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $37,836.14 
    2009 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $39,347.14 
    2008 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $37,868.15 
    2007 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $18,540.28 
    2004 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $13,408.69

more server busy messages alll night long
    Last edited by CruisnGrrl; 11-20-2009 at 08:41 AM.
    x