Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all) - Page 49

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast

Thread: Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Re: Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

hello.. new to the forum.

i have read been reading as much as i can, both here and other sites about how to import my bike back to cdn...
    i bought a bmw G650X Challenge back end of dec. and its been in storage waiting for warmer temps to drive it back to AB.

from post #908:
    - Bill of sale (try may ask for it)
    have
    - Certificate of title
    have
    - Lien release letter from bank
    have
    - Confirmation of VIN emailed to buffalovinnyoffice
    not sure what this is?
    - receipt of withdrawal from bank (they asked me for this - guess it's to confirm the real pricing of bike so you don't lie? - If applicable)
    could show my bank book, but the paid price shouldnt raise any eyebrows
    - Recall clearance letter
    this is my real concern, not sure what this is?
    - RIV fee
    have
    - 5% GST
    have

i do have a print out from the BMW dealer where my bike is stored it says on the top (printed side ways A4):
    Warranty Vehicle Inquiry
    THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT TO BE USED OR RELIED UPON FOR IMPORT OR EXPORT PURPOSES
    AND IS NOT TO BE DISTRIBUTED OR SHARED WITH THIRD PARTIES
    *EXCEPT FOR SPECIFIC INFORMATION THAT MAY BE REQUIRED BY LAW
    © 2011 BMW of North America

it is dated, has my VIN number on it and all Vehicle Data, listed all the recalls are done and "NO OPEN CAMPAIGNS"

if this isnt good enough, what exactly do i need?

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Sol View Post
    hello.. new to the forum.

i have read been reading as much as i can, both here and other sites about how to import my bike back to cdn...
    i bought a bmw G650X Challenge back end of dec. and its been in storage waiting for warmer temps to drive it back to AB.

from post #908:
    - Bill of sale (try may ask for it)
    have
    - Certificate of title
    have
    - Lien release letter from bank
    have
    - Confirmation of VIN emailed to buffalovinnyoffice
    not sure what this is?
    - receipt of withdrawal from bank (they asked me for this - guess it's to confirm the real pricing of bike so you don't lie? - If applicable)
    could show my bank book, but the paid price shouldnt raise any eyebrows
    this is my real concern, not sure what this is?
    - RIV fee
    have
    - 5% GST
    have

i do have a print out from the BMW dealer where my bike is stored it says on the top (printed side ways A4):
    Warranty Vehicle Inquiry
    THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT TO BE USED OR RELIED UPON FOR IMPORT OR EXPORT PURPOSES
    AND IS NOT TO BE DISTRIBUTED OR SHARED WITH THIRD PARTIES
    *EXCEPT FOR SPECIFIC INFORMATION THAT MAY BE REQUIRED BY LAW
    © 2011 BMW of North America

it is dated, has my VIN number on it and all Vehicle Data, listed all the recalls are done and "NO OPEN CAMPAIGNS"

if this isnt good enough, what exactly do i need?

thank you
    I am not exactly sure about BMW (you might ask scottyh just above your post since he just imported a BMW), but usually you have to call the manufacturer and request a letter from them that will state that there are no recalls on your motorcycle.

Regarding confirmation of VIN - not sure about that either. Depending on the location where you will be crossing the border, you have to either e-mail, fax or FedEx the ownership paperwork and bill of sale to that location (US Customs side) 48 hours before you will be crossing the border. For some locations, like Queenston-Lewiston bridge in Ontario, you just e-mail them with make/model/year/VIN number, but other locations only accept *original* papers via courier.

Because my bike was older than 15 years (it is vintage - not old) I did not need a recall letter. From my understanding this can be provided from any authorized BMW dealer and you will need it if the bike is less than 15 years old. It's pretty much a guarentee it will cost a few hundred bucks (and since you didn't buy your bike from them - expect to pay it). You'll also be paying 6.1% duty plus gst/pst if applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyh View Post
    Because my bike was older than 15 years (it is vintage - not old) I did not need a recall letter. From my understanding this can be provided from any authorized BMW dealer and you will need it if the bike is less than 15 years old. It's pretty much a guarentee it will cost a few hundred bucks (and since you didn't buy your bike from them - expect to pay it). You'll also be paying 6.1% duty plus gst/pst if applicable.
    Did some research. Posts 531 and 560 in this thread. Some people had to pay duty on their bikes - if those are made outside NAFTA, so be prepared if you get asked to pay extra 6.5%. Post 549 claims that there are no duties on the bikes. I bought my Japanese-built Honda in the States and no one mentioned duties.

Post 560 - some crossings will accept a recall letter from BMW USA (Post 561), but BMW Canada charges $500+tax?! Holy moly.

Post 570 also has some great details on importing BMW from USA to Canada.

i asked about riding over before and you guys said that i would have to bring it back over to declare it which i understand. But its my cousins bike im buying and if he leaves his plates on it and its insured, cant i ride it over and either
    a) do the paperwork as i ride it over and then when thats all done ride it home or
    b) ride it across to import it like a, but then if they dont let me ride it after all thats done, get someone to meet me there and load the bike up from there?
    Caught you looking!! Signature advertising works, inquire if you you would like to rent this space.

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

Currently riding my 2003 R1

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxguy View Post
    i asked about riding over before and you guys said that i would have to bring it back over to declare it which i understand. But its my cousins bike im buying and if he leaves his plates on it and its insured, cant i ride it over and either
    a) do the paperwork as i ride it over and then when thats all done ride it home or
    b) ride it across to import it like a, but then if they dont let me ride it after all thats done, get someone to meet me there and load the bike up from there?
    You cannot do the paperwork as you're "just riding over" as US customs require the paperwork to be submitted 48 hours in advance. Also, how are you going to ride over on your buddy's bike? How are you going to get insurance? Is he giving you his ownership too? You can always try it and let us know how it went, so we'll have an example on what to do in such case.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    You cannot do the paperwork as you're "just riding over" as US customs require the paperwork to be submitted 48 hours in advance. Also, how are you going to ride over on your buddy's bike? How are you going to get insurance? Is he giving you his ownership too? You can always try it and let us know how it went, so we'll have an example on what to do in such case.
    Sorry I didnt mean it like that, liek have all the paperwork ready.. I already have the recall letter and have emailed the border. Im saying having the paperwork ready as i ride it over. And yes he will give me the ownership.. you need that either way, riding or not. As for insurance, I already have an activ policy bu sold my bike so I can get SF to transfer it to this bike for the time being.
    Caught you looking!! Signature advertising works, inquire if you you would like to rent this space.

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

Sorry I didnt mean it like that, liek have all the paperwork ready.. I already have the recall letter and have emailed the border. Im saying having the paperwork ready as i ride it over. And yes he will give me the ownership.. you need that either way, riding or not. As for insurance, I already have an activ policy bu sold my bike so I can get SF to transfer it to this bike for the time being.
    You're seriously doing something different, that's why I'd be interested in the outcome. Many people commented before that you cannot ride the bike over, like many people do with their new cars, but your bike would have full registration on it, but to a different person... Too many variables.

I was told 72 hours, could depend on the crossing, I crossed at port huron

don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

here is my story, but of a long read, I tried to be detailed:

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80616
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by smergy View Post
    here is my story, but of a long read, I tried to be detailed:

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80616
    I read your story and although very detailed it seems like that border requires more info , plus seems like you did some steps that werent neccesarily.
    As far as I know you dont have to fax the title over ahead of time to the border... You just email them with the Vin and description and then they let you know when you can import, then its a 72 hour wait after that email response.
    When you cross all you need to show is the signed title( also showing no liens), the bill of sale and pretty much thats it. You pay your RIV fee there, that gets sent to RIV and then after you cross you can send them the recall letter.
    Pretty much thats is from what I understood. Maybe cuz you did it in 2010 and things have changed.

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

I read your story and although very detailed it seems like that border requires more info , plus seems like you did some steps that werent neccesarily.
    As far as I know you dont have to fax the title over ahead of time to the border... You just email them with the Vin and description and then they let you know when you can import, then its a 72 hour wait after that email response.
    When you cross all you need to show is the signed title( also showing no liens), the bill of sale and pretty much thats it. You pay your RIV fee there, that gets sent to RIV and then after you cross you can send them the recall letter.
    Pretty much thats is from what I understood. Maybe cuz you did it in 2010 and things have changed.
    It all depends on the crossing. On some crossings you have to fax the paperwork 72 hours in advance, on some you have to courier ORIGINAL paperwork (bill of sale + ownership), some will allow the e-mail (i.e. Queenston-Lewiston).

I was wondering about being able to ride a bike across while at the same time importing it, nobody here was able to answer it for sure, so I emailed the buffalovinny( lewiston border) and asked them. This is the response i got. Any idea what exactly he means?

From CBPO RHODES

Vehicles for export may not be brought to Canada or be in Canada prior to being formally exported by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Failure to comply with the requirements set forth in 19 CFR 192.2 may result in a penalty action.

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

I was wondering about being able to ride a bike across while at the same time importing it, nobody here was able to answer it for sure, so I emailed the buffalovinny( lewiston border) and asked them. This is the response i got. Any idea what exactly he means?

From CBPO RHODES

Vehicles for export may not be brought to Canada or be in Canada prior to being formally exported by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Failure to comply with the requirements set forth in 19 CFR 192.2 may result in a penalty action.
    It really doesn't answer your question whether you can ride the bike over. All they are saying is that you should complete the export paperwork on the US side prior to crossing the border into Canada.

It really doesn't answer your question whether you can ride the bike over. All they are saying is that you should complete the export paperwork on the US side prior to crossing the border into Canada.
    Ya thats what I thought, I dont wanna respond and annoy them and then they flag me at the border, lol. I could take it as long as i have my paper work in order it doesnt matter if i ride or not

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

one more thing, for the RIV fee, can I pay cash for that at the border or does it have to be cc?

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

A number of errors in this post, plus some clarification. First off you need to submit to USCBP the bill of sale, the title and proof of registration. They have to stamp it for export or it cannot be imported on the Canadian side.

Second you do not pay your RIV fee at the border, you pay it online after CBP in Canada has cleared the bike for entry. At Canada Customs you pay the Federal HST portion of the tax, unless it is exempt (returning resident etc.)

Once you go through this, you take the case number on the Form 1 given to you and go the RIV site, pay the fee and get a Form 2. That is the inspection fee. Once the Form 2 is done, you submit your recall information to RIV via email or fax.

If you have bought the bike from someone else, you can go to most state DMV's and obtain a temporary tag to ride it back to Canada. This is legal and valid providing you have insurance for the bike. TD Meloche Monnex insured my California plated bike while it was in process of getting transferred, they just needed a copy of the CA registration and title.

Hope this clarifies things. Oh yeah, I am 10 days out from importing my bike - so simple even a kid could do it

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    Second you do not pay your RIV fee at the border, you pay it online after CBP in Canada has cleared the bike for entry. At Canada Customs you pay the Federal HST portion of the tax, unless it is exempt (returning resident etc.)

so simple even a kid could do it
    I paid RIV fee right at the border. The girl went on RIV site and put in my info, done!

But I have to agree about how simple it was. And I got a vacation out of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by l84toff View Post
    I paid RIV fee right at the border. The girl went on RIV site and put in my info, done!

But I have to agree about how simple it was. And I got a vacation out of the deal.
    Ya I have read that numerous times, that you can just pay RIV fee right at the border and they stamp your form right there and you submit it. Easy peeesy!! i think lewiston is more generous in this regard , but like sarnia is a lil bit more of a pain in the butt!

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    A number of errors in this post, plus some clarification. First off you need to submit to USCBP the bill of sale, the title and proof of registration. They have to stamp it for export or it cannot be imported on the Canadian side.

Once you go through this, you take the case number on the Form 1 given to you and go the RIV site, pay the fee and get a Form 2. That is the inspection fee. Once the Form 2 is done, you submit your recall information to RIV via email or fax.

If you have bought the bike from someone else, you can go to most state DMV's and obtain a temporary tag to ride it back to Canada. This is legal and valid providing you have insurance for the bike. TD Meloche Monnex insured my California plated bike while it was in process of getting transferred, they just needed a copy of the CA registration and title.

Hope this clarifies things. Oh yeah, I am 10 days out from importing my bike - so simple even a kid could do it
    Yes you submit the bill of sale, and registration upon crossing. I am pretty sure the lewiston bridge you do not have to send anything like that ahead of time. You just have to have that with you ahead of time. You send them the email and then bring everything with you 72 hours after email confirmation.

RIV CAN be paid at the border.

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!