Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all) - Page 48

Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast

Thread: Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Re: Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Quote Originally Posted by l84toff View Post
    From what I've been able to ascertain this is not easily done in Mass. I was not able to find a definitive answer from their DMV but perhaps a phone call to both the DMV and the dealer would help. Every state is different with this sort of thing and even then one can often find clever solutions to circumvent their procedures legally (i.e. get lucky). Everything I've read about buying in FL is you have to pay taxes when getting a temp permit. When I arrived to get my permit, they suggested I get a permit in the sellers name costing me only $12 I think, rather than several hundred for tax.

I'd even call the DMV a couple of different times to make sure you get the same answer. In reading some LEO forums, it seems difficult for out of state buyers to register/get temp permit in Mass.

All of this has to be factored into the financial equation, meaning some states are easier to buy from, register, get temp plates, not pay tax etc. Do your homework ahead of time and then go searching for your vehicle in the right place. Buying new makes this almost easy. If you found the perfect used vehicle it can be harder as you may not be able to find the same thing somewhere else.

Enough rambling though. I know it's not a clear cut answer but like I said; call the dealer and DMV and see what they say. There may be a simple solution or you may have to look in another state.

thanks for the info,I called the dealer in MA and they said I can purchase the car no problem but MA state does not issue temporary permits or plates,the only way to bring the car over would be on a trailer....and that would cost around $2000,....

That doesn,t make sense.. why not rent a U haul car trailer when you are down in Mass and haul it back up?
    It will only cost you one way. http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=AT

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    That doesn,t make sense.. why not rent a U haul car trailer when you are down in Mass and haul it back up?
    It will only cost you one way. http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=AT
    You might try that, but I doubt U-Haul will let you rent a trailer in one country and leave it in another. Also, one-way rates are generally much higher than when you return the rental at the same place, at least that applies to U-Haul trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by arek1200r View Post
    I have aquestion that I cant find the answer to anywhere.I want to purchase a car in Massachusetts from a dealer and drive it back to Canada (export it),Do I have to pay Mass. sales tax on a vechicle or do I pay the tax in Canada when registering?
    Also,can I get the temporary plates /permit in Mass. to drive the car back to Canada...?How does it work...?
    Thank you for any info .....
    Is there a specific reason why you want to buy a car in Massachusetts?? Why not New Hampshire, which does not have the stupid laws like that?

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Is there a specific reason why you want to buy a car in Massachusetts?? Why not New Hampshire, which does not have the stupid laws like that?
    No,no reason...I just found the car that I liked there...I dont care where I buy it from ,as long as I dont have to pay tax when getting a temp plates/permit so I can drive it back to Canada...
    I will check dealers in New Hampshire...
    Thanks!

No,no reason...I just found the car that I liked there...I dont care where I buy it from ,as long as I dont have to pay tax when getting a temp plates/permit so I can drive it back to Canada...
    I will check dealers in New Hampshire...
    Thanks!

If you found a car you like then buy it and trailer it back. Renting a uhaul trailer is $50 /day. so even if you use 3 days its $150 round trip? Do you have a truck to tow with or do you have to have it shipped? I've had cars shipped from Florida to Canada for $1100 less than 2 years ago why would it cost $2000? Some states do have different laws as mentioned. In a number of states if you drive the car away you pay tax. shipped out of state no problems. I have brought 5 corvettes to Toronto. 4 were trailered, 1 I drove back with Ontario plates on it. ( any vehicle you buy is automatically insured for 14 days, check with your insurance broker).

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike View Post
    If you found a car you like then buy it and trailer it back. Renting a uhaul trailer is $50 /day. so even if you use 3 days its $150 round trip? Do you have a truck to tow with or do you have to have it shipped? I've had cars shipped from Florida to Canada for $1100 less than 2 years ago why would it cost $2000? Some states do have different laws as mentioned. In a number of states if you drive the car away you pay tax. shipped out of state no problems. I have brought 5 corvettes to Toronto. 4 were trailered, 1 I drove back with Ontario plates on it. ( any vehicle you buy is automatically insured for 14 days, check with your insurance broker).
    Thanks a lot for the info! (I called one shipping company and $2000 was the estimate for shipping from MA...seems a lot...!!!????)
    Last edited by arek1200r; 02-16-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks a lot for the info! (I called one shipping company and $2000 was the estimate for shipping from MA...seems a lot...!!!????)
    Is it for shipping and importing? You'd save about 1/2 the shipping cost if you'll ship the car to Buffalo and then drive it back yourself. When I was moving to California, I drove my car to Detroit to the pick-up location for the transportation company, saved several hundred dollars this way (took a bus back to Toronto).

I just spoke to 2 dealers in the US regarding importing a Hyundai into Canada. Apparently they do not allow that. Why do they suck so bad??
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I just spoke to 2 dealers in the US regarding importing a Hyundai into Canada. Apparently they do not allow that. Why do they suck so bad??
    Which state? Don't know about Hyundai, but a lot of Subaru, Lexus, etc. are being imported from NH (no-tax state).

Which state? Don't know about Hyundai, but a lot of Subaru, Lexus, etc. are being imported from NH (no-tax state).
    From Buffalo. I guess I should try NH
    Resident Loudmouth

this may seem like a stupid question, but when you pay the taxes at the border, you dont have to pay again at the ministry right?
    Caught you looking!! Signature advertising works, inquire if you you would like to rent this space.

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

Currently riding my 2003 R1

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxguy View Post
    this may seem like a stupid question, but when you pay the taxes at the border, you dont have to pay again at the ministry right?
    GST is paid at the border when you cross, PST is paid at the MTO when you register.

GST is paid at the border when you cross, PST is paid at the MTO when you register.
    Ahhh ok, i just thought cuz of hst its all one tax now anyways.
    Caught you looking!! Signature advertising works, inquire if you you would like to rent this space.

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

Not a stupid question. I'm sure someone else will ask as well.

GST is paid at borders and the balance (PST) is paid at MTO

Edit: BAH! ViperZ is too fast
    My List of Bikes
    2008 Yamaha R6 - Raven
    Ohlins Steering Damper | FXR Dual Halo Projectors | Pazzo Adjustable Levers | Pitbull Spools | Shogun Frame Sliders | Double Bubble Windscreen
    Passenger Peg LED | Hotbodies Undertail - Smoke| Hotbodies Racing Flush Mount LED Front Turn Signals | LED Third Eye | Fender Eliminator

Quote Originally Posted by robertojiang View Post
    Not a stupid question. I'm sure someone else will ask as well.

GST is paid at borders and the balance (PST) is paid at MTO

Edit: BAH! ViperZ is too fast
    Thats ok, just gives me double confirmation on this, in case Viper was just a trolling liar! lol

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

Quick question and I apologize if its been answered already. If my cousin in the states sells me his bike, but has his plate on it still, can I ride it back and then do the paperwork stuff after?

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxguy View Post
    Quick question and I apologize if its been answered already. If my cousin in the states sells me his bike, but has his plate on it still, can I ride it back and then do the paperwork stuff after?
    You'll have to bring the bike back to the border for inspection, at least on the US side, to get the proper border crossing paperwork.

You'll have to do the paperwork at the time you cross. I don't believe they will let you in without getting the paperwork part done and without paying tax; to do both of these, you will need to get the proper paperwork on the US side.

This was discussed some time back on this thread if you want to search for it.

I thought I would just offer my experience.
    First, I'd like to thank everyone on the thread. Importing my bike was easy because of the information from here.

I found a 1988 bmw k75 selling in Upper New York state. I contacted the seller, had a long discussion with them, got the VIN number, verified the registration history of the bike (through Autocheck). I decided to move forward on the purchase. I fedex'd a bill of sale and a security deposit to the owner (as a mail order). The owner signed the bill of sale and mailed it back with the original title for the bike. I received the bill of sale and title, photocopied them, and sent the originals to Alexandria Bay. At Alexandria Bay they would not accept photocopies, faxes, or emails. I fedex'd the originals to Alexandria Bay U.S. Customs. After delivery of documents in Alexandria Bay, I verified they were received, waited the appropriate 72 hours and went to take a look at the bike. I took the bike for a test drive, paid the remainder to the owner, and put the bike in the back my dad's truck. I stopped at U.S. customs, they verified the bike, got the title stamped. On to the Canadian customs border, paid the GST, was issued two forms. One was essentially a receipt showing that I paid GST and another was for the registration in Ontario. I thought I would have had to pay duty of 6.1% since the bike was German, but I didn't. I then registered the bike as unfit in Ontario, paying only the PST. Got the safety a couple months later, got insurance, and then registered the bike as fit and got it plated. Been riding it since .