Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all) - Page 40

Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Re: Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

rent a cargo van from enerprise, or something. Cant be that expensive.
    enterprise gives u the first 200 k for free.
    Last edited by tribal250; 04-19-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Since Friday is a holiday, this will be a two day rental and not even including fuel/insurance (trucks/vans are considered commercial and not covered by credit card car rental insurance) the cargo van would be around $292. I'm also not sure if the bike (length: 91.3", height: 53.1", width: 37.2") will even fit in the cargo vans. I've been trying to check the motorcycle dimensions against the cargo vans but can't confirm.

I can bring this in for you, clear customs and everything. PM me if interested.

Anyone know of a good Suzuki dealer in buffalo area? I'm looking at buying an SV650s from the US which will save me about 2500-3000 !!!

Has anyone ever tried coming back through the ogdensburg bridge (between Kingston/Ottawa)?

Even more issues. I've brought the bike back and have made appointment to BMW Toronto next Friday to do an inspection and get the Recall Clearance letter for Form 2. I tried getting getting a temporary/special permit from MTO - Service Ontario today and they said I needed two stamps on my Form 1. Essentially, I can't get a temp permit to ride it to BMW/Canadian Tire!

I can either rent a truck twice and tow it to BMW and then Canadian Tire OR I could just slap on my old plates and take my chances. Decisions ...

Trying to Sum this all up...

Looking at a bike for $5000 US

assuming .9622 exchange = $4812 CDN

Fees:
    RIV - $195+HST = $220.35
    Border - $5000 x .9622 and 5% of that =$240.55

Inspection at Canadian tire - Included in RIV fee
    Safety -
    MTO - Licence and plating - $5000 x currency exchange and 8% of that = $384.88
    $20 - for plate
    $42 - for sticker
    all said and done
    4812+220.35+240.55+384.88+20+42 = $5720.00 + cost of safety

basically all that is extra when bringing a bike across the border is the RIV fee, cause we have to pay HST anyways?

also need a safety, plate, sticker regardless...

Am i correct with this?

Yes correct, the RIV is the only thing you have to pay that is extra.

Regarding importing BMW motorcycles: The bike does not have to go to the dealer for the $500.00 recall letter. It only has to go to the dealer if a recall needs to be done. BMW is slow providing the letters this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwr1200rt View Post
    Regarding importing BMW motorcycles: The bike does not have to go to the dealer for the $500.00 recall letter. It only has to go to the dealer if a recall needs to be done. BMW is slow providing the letters this spring.
    But you do still have to get the recall letter from BMW Canada, correct?

No, If BMW is making you pay $500 for a recall letter then you are getting royally screwed.
    I am not sure about BMW but they should have a website with a recall checker.
    You should be able to simply type in your VIN # and it should come up saying if there are any recalls on that VIN#
    You would need to go to the USA BMW site if you are buying from the US.
    Just print it out and fax it or go to the RIV office with all your paperwork and they will accept it.
    Thats what they did with my Triumph.
    Heres an example of Triumphs recall checker.
    http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/Recall_...N_Enquiry.aspx

Lots of good feedback on queenston-lewiston....Has anyone ever imported through the border near Kingston, ON?

OK I read the first 200 posts and didn't see this coming up.

I'm talking to a US dealer and they are telling me they can't sell to me if I don't have a US residence. Something about the bill of sale, warranty info, yadda yadda yadda. I checked with the manufacturer and they say the same thing. Then they said that if I bought from an individual I could register the warranty to my Canadian address no probloem, but a dealer can't do that!

Is this an obstacle anyone has encountered before? Is there a workaround solution?

All you need is a US mailing address.
    If you have a friend in the states you can use that.
    Or just do what I did and use CBI as a mailing address.
    http://www.cbiusa.com/
    Last edited by macrider; 06-03-2011 at 09:54 PM.

I'm pretty sure they would check it against some ID. Not that it makes sense to me, it just seems to be the way dealers operate. Unless someone here has had a different experience, that's my understanding.

The dealer I used also had my Canadian address, they only needed an american address to satisfy the manufacturer for warranty purposes and in case they need to mail any updates. on the bike.
    The dealer did not care where I lived as long as I had an american mailing address.
    Just letting you know my experience with importing a bike was well worth it (saved $6000) and a terrific learning experience.
    Just passing on what Ive learned.

Hrrrm OK. I don't really know anyone in the US that could help me like that, but if that's all the dealers need then at least it's something I can work with. Thanks.

Not every dealer is going to want to work with you. You may have to try several dealers before finding someone that is willing to sell to a CDN. I think this was mentioned in some of the earlier posts (probably somewhere between 201-790).

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    No, If BMW is making you pay $500 for a recall letter then you are getting royally screwed.
    I am not sure about BMW but they should have a website with a recall checker.
    You should be able to simply type in your VIN # and it should come up saying if there are any recalls on that VIN#
    You would need to go to the USA BMW site if you are buying from the US.
    Just print it out and fax it or go to the RIV office with all your paperwork and they will accept it.
    Thats what they did with my Triumph.
    Heres an example of Triumphs recall checker.
    http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/Recall_...N_Enquiry.aspx
    Agreed on the getting screwed part. When I bought my Honda I also did not need a recall letter. Not every manufacturer is like that however. As far as what I've read on here, BMW vehicles require a recall letter (unless of course you can provide a link to BMW's VIN/recall checker such as Honda and Triumph, I'll happily be wrong as my next steed is going to be a BMW).

Quote Originally Posted by l84toff View Post
    Not every dealer is going to want to work with you. You may have to try several dealers before finding someone that is willing to sell to a CDN. I think this was mentioned in some of the earlier posts (probably somewhere between 201-790).
    Hehehe thanks. I think that's pretty much it, these guys don't want to get involved.