Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all) - Page 12

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Re: Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

RE; MV Agusta. If it's not on the list you cannot bring it in, don't even try!

89CBR600

Re: Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

A friend of mine just bought a brand new M109R from the US. There was a little red tap to go through but by the time he was riding it down the street here he had saved several thousand dollars. And the only drawback, if he ever needs warranty work, he'll need to take it to a dealer in Bufffalo.

bucknekkid

Hello all,
    I am a US Citizen with the intention of importing a car into Canada for my fiance(Canadian Citizen) who lives in Brantford, ON...The car will not be sold to her but given as a gift...Other than the requiremets for exporting a vehicle from the States into Canada will this idea fly?...I currently have a vehicle in Canada registered, licensed and insured in my name, with my current US address that was issued a temporary Visa while I was employed in Canada and now needs to return to the States..My plans were to export my vehicle to Canada, leaving the car as a gift to my fiance, and drive the vehicle currently registered in Canada back to the States...Does anyone see potential problems with this plan?
    Thanks for any help in this matter!!...

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

2 steps 1. import car in your name 2. gift it you should be ok you/she may have to pay the tax on the value of the car. I know you can have a car transfered 2x with in the family for no taxes look in to it.
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

bucknekkid

Quote Originally Posted by lil red bird View Post
    2 steps 1. import car in your name 2. gift it you should be ok you/she may have to pay the tax on the value of the car. I know you can have a car transfered 2x with in the family for no taxes look in to it.
    Thanks for that bit of information...!!!

I am in the process of importing a brand new car and it appears from your experience that new bikes are a bit different...do you not need a stamp from US customs on the cert of origin in order to get the form completed by Canada Customs?

You do not need a safety on a brand new vehicle...check MTO website...many canadian tire stores and MTO offices are insistent that you need safety as well as emissions on a new car, but I have a printout from the MTO website stating that you do not..see the section under "vehicles registered out of province"

I hope to import a new Kawasaki this winter..thanks for the info
    Past bikes..(I am getting old) 05 FJR1300, 02 ZZR1200, 00 VFR800, 10yrs off, 85 FJ1200,84 FJ1100, 85 FZ750,85 VMAX,84GS1150EF, 85 RZ500,82 GPZ750, 83 900 Seca, 84 GPZ750, 83 CX650, 84 Katana 750 +114 of 200(loved the flip-up headlight), 82 GPZ1100FI, 85 Vulcan750, 83 GS450l, 83 Yam XT250

if any one has any knoledge on how i can get around this please let me know asap, ok here it is, i bought a frame from the states, now it has a rebuilt title, i went through the whole thing of customs, and yamaha has cleared the vin saying no recalls, now i have this bike that has passed federal inspection, and standard cert, but the ministry wants to brand it irrepairible, i have a certificate stating the vin has a cleared title in the us, and is ready for the road, does any one know ANYTHING I CAN DO OR AM I SCWERED!!!!!

thanks mike

what would duty and taxes aproxamitely come to for a $1800 kawasaki ninja 250 from the U.S. coming into Canada?

Burlington during the week / Pickering most weekends

Quote Originally Posted by wolfer001 View Post
    what would duty and taxes approximately come to for a $1800 kawasaki ninja 250 from the U.S. coming into Canada?
    Would come to about $2052 total, but that is not including the other fees and charges that I am reading about.

That 3 day waiting period or advance notice is SUCH BS!!

Basically means, we can't drive over, buy a bike and drive it back.

Burlington during the week / Pickering most weekends

I have one question though, not sure if it would work. I was going to pay a guy extra to ride is bike over the border.

Then I would give him the cash and he would give me the papers. I am just wondering if I would have any issues on this side. I don't think so, because I would have all the papers. Good idea, bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by johnsa1 View Post
    I am in the process of importing a brand new car and it appears from your experience that new bikes are a bit different...do you not need a stamp from US customs on the cert of origin in order to get the form completed by Canada Customs?

You do not need a safety on a brand new vehicle...check MTO website...many canadian tire stores and MTO offices are insistent that you need safety as well as emissions on a new car, but I have a printout from the MTO website stating that you do not..see the section under "vehicles registered out of province"

I hope to import a new Kawasaki this winter..thanks for the info
    I was surprised at not needing anything from US Customs as well. I called the contact number listed at http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/toolb...ts/ny/0901.xml (this is for the Queenston - Lewiston border crossing), and they told me to go straight through.

The lady at the exportation office at the border (with her typical cop rudeness) was adamant about the 72hr notice (I stopped there to be 100% sure I didn't need it).

So it seems they are unaware of the rule. However, I did not have any stamps on the certificate of origin when I filled out the forms on the Canadian side.

I am unsure as to why this is, and the contact at the address above didn't really explain it to me, other than to say that new, never registered motorcycles are an exception.

About new vehicles not needing certification, I just read that section of the MTO website. Something seemed weird to me when I heard I needed to safety it, but I didn't really feel like arguing (too anxious to finally get it registered). So I just added the $50 certification charge to my import costs -- still saved a big chunk of cash.
    '10 Yamaha WR250X
    '09 Triumph Sprint ST
    '07 Suzuki SV650 (sold and missed)

I'm thinking of importing a 2006 or 2007 VFR from the US. How can I find out what the duty and taxes will be for this bike?

chromedome

"U.S statement of compliance (S.O.C Label) at the border"

"Make sure you have the required documentation: title documents, registration, sales receipts, statement of compliance label and manufacturer’s recall clearance letter."

U.S statement of compliance ?? Is this the same label as the
    Statement of compliance label???
    Who would issue the label?
    Sorry for the question

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...t=zc%27s+guide

read my guide, i have a pic of the label and what to do if you don;t have one

chromedome

Question Re: Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

I have bought a Concours 1400 ABS .
    The certificate of compliance is covered by the middle section of the fairing.
    The VIN number is also covered by the fairing, but you can still read the number.
    Would I have to remove the fairing so that CBSA can check the certificate of compliance?

bring tools so you can. Sometimes they check sometimes they dont

chromedome

A quick question.
    The motorbike I bought is new, never titled. So how can I produce a title ?...........Would I have to get the dealer to fax me a copy of the
    " certificate of origin" for the motorbike??????
    I found something at www.cbp.gov, under the exporting a vechicle section ,about untitled vechicles, but it only seems to cover USED vehilces.
    Any suggestions?

call RIV
    i have never done a new bike or car so i won;t comment

To everyone who has imported a bike recently, what did you do for insurance? I have been told that you can't get insurance until the vehicle is registered in Ontario. I am planning to bring it home in the back of a truck but I am worried that something could happen on the way home. I am not looking to throw away 9k USD if we were to get into an accident and the bike were to be totaled.

Any suggestions or has anyone just taken a chance?

Guys i brought a motorcycle in from the states 3 weeks ago,2004 r1,the process is very simple.I went to the Queenston border on a Sunday with a copy of the title,There is a red door which they do the importation and because it was sunday,I left a copy of the title plus my telephone number under the door.They called me back the next day to inform me that they had received it,and gave me a confirmation number.Two weeks later i picked up the Bike in NYC in a chrysler caravan and went to the rainbow bridge,they did not even look at the bike,Gave them the title pay the RIV fee $209.00,They called MTO right away and charge me the gst,however i was suppose to pay 5% duty because the vehicle was not made in North America,however they realized the error and did not bother to charge.I received a letter last week imforming me that i need a recall letter,i phoned Yamaha they sent it to me by email,i forwarded the email to Importation of motor vehicle and in the same day i received the form to take the bike to Canadian tire for the federal inspection it cost 1 penny.They sign the document and i faxed it back to MTO.That is it very simple.Please note you can take it to any border as long as it is not for commercial use.Hope this help.