Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all) - Page 50

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Re: Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

I know someone who just imported a used ZX14 from the USA and that involved picking up the bike in eastern USA then riding to Deals Gap then riding the bike home (and importing it in the process).

His insurance company (here) will temporarily cover a vehicle that you are in the process of purchasing but for which the paperwork is not yet complete, as long as you already have an existing policy (which he did). He told them what the whole plan was; they had seen it done before and all they needed was the VIN. I believe this was through TD-Monnex but I could be wrong - given that this is a sport bike, it pretty much has to be either TD or State Farm. Check with your insurance company - they may do something similar.

The other usual trouble is the license plate. The state from which he was buying the bike issued a temporary plate for him, and he used that until he got the import process complete with his Ontario plate. He was buying it from a Kawasaki dealer, which no doubt expedited this process (and the recall clearance letter).

I'm not fully convinced that this process is 100% unquestionably legal - I have a funny feeling that the state's temporary license plate is only good within that state, but I could be wrong. I have another funny feeling that the state's temporary plate is really only meant to be issued to that state's own residents. But it worked ... the bike has an Ontario plate on it now.

This all happened about 2 weeks ago.

If a company like TFX or another broke is bringing it up for you, how does the RIV paperwork go? I know if you bring it over yourself, you can pay for your RIV right there and it gets stamped. So if a broker brings it across, does the paper still get stamped, and then you just send it or bring it to RIV and pay once the bike is over?
    Caught you looking!! Signature advertising works, inquire if you you would like to rent this space.

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

Currently riding my 2003 R1

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    I'm not fully convinced that this process is 100% unquestionably legal - I have a funny feeling that the state's temporary license plate is only good within that state, but I could be wrong. I have another funny feeling that the state's temporary plate is really only meant to be issued to that state's own residents. But it worked ... the bike has an Ontario plate on it now.
    Someone else PM'ed me what is apparently the solution to this - for some reason, they couldn't post in this thread themselves (so the other purpose of this post is to find out if there's anything wrong with the thread ...)

"Here's a link explaining that you can pre-purchase a Special Permit (similar to a Temporary Vehicle Registration...both $15, but Special Permit is required for Out-Of-Province vehicle purchases)

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...cle/temp.shtml

It allows you to be able to drive your vehicle to licencing offices and mechanics to get the certification done (without having to tow your vehicle everywhere)."

So there ya go ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Someone else PM'ed me what is apparently the solution to this - for some reason, they couldn't post in this thread themselves (so the other purpose of this post is to find out if there's anything wrong with the thread ...)

"Here's a link explaining that you can pre-purchase a Special Permit (similar to a Temporary Vehicle Registration...both $15, but Special Permit is required for Out-Of-Province vehicle purchases)

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...cle/temp.shtml

It allows you to be able to drive your vehicle to licencing offices and mechanics to get the certification done (without having to tow your vehicle everywhere)."

So there ya go ...
    Thats a solution i would have loved before having my trailer. Question is, what are the insurance requirements. My policy with TDMM allows me 14 days with the purchase of a new vehicle. Dont think it includes motos, but i only inquired about cars i could be wrong.

If that special permit was free of an insurance requirement you could greyhound to whatever location and ride back... SWEET. Would be way cheaper than towing a trailer down and back....that is until i get my super 50mpg economical bike hauler on the road.

Some insurance companies will insure the bike for you for transport (in their best interest to do so since facilitating the purchase will lead to a new policy on their books). It's more likely that they will provide you this insurance if you already own insurance products with them, even more so if you have a motorcycle insured with them.

Good luck with that.

Each Broker/Agent/Underwriter seems to have a different answer when making inquiries.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    Thats a solution i would have loved before having my trailer. Question is, what are the insurance requirements. My policy with TDMM allows me 14 days with the purchase of a new vehicle. Dont think it includes motos, but i only inquired about cars i could be wrong.

If that special permit was free of an insurance requirement you could greyhound to whatever location and ride back... SWEET. Would be way cheaper than towing a trailer down and back....that is until i get my super 50mpg economical bike hauler on the road.

when I did in 09, you had to fax, no other way. 72 hours was a must, so were the hours of operation at the border. Fax transmission confirmation was a must (stupid, I know), bill of sale and proving no leins was a must. RIV clearance was only required prior to registration, so it could have been done after, but you better be sure you can import the vehicle if you want to license it. Not saying you can't do it different, this was my first time experience, thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxguy View Post
    I read your story and although very detailed it seems like that border requires more info , plus seems like you did some steps that werent neccesarily.
    As far as I know you dont have to fax the title over ahead of time to the border... You just email them with the Vin and description and then they let you know when you can import, then its a 72 hour wait after that email response.
    When you cross all you need to show is the signed title( also showing no liens), the bill of sale and pretty much thats it. You pay your RIV fee there, that gets sent to RIV and then after you cross you can send them the recall letter.
    Pretty much thats is from what I understood. Maybe cuz you did it in 2010 and things have changed.
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

No longer need to fax anymore, an email is sufficient, and a proof copy of the email they send back to you to show at the border.

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    No longer need to fax anymore, an email is sufficient, and a proof copy of the email they send back to you to show at the border.
    PEOPLE KEEP POSTING THIS AGAIN AND AGAIN! NO, THIS IS NOT TRUE. Every border crossing has different requirements. Queenston-Lewiston only wants e-mails, other ones still want fax. Call or e-mail your border crossing to confirm prior to importing.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    PEOPLE KEEP POSTING THIS AGAIN AND AGAIN! NO, THIS IS NOT TRUE. Every border crossing has different requirements. Queenston-Lewiston only wants e-mails, other ones still want fax. Call or e-mail your border crossing to confirm prior to importing.
    If I've learned anything when dealing with both US and Canada Border Services, find out for yourself and confirm everything before proceeding.

Not all offices are equipped the same. Never assume things are the same at all border crossings. I blame many of my grey hairs on the legwork I had to do to help my dad import a vintage Vespa from Italy in '04.
    Last edited by SEBBARU; 05-09-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by roddy View Post
    Have you ever considered the consequences of buying your bike and gear stateside?

Ever notice that McBride Cycle is gone? Cycle World is gone? Brampton Cycle is gone? Wonder why?

Keep buying stateside and you will have no bike shops in the GTA. You are spending all of your time figuring out how to save a few hundred but obviously not thinking about the local economy.

Ever wonder why most bike shops are tucked in the back of a car dealership?

Why not just move to the US and really boost their economy?

THINK ABOUT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for once.
    He He....Must have worked for mcbride or cycle world.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    He He....Must have worked for mcbride or cycle world.
    I actually thought really really hard before buying my bike States-side. Saving $2k on a $6k bike with dollar being 1:1. Well, the decision was easy! If "local economy" wants to compete with US market, then they better adjust their profit margins and prices accordingly. Btw, we DO have great local companies like Velocity for gear, but there are very few of those.