I know someone who just imported a used ZX14 from the USA and that involved picking up the bike in eastern USA then riding to Deals Gap then riding the bike home (and importing it in the process).

His insurance company (here) will temporarily cover a vehicle that you are in the process of purchasing but for which the paperwork is not yet complete, as long as you already have an existing policy (which he did). He told them what the whole plan was; they had seen it done before and all they needed was the VIN. I believe this was through TD-Monnex but I could be wrong - given that this is a sport bike, it pretty much has to be either TD or State Farm. Check with your insurance company - they may do something similar.

The other usual trouble is the license plate. The state from which he was buying the bike issued a temporary plate for him, and he used that until he got the import process complete with his Ontario plate. He was buying it from a Kawasaki dealer, which no doubt expedited this process (and the recall clearance letter).

I'm not fully convinced that this process is 100% unquestionably legal - I have a funny feeling that the state's temporary license plate is only good within that state, but I could be wrong. I have another funny feeling that the state's temporary plate is really only meant to be issued to that state's own residents. But it worked ... the bike has an Ontario plate on it now.

This all happened about 2 weeks ago.