Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Thread: Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodoo
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNikki
    The frame with title would not be MOTOR VEHICLE therefore it wouldn't fall under the restrictions outlined.
    So, in other words, any bike not otherwise admissible can be imported in pieces, including title, avoiding all annoying charges, paperwork and hassles. Okay, good to know.

The reason it must be from the US is because the US shares pretty much the same safety standards as the Ministry of Transportation. The standards overseas do not hence said vehicles are restricted.
    So, because they may or may not meet US spec, it is forbidden to bring them into Canada; there is no mechanism by which they can be tested to see if they meet emissions and safety specs; and all vehicles coming to Canada must first transit the US. I think it's my turn to roll my eyes.
    No I think it's your turn to contact RIV and the Ministry of Transport and your local MP and take up your beef with them.

As for the bike in pieces yes you could import it like that however you will have to ship the peices separately. The last guy that tried to do that didn't ship it separately and ended up having his motorcycle seized.

Re: Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

I am considering buying a bike that someone recently drove from Tenessee to Canada. He has not done any of the Canadian registration stuff yet. He is willing to drop $500 off the price if I do it all myself.

What would this entail, and would it be less than $500?

Also, for him to have driven it through the border into Canada already, would he have done anything at the border? Or could he have just driven through without gettting any paperwork done, which I would have to do at a later time.

Also, what sort of things should I be asking for if I go to look at the bike (paperwork wise)? I know it has a clean American title, but that's about it...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshmxpx View Post
    I am considering buying a bike that someone recently drove from Tenessee to Canada. He has not done any of the Canadian registration stuff yet. He is willing to drop $500 off the price if I do it all myself.

What would this entail, and would it be less than $500?

Also, for him to have driven it through the border into Canada already, would he have done anything at the border? Or could he have just driven through without gettting any paperwork done, which I would have to do at a later time.

Also, what sort of things should I be asking for if I go to look at the bike (paperwork wise)? I know it has a clean American title, but that's about it...

Thanks
    DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE! LET HIM DO ALL THE PAPERWORK FIRST. Since he hasn't properly imported the bike the bike is in this country illigally you will face red tape if you buy this bike and try to do the paperwork yourself. It's like trying to buy a stolen bike and then trying to register it.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNikki View Post
    DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE! LET HIM DO ALL THE PAPERWORK FIRST. Since he hasn't properly imported the bike the bike is in this country illigally you will face red tape if you buy this bike and try to do the paperwork yourself. It's like trying to buy a stolen bike and then trying to register it.
    Even if he has all the proper ownership papers and such? Why would it be so hard to do all the paperwork myself? What kind of problems would I run into?

Thanks

Buy it... You asked a question I gave you an answer if you don't like my answer then do as you wish and see for yourself. The bike has not been imported into the country do you know what that means? It means that the bike is in this country ILLIGALLY. Do you want to answer as to how the bike got here in the first place?

If it's not such a big deal why doesn't the seller import it?
    Last edited by NinjaNikki; 09-10-2007 at 01:44 AM. Reason: decorum

I apologize for the dumb question but when is PST paid on the import if at all? It seems GST is paid at customs, but I went all through this thread and didn't see anything about PST.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNikki View Post
    Buy it... You asked a question I gave you an answer if you don't like my answer then do as you wish and see for yourself. The bike has not been imported into the country do you know what that means? It means that the bike is in this country ILLIGALLY. Do you want to answer as to how the bike got here in the first place?

If it's not such a big deal why doesn't the seller import it?
    The seller can import it, I just didn't know how big of a deal it was seeing as I've never done anything like this and am not really sure of the rules and such.

So from what you're saying, I should pay the extra $500 and get the bike with all the proper Canadian papers and such?

Sorry for all the noob questions, but I just thought it might be easier and cheaper for me to do the paperwork myself, I never considered the fact that it could be illegally imported.

Thanks

Just got off the phone with my insurance company. Sounds like it is possible to insure the bike to ride from the states back to Canada. The only issue is plating the vehicle. I called MTO and their suggestion was to get temporary permit form the state you are purchasing from and this will allow you to ride it over. MTO says it is possible to get a temporary permit from them if you have the original title and registration documents. The temporary permits lasts for 6 days from MTO.

Quote Originally Posted by joshmxpx View Post

So from what you're saying, I should pay the extra $500 and get the bike with all the proper Canadian papers and such?
    Yes you should. If at the minimum that $500 buys you piece of mind, nothing worst than taking on someone else's problems.

Spawn PST is accessed when one gets their plates from the MTO.