Track fitness. - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Track fitness.

Re: Track fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    that's like a wonderbra and girdle, right?

Yea, i like the tankini for hot days.

Quote Originally Posted by spinto View Post
    This is my second year racing and doing track days. Every race weekend i would have 2 races back to back. I was faster in the second race!!.....so....As Mike says, find a place to rest...breath.....relax.

Corona is the trainer's beer of choice...everyone knows that!!

Stretching....cardio....diet.....mental focus is very important!!!

Personally i've never had issues with my arms or hands.....if you have issues in that area, you need to check your setup.
    I've always turned faster laps, rode better at the end of a session/race. Unfortunately I'm more like a 2-stroke, in that I always run better just before I'm about to blow up/crash.
    http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/306/signaturelj4.jpg

I think in the beginning when you are learning it's taxing because you are stiff on the bike. Once you relax it's much less demaning. At least that's my experience.

Here's a question for all you trackoholics who beg to differ... I have been on the track only twice but here's what my observations..

1) I need to start doing squats and sit ups.. why?? Because my butt
    muscle and the thigh muscle started to give up on me while i was
    trying to lean.
    2) Doing cardio, possibly can help in your reflexes(meaning leaning from
    left to right and vise versa). I bet that has a lot to do with your
    stamina as well.
    3) I notice that as the day passed, I sort of started losing focus on the
    turns that I was not too good at.

I know this probably sounds stupid, but i'm going to sit on the bike and learn the proper lean posture accompanying with doing sit ups and squats to make myself a little bit more flexible.

I am hoping to hit track atleast 3-4 times next year so i want to better prepare myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mehsham View Post
    Here's a question for all you trackoholics who beg to differ... I have been on the track only twice but here's what my observations..

1) I need to start doing squats and sit ups.. why?? Because my butt
    muscle and the thigh muscle started to give up on me while i was
    trying to lean.
    2) Doing cardio, possibly can help in your reflexes(meaning leaning from
    left to right and vise versa). I bet that has a lot to do with your
    stamina as well.
    3) I notice that as the day passed, I sort of started losing focus on the
    turns that I was not too good at.

I know this probably sounds stupid, but i'm going to sit on the bike and learn the proper lean posture accompanying with doing sit ups and squats to make myself a little bit more flexible.

I am hoping to hit track atleast 3-4 times next year so i want to better prepare myself.
    1) It couldn't hurt. I was serious when i said that compression gear does help. Less muscle fatigue.

2) Transitions should all be planned, turn in markers, apexes, transition points. I'm not sure "reflexes" is the right word. However, being in better shape will help you move around on the bike.

3) Mental fatigue. Make sure you keep well hydrated and eat during the day. If you're getting tired and losing concentration, pull off and park it for the session. Get some water and a snack and see if it helps. If you're just plain exhausted at the end of the day, park it an grab a beer. You're not really going to accomplish anything if you're tired other than turning laps and you run the risk of making a big mistake.

Thanks for the pointers ! ... I am hoping to start knee dragging by next year lolz..

Quote Originally Posted by mehsham View Post
    hit track atleast 3-4 times next year
    You mean hit the track atleast 3-4 times per week next year! Why would you ever have to prepare if your only gonna ride once a month?
    SOAR Novice #113

Otherwise my body will never get used to it.. Don't you think I should be prepping myself this way especially since i'm just going to be hitting the track few times thus my body not being immune to the track day at all...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    You mean hit the track atleast 3-4 times per week next year! Why would you ever have to prepare if your only gonna ride once a month?

run.. a lot. cycle.. a lot.

then you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    run.. a lot. cycle.. a lot.

then you'll be fine.
    running alot and cycling alot without first being ready to do it is just asking for injuries. Cycling is much more low impact and your body will be able to tolerate higher volume of it more easily.
    len = len + 20; /* add some buffer */

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Why would you ever have to prepare if your only gonna ride once a month?
    Doing less would be even more reason to prepare! I think the more you do it the more your body gets used to the activity regardless of your personal fitness level.( I've seen some pretty large dudes at the track, this has to be true) Try going climbing, you do it once and your hands and forearms are sore for a week! Do it more often and less soreness. We can't all do 30plus trackdays a year, congrats to those who do, I'm jealous. Thanks to all for the pointers btw, looks like it's squats and baconators all winter long ; ) LOL
    It is what it is...

I have a black belt in anger!

Quote Originally Posted by You Know View Post
    Doing less would be even more reason to prepare! I think the more you do it the more your body gets used to the activity regardless of your personal fitness level.( I've seen some pretty large dudes at the track, this has to be true) Try going climbing, you do it once and your hands and forearms are sore for a week! Do it more often and less soreness. We can't all do 30plus trackdays a year, congrats to those who do, I'm jealous. Thanks to all for the pointers btw, looks like it's squats and baconators all winter long ; ) LOL
    not really...that's like going to train for your tuesday night beer league softball game

what's the point

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    not really...that's like going to train for your tuesday night beer league softball game

what's the point
    I don't know about you but I'll be practicing my arm curls all winter for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    I don't know about you but I'll be practicing my arm curls all winter for next season.
    I'm gonna go down snow hills as fast as I can on a GT and jump off and slide down the hill for practice

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    I'm gonna go down snow hills as fast as I can on a GT and jump off and slide down the hill for practice
    Well in your case you should probably start on the GT and try and hang onto it as you lowside off it. It'd be more realistic like ya see.

Sorry to put a speedbump in your convo guys ^^^ but I'm gunna take a stab at the OP.

I found that when I was working out with a healthy regime, it made throwing the bike around alot easier. Mind you I havent been on the track, but wrestling a 600lb bike on some twistys isn't an easy task. But from a couple seasons of no work out regime to a season with a solid exercise plan, I found a huge difference. It was much easier to balance the bike, to flick it back and forth. I had alot more confidence. Especially with the arms. They definitely help to be solid and strong enough to handle your own weight. To have you whole body in good shape really makes a difference in the way you ride, both mentally and physically.

I definitely suggest taknig it up. It's tough to stick with it for a few weeks, but once you get past that period, you almost beomce addicted. And it's great to have a buddy go with you to inspire you to keep up with it.

Alot of what the other riders have suggested are very valid. Legs and arms are very important. But also keep in mind the rest of your body needs to be up to speed to maintain balance.

I hope you get it all figured out and improve! You won't regret it, thats for sure

Back to your regular programming. If you really wanna toughen up for crashes, try actually crashing like I do.

You can't beat seat time. The more you ride, the better.
    That being said, we can't all ride like my brother (min.1hr of MX every night in the summer or 1hr of cardio and weights to train for Dirt track and Supermotor).
    I have found that playing hockey at least 2x a week is great training. It's a full body workout with focus on the core, legs, and mind which are a must for riding hard. When I has playing rep hockey 5+ nights a week I had my best seasons of racing. Playing competitive sports is the best training IMO as not only does it put your body through the paces, but your mind also. You need that same frame of mind on the track to not only go fast, but deal with whatever comes at you.

If your losing focus, please park it for at least a session if not the day. I pick up at least one rider and parts-binned bike a day who "just wanted to get one last session in" and in most cases, it will also be the last of their summer.

i played hockey all my life "i mean a lot" and worked out a few times a week even if its only as simple as push ups and let me tell you that going around a race track all day is pretty much the hardest thing i have done...it drains you both physically and mentally and to maintain your mental you need your physical...not in shape=fast for 1 session or 4 laps...in shape=fast all day...i would hate to crash cause i couldnt react properly cause i was too tired.....

I never ride the last session.. just one of those "pushin your luck" sorta things.

I've had a good day, i can hear my good buddy Weiser call in me. Pack it in and watch the last session.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    I never ride the last session.. just one of those "pushin your luck" sorta things.

I've had a good day, i can hear my good buddy Weiser call in me. Pack it in and watch the last session.
    Same here. I usually pack it in after the 2nd to last session.