Car oil filter on motorcycle? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Car oil filter on motorcycle?

Re: Car oil filter on motorcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    Page 637 of 1351 tells you what filter you need..

page 629 of 1351 tell you your filter is $6.99

http://motovan.com/common/cat/2009mo...09moto_EN.html

Emgo = $6.99
    HiFli = $8.99
    K&N = $17.99

None are recommended and all are about as good as OEM.
    I see, I thought you guys saved by buying large quantities from major distributors.

I think I've seen FRAM oil filters at Canadian Tire for about the same price as EMGO and HIFLO, $7-9/filter. Have you ever tried FRAM?

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi86 View Post
    I see, I thought you guys saved by buying large quantities from major distributors.

I think I've seen FRAM oil filters at Canadian Tire for about the same price as EMGO and HIFLO, $7-9/filter. Have you ever tried FRAM?
    you saw a frame filter at Can.tire. for a suzuki motorcycle?
    I've never seen those..

I'm quite happy with my stock of EMGO filters.

you saw a frame filter at Can.tire. for a suzuki motorcycle?
    I've never seen those..
    I've seen FRAM motorcycle filters there for about $7-8 but didn't check to see if they were for Suzukis. Next time I go there, I'll ask the automotive guys with the gsxr code to see if they have it

I buy them individually from whichever shop is closest. The prices are in the catalogue. $6.99 IIRC

Call in order one day, pickup parts the next day. Be nice and give them the PN. From the catalogue.

No duty. No shipping. No exchange. No hassle. Just cheap prices

-- Sent from my HSPA+ mobile deviceŽ, assembled in China.
    How do you find the closest shop? I like prices I see in the catalogue

Quote Originally Posted by stangn99 View Post
    How do you find the closest shop? I like prices I see in the catalogue
    any bike shop...

Well, just about any.
    That vast majority of bike shops deal with motovan. the closest one to youe house/work, almost certainly does.

I like the motovan catalogue the best cause prices are listed (MSRP). you can usually do better by negotiating with your local shop at the time of purchase.

Thibault catalogue is good, but the internet interface isn't as nice.

Motovan
    Parts Canada
    Thibault

any bike shop...

Well, just about any.
    That vast majority of bike shops deal with motovan. the closest one to youe house/work, almost certainly does.

I like the motovan catalogue the best cause prices are listed (MSRP). you can usually do better by negotiating with your local shop at the time of purchase.

Thibault catalogue is good, but the internet interface isn't as nice.

Motovan
    Parts Canada
    Thibault
    Cool... so I can call up, for example, Motorcycle City in Richmond Hill (hate that place) and ask them to order in my filter...and expect to pay the MSRP i see in the catalogue?

I had no idea you could do that. Thanks

Cool... so I can call up, for example, Motorcycle City in Richmond Hill (hate that place) and ask them to order in my filter...and expect to pay the MSRP i see in the catalogue?

I had no idea you could do that. Thanks

Absolutely...

Of course.. there is a note saying "prices are subject to change" - but I've always paid the listed MSRP or less.

I always go to the same shop, and usually get about 10% off the MSRP catalogue price - sometimes a little more % off depending on the size of the order.

Most shops will keep stock of the more expensive/higher markup parts... (like K&N oil filters).

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon View Post
    Hey,

I was wondering if anybody uses automotive oil filters on their motorcycle. They are essentially the same, right?

Thanks
    YES, they are. There is NO such a thing as "car" filters or "snowmobile" filters etc. Filter is a filter. Just like spark plugs, headlights, bearings and many other parts that are available for gasoline powered machines.

Filters have a certain capacity (size), thread size and pitch and certain PSI for the by-pass valve. When manufacturers design their engines they choose a filter that best matches the requirements for that particular engine. One filter could be used on many different engines...

Now, lot of companies will try to sell you a motorcycle specific filter, spark plug, head light, bearing, grease etc. at 3x the price. H4 bulb is H4, whether used on a bike or on a car .

For example, in my shop I have a motorcycle specific compressor to inflate motorcycle tires only with motorcycle specific air, and I charge $2 per tire .

Get it?

R.
    Pannon Moto Sports
    SHARK HELMETS

905 369 0561
    169 Crumbie St. unit 4
    Mississauga (Streetsville), ON L5M 1H7
    Shop hours and rates
    Map

Quote Originally Posted by PannonSports View Post
    YES, they are. There is NO such a thing as "car" filters or "snowmobile" filters etc. Filter is a filter. Just like spark plugs, headlights, bearings and many other parts that are available for gasoline powered machines.

Filters have a certain capacity (size), thread size and pitch and certain PSI for the by-pass valve. When manufacturers design their engines they choose a filter that best matches the requirements for that particular engine. One filter could be used on many different engines...

Now, lot of companies will try to sell you a motorcycle specific filter, spark plug, head light, bearing, grease etc. at 3x the price. H4 bulb is H4, whether used on a bike or on a car .

For example, in my shop I have a motorcycle specific compressor to inflate motorcycle tires only with motorcycle specific air, and I charge $2 per tire .

Get it?

R.

are the pure one filters 16 dollars at your store?

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi86 View Post

you can try and ask a auto shop to sell you a case of filters. it costs them 20- $25 dollars a case. last time i got a case for $25 from a shop. the next time he asked for $35. its still cheaper than going to the auto parts store directly. if you don't have an account they charge you the full price.

Case 0f 12 by the way
    Last edited by WarpTiger; 02-11-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPDDMN View Post
    Sorry to jack the thread, but you jacked my screen name. Well not entirely, as mine is SPDDMN and you actually spelled it out.

But anyhoo, hope this forum is as helpful to you as it has been to me..
    Actually, I have had this screen name for about 8 years now. If you dont believe me then check the acurazine fourms. My email address also has speeddemon in it. But who cares, right? ;P

Didnt know this thread was still active. I guess spring is coming around and people need to do oil changes soon.

I just used a car oil filter (Purolator) for my r6. Apparently alot of people in the US have used car oil filters for a long time with no problems. Dont feel like spending $35 for a oem filter when something for $10 works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    Great info, imaginary reps
    are you being sarcastic?

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon View Post
    are you being sarcastic?
    Where did you buy your purolator filter for $10?

I just picked up 2 Napa Gold motorcycle filters (which is actually a WIX filter) for $30 ($15 each).

Where did you buy your purolator filter for $10?

I just picked up 2 Napa Gold motorcycle filters (which is actually a WIX filter) for $30 ($15 each).
    you can get the napa filter from the same place for cars for about 5 each. the guy at napa said he wouldn't charge me tax if i got the whole case. I think he could have done better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_zx3 View Post
    you can get the napa filter from the same place for cars for about 5 each. the guy at napa said he wouldn't charge me tax if i got the whole case. I think he could have done better than that.
    Thanks.. I'm wondering where the dude above bought this Purolator filter for $10.

I had leakage issues with'em. Go with Purolator, Bosch or Supertech.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    I had leakage issues with'em. Go with Purolator, Bosch or Supertech.
    Leakage with the Wix?

Where are you guys buying your Puro/supertech filters online? Other than Pannon, I can't find any local store who carries them. And Pannon is 1 hour away, and is over priced.

Leakage with the Wix?

Where are you guys buying your Puro/supertech filters online? Other than Pannon, I can't find any local store who carries them. And Pannon is 1 hour away, and is over priced.
    http://www.carparts.com/autoparts/Pr...up?Ntt=pl14459

http://www.carparts.com/autoparts/Pr...atalogId=10618

just search pl14610 Or pl14612 or pl14459 or whatever the filter is for your bike.

they have a free shipping offer but its only good for the states. better off waiting for a 10-15% off deal that you can actually take advantage of then pay the shipping.

this seems to be the only place that ships to Canada but they tack on a $12 surcharge and $30 for shipping. amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada but if you have someone to pick up from the states its the way to go at the moment.

if i cant get the Purolators cheaper i'm just going to get the k&n's. not worth $15 but better than oem in my opinion.
    Last edited by WarpTiger; 02-14-2010 at 08:41 AM.

alot of ppl use car filters on their bike with no issue, here is a list for the VTX filter from VTXAO.i notice FRAM 7317 fits on the blackbird from an earlier post, i was told by the parts guy at honda that filter on a VTX are the same for an RC51 so alot of honda use the same filter i suppose.
    ps. FRAM 7137 sells at walmart for $6.it is also the same filter for my eagle talon...i guess alot of the jap product use the same fit for their filter.

Alternate oil filter part numbers

The following is a list of filter numbers that will work on the 1800 and 1300.
    Motorcycle specific filters;
    AC Delco PF2135
    AMSOIL EaOM-103
    FRAM PH6017A
    Honda OEM #15410-MCJ-003
    K&N KN-204
    NAPA Gold 1358
    Purolator Motorcycle ML16817
    STP 07
    WIX 51358

Car filters about 2.5 inches tall;
    AC Delco PF1237