Car oil filter on motorcycle? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Car oil filter on motorcycle?

Re: Car oil filter on motorcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by krfdpssti View Post
    1000 dollar shoei helmet, top of the line tires, latest alpinestar gear, but make sure to save 3 dollars on a filter lol :d
    its a 2 dollar filter. Not 3!

Quote Originally Posted by KRFDPSSTI View Post
    1000 dollar shoei helmet, top of the line tires, latest alpinestar gear, but make sure to save 3 dollars on a filter lol
    Every little bit counts. Just using the ST7317 filters saves me $100 per year. If you look out for deals that won't be detrimental to your bike or safety, you can save a large chunk a year on everything and make the hobby a lot cheaper.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_zx3 View Post
    its a 2 dollar filter. Not 3!
    Speaking of which, there's nothing wrong with Champion elements. Most OEM's use them and charge $20 for a filter that you can get for $2-3.
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Speaking of which, there's nothing wrong with Champion elements. Most OEM's use them and charge $20 for a filter that you can get for $2-3.
    funny how you can spend 20 for one filter and also get the whole case fro the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
    lol

having a "cool" and "popular" name such as Speed Demon, you are seriously suprised someone else has a variation of it?
    I think the thread with the definition of facetious was deleted. I was only joking around and don't really care that they have a variation of my screen name.
    ~Get busy living or get busy dying~

2004 Stealth GSX-R 750

Quote Originally Posted by aircav View Post
    Gixxers tend to get grumpy and go on a work to rule program.
    Quote Originally Posted by yettiman121 View Post
    what if your a Blind dyslexic ?

and do they have braille in different languages, or is it universal ?

Every little bit counts. Just using the ST7317 filters saves me $100 per year. If you look out for deals that won't be detrimental to your bike or safety, you can save a large chunk a year on everything and make the hobby a lot cheaper.

Does your service manual for your bike call for the filter to be changed every oil change or every second one?

Quote Originally Posted by MassNutrition View Post
    No one has asked the question... WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO use an automotive filter on a bike?? Is it to save money??
    It is to get better filtration efficiency AND to save money.

The Kawasaki dealer will happily relieve you of 20 bucks for a stock Kawasaki oil filter which is a plain ordinary paper-element filter. Or you can get a Purolator PureOne filter, which has a larger area of filter media and different types of filter media in layers to get a much higher filtration efficiency AND a better anti-drainback valve, for about 6 bucks. They're available everywhere in the USA ... dunno why they are not more common here, but Pannon sells them.

Purolator says you're not supposed to use those filters on a bike ... but no one can figure out why. The reason they give - that the bike's oil pump might not overcome the higher pressure drop across the filter media - is bogus.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    It is to get better filtration efficiency AND to save money.

The Kawasaki dealer will happily relieve you of 20 bucks for a stock Kawasaki oil filter which is a plain ordinary paper-element filter. Or you can get a Purolator PureOne filter, which has a larger area of filter media and different types of filter media in layers to get a much higher filtration efficiency AND a better anti-drainback valve, for about 6 bucks. They're available everywhere in the USA ... dunno why they are not more common here, but Pannon sells them.

Purolator says you're not supposed to use those filters on a bike ... but no one can figure out why. The reason they give - that the bike's oil pump might not overcome the higher pressure drop across the filter media - is bogus.
    probably because there might be more profit selling cheap filters

also it looks like pannon sells the purolators for $16 not $6 http://www.pannonsports.com/store/ma...ufacturerid=16
    Last edited by WarpTiger; 02-01-2010 at 01:30 AM.

http://www.fjr1300.info/mods/oilfilter.html

I use the Bosch or the Mobil One
    " I don't want a pickle, I'd rather just ride on my motorcycle."

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Does your service manual for your bike call for the filter to be changed every oil change or every second one?
    At $2-3 a filter, I can afford to change them out every time. In any case, I heard that most filters have an effective life of 8000km and I change the oil every 5-6000km. It's a bit more frequent than what the manual calls for, but it's cheap insurance (especially since I use Rotella).

Quote Originally Posted by gwelfmike View Post
    http://www.fjr1300.info/mods/oilfilter.html

I use the Bosch or the Mobil One
    Bosch filters have Champion elements, the same as the $20 OEM filters and the $2.50 SuperTech filters

At $2-3 a filter, I can afford to change them out every time. In any case, I heard that most filters have an effective life of 8000km and I change the oil every 5-6000km. It's a bit more frequent than what the manual calls for, but it's cheap insurance (especially since I use Rotella).

Bosch filters have Champion elements, the same as the $20 OEM filters and the $2.50 SuperTech filters

I get bosch filters at 6 bucks each, change the oil and filter every 5 k, use full synthetic,
    " I don't want a pickle, I'd rather just ride on my motorcycle."

Any Ducati owners here try swapped brands? There are cross reference for auto filters that fit but not recommended. Its not the $20 bucks that bothers me, its getting to the dealer to pick a couple up.

And before anybody starts Duc drownings, I knew what I was in for long ago.......

Quote Originally Posted by crankcall View Post
    Any Ducati owners here try swapped brands? There are cross reference for auto filters that fit but not recommended. Its not the $20 bucks that bothers me, its getting to the dealer to pick a couple up.

And before anybody starts Duc drownings, I knew what I was in for long ago.......
    I use the same filter on my Ducati racebike that I use on all my service bikes and its been fine. Not a car filter but cheaper than OEM. Hi-Flo HF-153 retails for about $12

I've got a 1985 BMW K100. OEM filter is #11 42 1 460 845. Its made in Austria and costs about $30 at the dealer. Its pretty heavy; feels like you'd expect a used one full of dirt to feel. Some BMW web sites post a Purolator # for a swap, but I can't find one anywhere. The number isn't even listed with suppliers like NAPA, etc.
    Any ideas, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by 85K100 View Post
    I've got a 1985 BMW K100. OEM filter is #11 42 1 460 845. Its made in Austria and costs about $30 at the dealer. Its pretty heavy; feels like you'd expect a used one full of dirt to feel. Some BMW web sites post a Purolator # for a swap, but I can't find one anywhere. The number isn't even listed with suppliers like NAPA, etc.
    Any ideas, anyone?
    you can try and use these 2 sites to reference it to find out what cars use the same filter as your bike. then ask for the filter for the car when you go to buy it and check the thread to make sure they are the same as your bike.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

http://ca-en.purolatorautofilters.ne...UsedGuide.aspx

http://ca-en.purolatorautofilters.ne...PL10241&page=1

http://ca-en.purolatorautofilters.ne...PL25230&page=1

I checked the first link above for my 2003 GSXR750 and it said:

[2]

"These Oil Filters
    have 20 x 1mm threads,
    11 psi by-pass valve,
    anti-drain back valve.

None are recommended.

This is a proprietary Suzuki
    thread, and no high performance
    filters are made for 20mmx1mm
    threads.
    "

Does this mean the aftermarket filters they have on the "filters available" list are not as good as OEM? That'd be weird cause the OEM filter's on that list too...

What are you guys using for your gixxers? I'm sick of paying $20 per 1 OEM filter. I'd rather use a good aftermarket filter and order like whole box from a major distributor...

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi86 View Post
    I checked the first link above for my 2003 GSXR750 and it said:

[2]

"These Oil Filters
    have 20 x 1mm threads,
    11 psi by-pass valve,
    anti-drain back valve.

None are recommended.

This is a proprietary Suzuki
    thread, and no high performance
    filters are made for 20mmx1mm
    threads.
    "

Does this mean the aftermarket filters they have on the "filters available" list are not as good as OEM? That'd be weird cause the OEM filter's on that list too...

What are you guys using for your gixxers? I'm sick of paying $20 per 1 OEM filter. I'd rather use a good aftermarket filter and order like whole box from a major distributor...
    No, it simply means that the aftermarket ones are as good as the OEM, and non of them are recommended, including the OEM.

All equally mediocre

I use Emgo or HiFlo based on cost. Order through the motovan catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    No, it simply means that the aftermarket ones are as good as the OEM, and non of them are recommended, including the OEM.

All equally mediocre

I use Emgo or HiFlo based on cost. Order through the motovan catalogue.
    How much does a box usually run you with the shipping and duty fees?
    How many filters are in one box?

I buy them individually from whichever shop is closest. The prices are in the catalogue. $6.99 IIRC

Call in order one day, pickup parts the next day. Be nice and give them the PN. From the catalogue.

No duty. No shipping. No exchange. No hassle. Just cheap prices

-- Sent from my HSPA+ mobile deviceŽ, assembled in China.

Page 637 of 1351 tells you what filter you need..

page 629 of 1351 tell you your filter is $6.99

http://motovan.com/common/cat/2009mo...09moto_EN.html

Emgo = $6.99
    HiFli = $8.99
    K&N = $17.99

None are recommended and all are about as good as OEM.