Salted Roads Spotted - Post Here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salted Roads Spotted - Post Here

Salted Roads Spotted - Post Here

With the weather getting cold, and salt trucks beginning to make an appearance, thought it would be great (for those of us that care about avoiding salted roads) to post up any roads you've come across lately that have obvious salt or brine.

Looking to do a lot of riding this weekend, and after waking up to snow and ice on the ground this morning in Aurora, I'm thinking they must have started to lay the nasty stuff in some regions. Fortunately the roads I drove were clear on my way into work this morning.

Lets help each other out.

Re: Salted Roads Spotted - Post Here

I noticed some areas around Georgetown sprayed, but then we had a bit of rain and they don't seem to have re-applied. However, today Winston Churchill on the bridge over the 401 look like brine applied.... so its possible MTO sprayed the ramps and bridges over the 401 out this way... but I didn't check the others, will leave that up to someone else!!!

Really, as long as its dry out I don't worry about the brine. The idea of anti-icing (sprayed before snow/ice) is that it will sit once dry for days and not "reactivate" until moisture is back on the surface, either precipitation or dew.

I will be riding until I see solid deicer used. Then a good cleaning and to bed for winter.
    -1979 Honda CB650 (SOLD)
    -2006 Suzuki GS500F (SOLD)
    -2007 25th Anniversary Honda VFR800 (+50k km)

Came back from riding, and was really surprised to see how much salt was out on the roads. Tons dumped on Dufferin at King Road intersection in Aurora. Lots of salt dumped at Major Mac and Bathurst intersection in Richmond Hill as well. Looks like it's pretty much unavoidable. Chances are, if you went out riding this weekend, you hit some contaminated roads...

Kind of a bummer. I'll just make sure to give it a good thorough wash next weekend before storage.

Sand on roads northern parts of the Muskokas. North of Rosseu, 518, 3, 6 and parts of 141 and 69.

Hi,
    I've been salting/plowing York Region roads for a dozen years. Thursday night streamers came down from Georgian Bay into King Township. Dufferin and King was the epicentre.
    Its all about avoiding litigation; any speck of snow, pour on the salt to avoid boneheads wiping out and suing the Region.

Lots of salters out around Aurora last week. Had to scramble to put the cars away for the winter. Still rode the bike yesterday with no problems.
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

Anywher in the mountains south of Buffalo has been hammered with snow at least 4 times already. I saw lots of snowbanks down there on the wknd, and standing snow on the shady side of many hills and mountains even in the 15 degree weather of Sat and Sun. And many roads had sand and salt residue on them.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I'm starting to think I won't go to Dover on friday just to avoid any potential salt.

See they laid a layer of brine along 404 lanes (both directions).

404 and where?
    I was on the 404 going Southbound from Highway 7 last night, didn't notice, but it was late and I was freezing, so I may not have seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    404 and where?
    I was on the 404 going Southbound from Highway 7 last night, didn't notice, but it was late and I was freezing, so I may not have seen it?
    It's most obvious starting around 401 on to around Finch. You can see the parallel running white streaks on the surface if you look closely.

Seeing more salt on roads around home (Aurora). Bummer, looks like the bikes going away on Saturday.

Sounds like I'll go give the bike a good rinse now just in case. Thanks for the warning. This thread is helping already =)

400 from north of Major Mac to hwy 9 (Davis Drive) This was done this past Tueday eve around 8:15. I rode past it and got sprayed all over with it. Not nice.

Hwy 9 (Davis Dr) from 400 to at least Bathurst
    Greenlane north of Newmarket from Bathurst to Woodbine has been for a while

404 from 401 to the north end at greenlane has been done recently

Woodbine at least from Greenlane to Mt Albert Sideroad, and likely north and south of that section.

Mt Albert Sideroad from Woodbine to hwy 48 was done a week and a bit ago.

hwy 48 around Mt Albert was done over a week ago.
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

In Caledon, it looks like everything including and north of Olde Base Line Road has had brine applied. Forks of the Credit road is a slippery, treacherous mess in the shaded corners.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
    400 from north of Major Mac to hwy 9 (Davis Drive) This was done this past Tueday eve around 8:15. I rode past it and got sprayed all over with it. Not nice.
    Sorry to hear about that Tom... cleaning that junk out of the clothes is not fun either.

I was on the 400 today (Sat) and came up to Penetanguishene and all the roads seemed fine heading up this way.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

It would be a safe bet that every road north of Mayfield/Major Mac has been sprayed. I haven't seen a road, in the last week, that hasn't been sprayed at some point.

401 eastbound has been sprayed from at lest s far east of 35/115 to Brock Road (where I got off.)

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

I *think* 401 west and east in toronto has been sprayed?

Quote Originally Posted by vrus View Post
    I *think* 401 west and east in toronto has been sprayed?
    You gotta be kiddin me!

Gardiner (westbound at least) off DVP has been sprayed nicely as of yesterday. Got off at Spadina, but sure it went on for awhile.

Glad I winterized the bike, especially wouldn't want to be riding in this wet weather with all salt on the roads now.