Over Heating

Thread: Over Heating

Over Heating

So I was able to get the stunt bike out for a lot session yesterday and the bike started over heating on me(06 cbr 600rr). I have no guages on it so I couldn't check temp. She was spewing coolant out of the drain hose. The thing is the bike was sitting in a shop for prbly 2 full season or more with no maintenance done to it. The bike runs excellent other then this prob. My one thought is when I put the tank back on from when I did the idle mod and pinched a line? Or is it just the nature of stunting a bike in the lot? Any other suggestions that I should take a look at would be great..

Thanks

Re: Over Heating

it shouldn't be overheating, especially yesterday was pretty cool out. Did you hear your rad fan turn on? if the fan either seizes or blows a fuse it wont work, and your bike will overheat pretty fast.

It came on I think once, which I was surprised about. I didn't think it would have any problems yesterday with the cool temp we had. I am going to put a switch in for the fan so I can turn it on and off manually or just hardwire it to be on all the time. I'm going to pop the tank off today and see if I can spot any pinched lines or anything odd looking.

Hard wire your fan to a switch, then trouble shoot from there...I turn mine on whenever Im in a lot, and let it run the whole time....

I think you have another problem though, your bike should not overheat in this weather....Unless you were doing 20 min of high RPM burnouts?...

another thing to look into is coolant, its not a big deal this time of year but in the summer i run engine ice in my bike, it stays alot cooler, and your rad cap might be screwed too, not holding pressure

how many times this summer did you hear

"who's bike smells like coolant?"

Quote Originally Posted by cjones_636 View Post
    how many times this summer did you hear

"who's bike smells like coolant?"
    hahahahah if i only had a dollar for each time, i could afford a 636!

No high revs by any means... I'm gonna check the rad cap. I also think it's something different then just turning on the fan. It shouldn't be heating up to that point. I put my street bike through a lot worse then what I put this one through.

I'm thinking maybe a thermostat is the issue... anyone ever just pull it out.

yah you can, because your putting the fan on a switch, so your good!

Quote Originally Posted by RecKLeSS 600 View Post
    It came on I think once, which I was surprised about. I didn't think it would have any problems yesterday with the cool temp we had. I am going to put a switch in for the fan so I can turn it on and off manually or just hardwire it to be on all the time. I'm going to pop the tank off today and see if I can spot any pinched lines or anything odd looking.
    Is the fan controlled thru your gauges? when I blew a fuse my gauges went out and my fan wouldn't come on(fan/signal/controls). Just wondering as you said you don't have gauges. I know you think it came on once but if was overheating it should have come on more than that. And yeah if your not really cruising along(not getting that much cool air, its kinda like being in traffic your bike tends to heat up even on a cool day, especially if your fans not on.
    Last edited by adamcbrrr; 11-02-2009 at 05:57 PM.

The same thing happened to me. Hot coolant burned my leg when i was running my bike without gauges. I heard my fan turn on once, so i thought everything was working. It turns out that for some reason that time the fan turned on as a fluke and that i need to hard wire a switch or put stock gauges on my bike. It's been working perfect ever since. Maybe your bike have the same problem as my F4i.
    Its not what you ride, its how you ride it.