Chaging Oil for Winterizing - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chaging Oil for Winterizing

Re: Chaging Oil for Winterizing

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    In 30 years, a dozen bikes and a couple of million Km I never had an engine failure. I must be doing it all wrong.
    I've been riding since 1977 and have NEVER had an engine failure. That includes using bottom of the barrel 10w30 CTC Nugold.
    So why are machine parts stored with an oil film? Anal retainer firmly in place, thank you.

Lol, simple question, what a heated response. In my opinion it's one thing to baby the bike, it's another thing to take care of it.

A bike is meant to be pushed and used hard. At the same time if you can spend 30 minutes doing an oil change and it betters the condition, is it not worth doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSavant View Post
    This is going to make into someone's signature

Quote Originally Posted by 250Rocket View Post
    Lol, simple question, what a heated response. In my opinion it's one thing to baby the bike, it's another thing to take care of it.

A bike is meant to be pushed and used hard. At the same time if you can spend 30 minutes doing an oil change and it betters the condition, is it not worth doing.
    If you deviate from the OEM destructions, go that extra mile as it were, you're setting yourself up for insult from the gods of the sport.
    OEMs are the highest authority. It's like a cult following.
    DO NOT think for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    So why are machine parts stored with an oil film? Anal retainer firmly in place, thank you.
    I can't figure out which side you are on. You say that the manufacturer knows best, and they have not said in any of the user manuals I have ever read that oil should be changed either before or after storage, then you go on to say that oil will eat babbit bearings over the winter leading to them spinning ( you really need to look up what causes spun bearings, it is not excessive clearance between crank and bearing, it is lack of oil), then you add the above gem. Tell me, those machined parts that are being stored, is that oil film changed when winter comes? Your bike engine has that oil film as well, just from running it, that that oil film gets changed everytime you run the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by bear22099 View Post
    I can't figure out which side you are on. You say that the manufacturer knows best, and they have not said in any of the user manuals I have ever read that oil should be changed either before or after storage, then you go on to say that oil will eat babbit bearings over the winter leading to them spinning ( you really need to look up what causes spun bearings, it is not excessive clearance between crank and bearing, it is lack of oil), then you add the above gem. Tell me, those machined parts that are being stored, is that oil film changed when winter comes? Your bike engine has that oil film as well, just from running it, that that oil film gets changed everytime you run the bike.
    I said I prefer to go beyond (the extra mile) what the OEMs specify. That's a choice I made based on the clear indication of condensation in the seperate unit transmissions on the Buell and BMW. I also fill to the brim the rest of the motor when in long term cold storage.

Re: spinning bearings. You have me confused with another poster.

Re: machine parts. No, why do that? I remember back in the day people would buy crated 25-30yr. old army bikes. Good as new due to oil film.

Bear:
    Excessive bearing clearance does indeed cause failure.
    Mains and big end bearings ride a "wave" of oil. The size and shape of this "wave" is dictated by the oil viscosity and the bearing clearance. When you have excessive bearing clearance the "wave" is not formed correctly allowing metal to metal contact, increasing heat, thinning oil... and spinning bearings.
    Ask anyone that knows how to build motors.
    You are right in that bearing failure is caused by lack of oil. Lack of oil can be caused by excessive bearing clearance.

The oil used to coat NEW metal parts is 1) VERY high viscosity oils and 2) NOT subjected to contamination by the by-products of combustion, so it will, for all intents and purposes, last for ever.

For those that want to fill the motor to the brim with oil; you don't need to do that. Just turn the motor upside down after you change the oil. (If you are going to store an aircraft motor for an extended period it is suggested you store the motor inverted).

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post

For those that want to fill the motor to the brim with oil; you don't need to do that. Just turn the motor upside down after you change the oil. (If you are going to store an aircraft motor for an extended period it is suggested you store the motor inverted).
    Ya, thats what I need. A shop full of upside down motorcycle. I understand that reasoning but I also like all seals and gaskets "wet". This only applies to longer term storage. Doesn't apply to everybody: see owners manual.

PS. If I were to store a bike in a snowbank (been there, done that) I'd fill it to the brim AND douse it with WD40 all over.