Chaging Oil for Winterizing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chaging Oil for Winterizing

Chaging Oil for Winterizing

First off yes, i've looked over many winterizing guides but that's what caused my question.

Some say change the filter and oil before, and others say before and after. Even had one guy at the shop tell me only after but he's an idiot.

I'm leaning towards changing it before and keeping it next season but why would somebody say before and after? Is there that much degradation if it just sits there?

I'm keeping my bike in a heated garage where the garage might get cold for a bit when the car is pulled in and out.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSavant View Post
    This is going to make into someone's signature

Re: Chaging Oil for Winterizing

change it now and forget about it, no need to do change it again in spring.

Change it before putting it away and you won't have any problems if it's in a heated garage anyways.

^ +1.

Oil doesn't go bad if it hasn't been run in an engine. The purpose of changing the oil is to get rid of the used oil which will be dirty and acidic. Get rid of it, put fresh oil in your bike, run some gas stabilizer through your fuel system, take the battery out / put it on a tender and forget about it.

It'll be ready to run in the spring.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

I change it before and after. Every spring I do a "first service" on the bike and replace the oil and lube and tighten things that need to be lubed and tightened.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

The oil does indeed break down over time even when the engine is not running. Yes it is slower but it does break down. That means that you wouldn't have to change your car oil at all if you weren't put 5000kms on it in two years.
    Always Leaving...

2009 Kawasaki ZX6-R
    (Mods: Progrip Tank Protector, TechSpec Tank Pads, Renthal Grips)
    2007 GSXR 600 (Sold)
    (Mods: M4 Slipon, Blue Pazzo Shorties, Carbon Fiber Chain Guard, Renthal Kevlar Grips, Puig Double Bubble, Stomp Grips, Driven Bar Ends, Vortex Rearsets)
    2000 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by shaneriley View Post
    The oil does indeed break down over time even when the engine is not running. Yes it is slower but it does break down. That means that you wouldn't have to change your car oil at all if you weren't put 5000kms on it in two years.
    Yeah but that's a long time, 6 months (MAX) shouldn't make much difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSavant View Post
    This is going to make into someone's signature

Please explain how the oil breaks down from just sitting

That's a bad example. It doesn't relate to what we're talking about.

Does it have to be changed right before storage? I was talking to another biker and he said as long as it's 'fresh' (under 100km) it will be fine over the winter??? Sounded odd to me but first winter for me so just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
    Does it have to be changed right before storage? I was talking to another biker and he said as long as it's 'fresh' (under 100km) it will be fine over the winter??? Sounded odd to me but first winter for me so just asking.
    No.. as long as the oil hasn't been abused(several hundred km's) it won't hurt anything. I myself pretty much ride throughout the winter as long as temps are above freezing, but I will pull my battery if it sits for a while. The longer it sits the more important it becomes to change it especially if it's used oil. This is the case no matter what type of vehicle it is or time of the year it is(Gas is the same way, this being the reason we use stabilizer). The main reason you hear the words 'winterizing' is most guy's put away their bikes for 4 to 6 months without touching it or even looking at it. This is when these things become important. One thing a lot of ppl think is a good idea is just turning the bike on throughout the winter.(BAD)I don't suggest turning on the bike and warming it up without riding it because it will never get up to the proper temps and return create moisture in the engine making it possible for rust to form. Similar reaction to old used oil will have on an engine if it sits for a long period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by 250Rocket View Post
    First off yes, i've looked over many winterizing guides but that's what caused my question.

Some say change the filter and oil before, and others say before and after. Even had one guy at the shop tell me only after but he's an idiot.

I'm leaning towards changing it before and keeping it next season but why would somebody say before and after? Is there that much degradation if it just sits there?

I'm keeping my bike in a heated garage where the garage might get cold for a bit when the car is pulled in and out.
    What i always do is put in fresh oil for storage and change that oil after about 3000 kms in the spring ,been doing that for years with no problem...

Quote Originally Posted by RecKLeSS 600 View Post
    No.. as long as the oil hasn't been abused(several hundred km's) it won't hurt anything. .
    Thanks!

Sorry guys I guess I misunderstood the post. I do agree with the oil change before storing as opposed to after. That dirty oil sitting on your vital engine parts will keep that engine silky smooth.
    Always Leaving...

2009 Kawasaki ZX6-R
    2007 GSXR 600 (Sold)
    (Mods: M4 Slipon, Blue Pazzo Shorties, Carbon Fiber Chain Guard, Renthal Kevlar Grips, Puig Double Bubble, Stomp Grips, Driven Bar Ends, Vortex Rearsets)
    2000 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

I just bought my last 4L Jug and 2nd oil filter of the year last night... I am going to do a regular oil + filter change with the Motul, and keep riding until I go away on Vacation... (first week of december)... then I am gonna go to Canadian Tire, and buy a bunch of the ****** oil and do an oil change and fill the whole motor to the brim with oil... then before the start of the season, just drain it and fill it back to the correct level with Motul again. That is my closest interpretation of the desired oil results of Manufacturer vs. Mechanic vs. Ontario style winter..
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Not having fresh oil for winter will not cause your bike to melt in the off season.

You guys that are doing a fresh oil change at the end of the season and then replacing it as soon as the season starts are wasting your money IMO.

Saying that the oil is acidic after it's run through the engine has convinced me to change my oil before winter, Since its said many times over that used oil is harder on the engine when sitting there. But I have a slight problem with that in that when you change the oil you never drain all of it out. And only once you run the engine does the fresh oil make it to all the cavities of the engine. It's also suggested to not run the engine once the oil is changed since this will contaminate the new oil.

My question is isn't all the bad oil sitting in the cavities just as bad as the oil sitting in the pan?

Change the oil & filter, then run the engine up to full temp, then park it.
    You will not contaminate the oil in a short run.

Quote Originally Posted by 250Rocket View Post

I change it before and after. But that's also because I put a 'cheaper' oil in for winterising and want to get rid of it before I run the bike.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieRev View Post
    Change the oil & filter, then run the engine up to full temp, then park it.
    You will not contaminate the oil in a short run.
    +2 on that.
    Always Leaving...

2009 Kawasaki ZX6-R
    2007 GSXR 600 (Sold)
    2000 Yamaha R6 (Sold)