Battery # 2 Dead ! problems continue to unfold on my 06 GSXR 600... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery # 2 Dead ! problems continue to unfold on my 06 GSXR 600...

Re: Battery # 2 Dead ! problems continue to unfold on my 06 GSXR 600...

a good fix it to introduce some sort of a extra cooling system, like a 12v computer fan, or a little air scoop (but this may introduce water), but get creative.

That's what you get for putting chrome SRAD stickers on it... the bike is fighting back.

While I have no direct experience with this particular rectifier I have lots of experience with lots of other rectifier circuits.
    The #1 fault is bad ground.
    Maybe this particular rectifier has a lousy inside path to ground from the negative plate, there is nothing you can do with that BUT you can be sure the thing's case is well grounded. I am not above running a ground strap back to the battery.
    I have also McGyvered a Pentium 2 fan onto the top of rectifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlyswine View Post
    My money is on Rectifier - had it go in two previous bikes. seems a very common weak point.
    I agree 100%.

All these potential solutions, without even a single multimeter reading...

Makes ya think .

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    All these potential solutions, without even a single multimeter reading...

Makes ya think .

yup! A $9 UNit from crappy tire will tell us all a lot about what the bike is doing

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian1974 View Post
    The problem will either be insufficient output (stator or regulator), or an open circuit causing a drain. The rectifier simply converts AC to DC. The simple test is to place an ammeter across the battery terminals and start the bike. Assuming you know how to use an ammeter, the output of a running bike should hover between 12.5 and 14 volts, try it both with hi beams on and off. If it goes higher than 14 volts, your regulator is likely shot. If it dips below 12 volts your stator is likely shot. Be sure to measure standing battery output as well (bike off, should be around 12.2 volts). If it's lower and the charging system checks out, you likely have an open circuit going to ground. Switch the ammeter to measure OHM's, and measure the resistance at each ground point. Do this by placing one lead on the ground and the other on the engine case, you should get a reading of 0 resistance. If not, you have a bad ground there.

I'm sure there's much more that can be implied by the symptoms I mentioned above, but in most cases what I outlined is a decent starting point.
    An over charge condition ie: regulator not regulating 15.5v or higher @ 5000rpm will also discharge and damage cells in the battery.
    Last edited by baked; 10-24-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Suzuki had insufficient R/R's back 25 yrs ago.

Are there still issues with these newer models?
    One bike isn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercaholic View Post

I have a 13 yr old Suzuki GSX-R750 regulator with over 99,999 kms on it and it's never charged me wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by Mercaholic View Post

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    I have a 13 yr old Suzuki GSX-R750 regulator with over 99,999 kms on it and it's never charged me wrong....
    what i've found is that the parts, stator/rectifier don't fail, but the connecting plugs fail.

if the parts are all within factory specs, you can hard wire the plugs or replace it with a better plug and not have any issues.

Sorry for the lack of response. I broke my ribs on friday in hockey and have been having trouble breathing, but im back on my feet now. I have got nowhere on my bike since my initial post. I will be sure to update this thread with what the problem is now that i have a tonne of new info to work with.

Obviously ill start with all the tests first, then checkout my rec and wires and ground. I actually have taken a lot in from this thread so thanks to all who spelled it out for me.

I didnt know where to start at first and know i have a number of things to look into, so thank you.

Hello, and thanks again for all your input....

i sent my bike to kneedragger88 to probe and test, i just wanted to update you with the results....

Turns out the STATOR was burnt/fried in one area...it caused all kinds of random output and testing the electrical system was somewhat "whacky" as the results would vary with the AC output

Anyways, long story short....stator somehow got fried, in turn, fried my battery, and created all kinds of issues with signals and lights etc...

Big shout to Ken for all his help and incredible service....all i can say is thank God there is someone like Ken in this world to help us amateurs out !

And thx to everyone else too!

looks like your ride is parked in a condo......

used to....pay for storage now