G driving experience does not affect your motorcycle premium?

Thread: G driving experience does not affect your motorcycle premium?

G driving experience does not affect your motorcycle premium?

I have seen a lot of people on this site talk about the fact that they have been driving a car for "x" number of years when asking questions about insurance.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was told that how long you have driven a car has no bearing on what your motorcycle premium will be.

Now of course if you have tickets, or accidents as a G driver it would affect your premium.

This is what my broker told me years ago. I was boasting about my perfect driving record for the previous 7 years and he basically said "and how many of those years were you riding a motorcycle"? he went on to tell me that if you have an M1 they treat you like you have never driven any type of vehicle.
    2009 Vespa LX150 - Gave to the ex
    2011 CBR 250RA - Riding

Re: G driving experience does not affect your motorcycle premium?

Some companies care, some don't. For instance, State farm needs 5 years of any license before they write bike insurance.

Your broker was correct for the companies they represent. To the best of my knowledge, no insurance companies, with the exception of State Farm, consider your prior car experience when setting rates for your motorcycle. For most companies, they track a separate driving record (i.e. number of years at-fault claims free) for your car and for your bike; State Farm on the other hand uses a single car/motorcycle driving record.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

I used to own a small taxi fleet in Mississauga.
    I decided to get out of the business when my wife died.

I went to the same company that had my cabs for insurance... for 17 years.
    I was told I was a new driver. My 20 years of driving a cab, in the GTA, with a GOLDEN record, was not applicable.
    They wanted more for my private car (PL/PD only) than a taxi policy (full coverage) would have cost me.