Cost of a Trackday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of a Trackday

Cost of a Trackday

Hello all,
    I'm seriously considering buying a dedicated track bike next season, probably from the US. Of course I'd attend FAST first, to make sure its all that its worked up to be.
    I'm just curious as you how much the cost of a single track day is, with admission, fuel, tires, and other misc. costs.

I'm just trying to make sure that I'm not in over my head.
    Thanks.

Note: Are there are leagues in southern Ontario that would be worth joining as well?

Re: Cost of a Trackday

Trackdays range from a little over $100 for a small track, to about $200 for Mosport, and even more for Mt. Tremblant. Now figure in Gas, and if you are using race compound tires you will use up about $100 worth in tires each day. I average about $300 - $350 a day. You can get away without the race tires though so the cost drops alot then.

Admission: rough estimate is anywhere from $125 to over $200 depending on the track, the organization, the day of the week, whether you pre-register or not, etc.

Fuel: consider that you'll need at least one and a half tanks of fuel, again depending on the track, but also how many sessions you ride, how fast you ride, etc.

Tires: if you're just starting out, you should be able to get about 6 days on a set of street tires (something like pilot power 2 CTs or diablo corsas). Street tires is all you really need for starting out....plenty of grip. I used them for my first 2 seasons (about 18 trackdays in total).

Other costs: Trailer (if you don't have one), gas for your car to pull the trailer, leather suit, back protector, gloves (gauntlet style not street style), boots, approved helmet (DOT and SNELL 2000 or 2001 I think??), tools to take to the track, etc.

The fixed costs are mainly the "other costs" above and can make things expensive at first. Your first year is usually the most expensive, then it's not so bad........until you start going faster and going through tires quicker, gas, etc.

It's a lot of fun and worth every penny, but you'll need to save all your pennies.............oh yeah, crashing is expensive too.

I found that for my first bunch of trackdays I was really easy on tires. I started off with a set of Pirelli slicks, SC2 rear/SC1 front, that lasted 9 trackdays. 2 Bogie, 1 Mosport, 3 Grattan, 3 Fabi. This was on a GSX-R600 and by my 9th day I was running 1:12's on Fabi but the tires felt greasy and were sliding around A LOT!

So at $460 for the set divided by 9 trackdays, i'm at roughly $50 bucks in tires per trackday. Mind you as my pace has upped my tire life has gone down! I find it helps when you're smoooooooooooooth....

If you're interested in racing check out http://www.soaracing.ca/
    Last edited by RichardTPC; 10-19-2009 at 09:06 PM.

The costs as a new track rider will be relatively low, admission, fuel and tire wear will be very little. But once the addiction gets more serious and the need for speed increases, the cost can get pretty high. The cost of suspension, brakes, and engine upgrades plus about 30 litres of C12 race fuel at $100, I get 1 track day out of a set of super corsa race scrubs($150), plus tire heaters at $400, plus generator $2000 plus generator fuel, spares and so on, thats it I don't want to know any more lol. But trust me it's worth every penny, and would skip a few meals if I had to to make it happen. Oh and just bought a new R6 motor for next season, I just try not to add it all up.

...Then you crash....
    2011 R.A.C.E. Middleweight Twins Champion
    www.bulletmotoracing.com
    Thanks to: Motovan, Durham Top Quality Collision, Hindle exhausts, OGK Kabuto Helmets, Vortex Racing, Impact Safe-T-Armor, Suzuki of Newmarket and Orion Motorsports

lol you just can't put a price tag on fun!!!!

All I know is ...lots. I think I'm in the range of around 3-5G's for tires..but that's racing as well as trackdays....then entrys...crash damage...etc...etc....sigh...come on lotto max !!
    You May Wheelie Me Down The Road....But I'll Stuff Ya In That Corner Every Time.......

R.A.C.E. AM #16
    S.O.A.R. Nov #16

www.puretrackdays.com

A big thanks to my sponsors: Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd., Brooklin Cycle Racing, Pure Trackdays Inc., Z1 Cycletech, Bickle Racing, Hindle Exhaust Systems, Armour Bodies, Accelerated Technologies., Don Butt Autobody, North American Decal.

Great replies. Thanks everyone!

Aside from spares, food and whatnot, what else do you guys normally bring along? Canopies for shade? Chairs? Are tire warmers a good investment? I can't really think of anything else.

bbq, stove, tools, music, camera, fire wood, refreshments.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    bbq, stove, tools, music, camera, fire wood, refreshments.
    Sounds like fun. Do you get a few people together to bring these things?

get a canopy for sure, you'll be a fried if you dont get one, especially at shannonville. dont worry about warmers quite yet,

see whether you like it for a season, then think about warmers. warmers are great but not essential for a starter.

a little toolbox is really handy too.

a good socket set plus a variety of screw drivers, pliers, zip ties, duct tape, air pressure gauge, some variety of nuts and bolts, hammer, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboy View Post
    Great replies. Thanks everyone!

Aside from spares, food and whatnot, what else do you guys normally bring along? Canopies for shade? Chairs? Are tire warmers a good investment? I can't really think of anything else.
    Best advice I got was to bring as much hydration as I thought I could drink in a day, and then double it. I also took a folding chair, rain gear and umbrella, bungee cords, duct tape, tie wraps, JB Weld, and a few basic tools. Trail mix for lunch.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff-9 View Post
    get a canopy for sure, you'll be a fried if you dont get one, especially at shannonville.
    I would have though Shanny least of all. Can't you just stay under the grandstands for shelter?
    There is no planet B.

another thing to consider... i still sometimes get the butterflies in the morning. i get them less and less often but it still happens occasionally. when i do have them i find that i don't have an appetite for breakfast but Carnation instant breakfast shakes are good.

i'll grab a 4-pack before every track or race weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    I would have though Shanny least of all. Can't you just stay under the grandstands for shelter?
    depends which shanny config, and if you get there in time before the spots under the grandstand are taken

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    another thing to consider... i still sometimes get the butterflies in the morning. i get them less and less often but it still happens occasionally. when i do have them i find that i don't have an appetite for breakfast but Carnation instant breakfast shakes are good.

i'll grab a 4-pack before every track or race weekend.
    I'm finally able to keep food down and not throw up at track days anymore. Well....at least not during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    I'm finally able to keep food down and not throw up at track days anymore. Well....at least not during the day.
    And you were going on about Sandwiches... hah!
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    And you were going on about Sandwiches... hah!
    I still make the best sammiches. They just taste better the first time.