H1N1 Vaccine - are you getting one? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Will you get the H1N1 Vaccine?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, getting it.

36 21.30%
  • Nope, not getting it.

106 62.72%
  • Not sure.

24 14.20%
  • Don't need it, already had confirmed H1N1.

3 1.78%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: H1N1 Vaccine - are you getting one?

Re: H1N1 Vaccine - are you getting one?

While not applicable to this virus specifically, but more to vaccinations in general:

Having lived in and traveled in many poor third world countries, I saw first hand the importance of vaccinations.

When you see someone suffer from hep a, hep b, tetanus, typhoid, yellow fever, etc etc... all because they didn't get a vaccination - it is quite sad. It is wasn't always the poor locals either - I lived with a Scottish woman in Indonesia who managed to get Hep A and Typhoid at the same time because she neglected to get vaccinated for either. I witnessed her suffer through two months of hell before breaking her contract and going home to Scotland.

Here is a list of vaccine preventable diseases: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/im/vpd-mev/index-eng.php

In my younger days I was vaccinated against nearly every thing you could be... when I was an infantry soldier the army pumped pretty much everything into us. Whatever they didn't vaccinate me for I got done later before travelling to South America and SE Asia - I never had any adverse effect to any immunization.

I think I will get the H1N1 vaccine. The very small chance of having a reaction from the vaccine is a better option to me than the larger chance of getting the flu for a week or two, even if it is not likely to greatly harm me (it could harm some of my friends and family though - and I wouldn't want the guilt of being indirectly responsible for someone else's misery)...
    Last edited by Chuck U. Farlie; 10-21-2009 at 02:01 PM.
    Just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean that you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you! (Dara O'Briain)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck U. Farlie View Post
    I think I will get the H1N1 vaccine. The very small chance of having a reaction from the vaccine is a better option to me than the larger chance of getting the flu for a week or two, even if it is not likely to greatly harm me (it could harm some of my friends and family though - and I wouldn't want the guilt of being indirectly responsible for someone else's misery)...
    This is my exact position on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck U. Farlie View Post
    I agree with your points, but can Hepatitis A or B be compared to H1N1? Aside from the fact that both can be fatal, I don't think "we" understand H1N1 enough to create a vaccination with a prooven track record, like "we" have with Hep.

Hepatitis vaccination seems like a no-brainer to me, but H1N1 somehow doesn't... I don't know why. Perhaps it's because I think the flu shot is a POS.

I've heard that if you got last year's flu vaccination, you are MORE likely to get the most recent string of H1N1? Can anyone confirm that, or has anyone heard similar?

Quote Originally Posted by HOT4REDD77 View Post
    I'm torn on what to do. I work at a hospital and they are encouraging all staff to get the vaccine. I'm leaning towards not getting it, but I'm still not sure.

I'm not getting it and I work in a hospital. They encourage if you work around patients and are at higher risk. SOO, depending on what you do should give a better understanding of what you choose to do. Your body, not theirs. Not because they encourage it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chuck U. Farlie

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    This is my exact position on it.
    But if all the vaccine does is make the symptoms less severe or last a shorter time than are you not still going to get sick and infect other people and they will still have H1N1 at the end of the day?

Quote Originally Posted by roadtoruin View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chuck U. Farlie

But if all the vaccine does is make the symptoms less severe or last a shorter time than are you not still going to get sick and infect other people and they will still have H1N1 at the end of the day?
    And not getting the vacine will have it last longer and give a longer period for you to infect others or lose paid days off or whatever your situation is.

Its not like getting the vaccine is coming out of your pocket. So why not get it? If all it does is make the symtoms less sever (isn't that good?) and last a shorter time (isn't that good?) then why not get it?

^^ Because giving yourself the vaccine guarantees you will feel some effects of the flu, as thats what the vaccine is, a weaker less potent strain so you immune system gets a chance to see what the flu looks like so IF you get in contact with the actual strain it can stand a better chance.

thing is, who says you will 100% get in contact with the flu, and who says that your bodies immune system isnt already strong enough to deal with it?

my biggest problem with the H1N1 vaccine is that its a rushed product that hasnt been fully tested yet.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    And not getting the vacine will have it last longer and give a longer period for you to infect others or lose paid days off or whatever your situation is.

Its not like getting the vaccine is coming out of your pocket. So why not get it? If all it does is make the symtoms less sever (isn't that good?) and last a shorter time (isn't that good?) then why not get it?

But, as I understand it, you are most infectious before you develop the symptoms which seems like the vaccine would do little from preventing you from spreading the flu. Just saying, I don't see the guilt of infecting others as a reason to get the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
    ^^ Because giving yourself the vaccine guarantees you will feel some effects of the flu, as thats what the vaccine is, a weaker less potent strain so you immune system gets a chance to see what the flu looks like so IF you get in contact with the actual strain it can stand a better chance.

thing is, who says you will 100% get in contact with the flu, and who says that your bodies immune system isnt already strong enough to deal with it?

my biggest problem with the H1N1 vaccine is that its a rushed product that hasnt been fully tested yet.
    If your body is strong enough to fight it then you shouldn't feel the effects of a vaccine. The fact that people do is a strong indicator that people aren't as 'strong' as they think they are.

There is no guarentee that you will get in contact with the flu. I have car insurance but there is no guarentee that I will be in a crash. Even if it wasn't manditory I would still carry car insurance... wouldn't you?

I agree with how rushed it is was a concern for me but at the same time the worst thing that could come of it is that it doesn't work and I am just as likely to get the flu like anyone else.

Last year I did not get the flu shot and was the most sick I have been any year in the past. I personally think a lot of people experience with better health when not getting the flu shot is based on increased vigilance and hygene because they aren't relying on a flu shot to help them out. Kind of like how much more tame I tend to ride when I ride squid (not that I'm a hooligan anyway).

Also who the hell knows what's in it and what the long term effects are. Well at leas we know one thing that is in it -
    H1N1 Flu Vaccine Will Contain Mercury

I havent bothered to read the rest of this thread .. but .. i will be getting both shots this year.
    Being in emergency services and dealing directly first hand with people who have the flu or H1N1 is a must.

Trust you me, id rather have the shot than to deal with that in your system.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post

From my understanding, a vaccine is not a weakened less potent strain... it is the actual strain that has been killed... sometimes with a saline solution, for example - so you are basically presenting your immune system with a corpse so it knows what to watch for.

The nasal spray form of the vaccine, however, is a live but weakened bit of the H1N1 virus.

Regarding your fears that it has been rushed... the truth is it hasn't... it is the same as the hundreds of millions of flu shots produced every year:

In fact, everything about the vaccine is just like the seasonal flu shot, which has been administered to hundreds of millions of people. "It's a new virus, but the vaccine is made the exact same way," Dr. Bruce Gellin, director of the National Vaccine Program Office at HHS, told us. The regular seasonal flu vaccine is a mix of the three viruses experts predict will be most likely to cause problems in a given year. But it's only an accident of timing that H1N1 is not included in this year's batches of regular flu vaccine. Had the H1N1 virus shown up several months earlier, Gellin told us, it's "very likely" that it would have been a component of the seasonal vaccine. Instead, there's a separate H1N1 vaccine, but it's otherwise no different. And just like the seasonal flu vaccine, it's been clinically tested and approved by the FDA.
    This latter quote comes from http://www.newsweek.com/id/218513/page/1 ... a good page that discusses a lot of the vaccine misinformation.
    Just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean that you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you! (Dara O'Briain)

Alright Farlie how much is the big pharm payin' ya!

Also who the hell knows what's in it and what the long term effects are. Well at leas we know one thing that is in it -
    From the article I posted above:

For instance, we've heard from people concerned about the vaccine containing thimerosal, a preservative that contains mercury and that has long been the subject of suspicion without a lot of scientific support. FDA regulations prevent adding thimerosal to primarily pediatric vaccines. The H1N1 vaccine is not specifically formulated for children, and the multidose version – but not the single-dose version – does contain thimerosal. However, the CDC stresses that even flu vaccines with thimerosal should pose no danger to children.

The thimerosal anxiety stems from the fact that it contains ethyl mercury, which is related to the type of mercury (methyl mercury) that can be harmful in food. Thimerosal was removed from pediatric vaccines mainly as a precautionary measure – a 1999 FDA review found that most children's mercury exposure from thimerosal-containing vaccines would be well within the guidelines for methyl mercury, and ethyl mercury may be less likely to affect the brain, especially in the dosage one would get from a vaccine. But the move to phase out thimerosal piqued concern from some parents and activists, who posited a link between mercury in vaccines and developmental disorders like autism.

And so will a lot of things you put in your body on a daily basis. the important thing is not that there is mercury but the concentration in relation to your yearly exposure levels and if they fall into safe levels.

Alright Farlie how much is the big pharm payin' ya!
    I wish... I could use some extra cash!

If I get the H1N1 vaccine or not,.. we will see when the time comes. I've only gotten the flu shot alone once but I can’t recall if I got the flu that year. If I got it or not, I am quite healthy and my immune system will take care of it otherwise. I am a clean freak, always washing my hands and when opening doors I try to do it with my sleeves or anything as long as my hands are not making direct contact with the object. I used to take the GO Train to union station and then the subway to work since I worked downtown, this was at the very beginning when the H1N1 started and I would literally cover up every inch of me that was exposed, the media was just scaring me with all the people who were dying and such. There was a debate this morning AGAIN on the radio and It was mentioned that those who were getting the H1N1 were mainly young healthy woman, then they said it was the pregnant woman, and then the woman who smoke…. These are the main group of people who need to have the vaccine as soon as possible….. what group of woman will be next.
    "Keep talking, someday you'll say something intelligent."

-"-J:Old B**** hating on me cus Im purdy so my
    spelin is all she can go off bout.
    -K:Why do you spell that way then
    -J: Because it da only way she will get a
    confidence booster and so she can feel better
    of her self, shes dying of old age."

Oh my god, tell me this is not true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEN5K...layer_embedded
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Oh my god, tell me this is not true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEN5K...layer_embedded

True. They apparently believe that there was some underlying issue with the woman, and getting the shot brought it to light.

Quote Originally Posted by koFFey View Post
    True. They apparently believe that there was some underlying issue with the woman, and getting the shot brought it to light.
    That is most likely what it was, we all react differently to the things that we are exposed to. It's unbelievable that this happened but glad that there is hope for recovery.

The comments on the YouTube link are pretty nasty too.
    "Keep talking, someday you'll say something intelligent."

-"-J:Old B**** hating on me cus Im purdy so my
    spelin is all she can go off bout.
    -K:Why do you spell that way then
    -J: Because it da only way she will get a
    confidence booster and so she can feel better
    of her self, shes dying of old age."