just had a small highside on the 401 - Page 3

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: just had a small highside on the 401

Re: just had a small highside on the 401

Quote Originally Posted by mr.fizz View Post
    thnx for the tips and good wishes folks yeah can't wait to heal up

edit: hmmm... does anyone think stronger brakes would be better? my front brakes only have 2 pistons. sometimes it feels like it takes forever to stop lol.
    You should just get some EBC HH Brake pads for the front, first...

Also, I don't know why nobody has said it yet, but riding with 2 fingers on the front brake lever will cut your reaction time down significantly.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgY View Post
    nothing to debate
    you're out, brian's in
    end of discussion
    Yep ... the man knows his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    You should just get some EBC HH Brake pads for the front, first...

Also, I don't know why nobody has said it yet, but riding with 2 fingers on the front brake lever will cut your reaction time down significantly.
    I call BS on both of your points.

sooooo..... it was a perfectly nice sunny day out today in toronto. temp about 10 C. went riding with two buddies. i was in front we were going straight at about 100-120kph in the fast lane. this van 1 car ahead of me decided to turn into the express merge lane the LAST MINUTE (no... MICRO SECOND). he couldn't make it and stopped 2 feet in front of the guardrail (those water barrels) on the shoulder. the car in front of me had to slam on the brakes. i was keeping about 2 sec distance in between. i went hard on the brakes but knew wasn't gonna stop in time. swerved in my own lane and slowed to about 20kph before my bike went sideways and threw me off (but finally stopped in time). with my sidi boots i still got a sore foot. without them probably a broken ankle for sure. and bruised right hip.

somehow the handlebar hit the gas tank and left a small dent. right side pod is smashed. right footpeg snapped off (riding home with one foot hanging in the air felt weird lol). my givi engine guard is slightly bent but saved the engine and frame from any damage.

ride safe guys
    Hey there young'un (I'm making an assumption here). Please, please be carefull out there. You're having more than your fair share of face plants and I'd hate to read that you were seriously hurt. Slow down, keep your head up and your eyes open..........and THINK!
    Motley

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Why 90/10 for a sport bike??
    I would imagine because the dynamic weight distribution under hard braking is in the range of 90% weight over the front wheel & maybe 10% over the rear. At absolute maximum, the back wheel isn't in constant contact with the pavement. Very hard to modulate variances caused by a skipping or hopping rear wheel due to pavement irregularities like bumps, seams, etc. Best to devote your inputs to front brake modulation as this generally takes up one's full attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Ditto.

And a ditto ditto to everyone who expressed the "this guy is accident prone" sentiment.

Fizz.........are you starting to think now that it might be you? I sure hope so because I'd hate to see you get into a big wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by froghammer View Post
    Ditto.

And a ditto ditto to everyone who expressed the "this guy is accident prone" sentiment.

Fizz.........are you starting to think now that it might be you? I sure hope so because I'd hate to see you get into a big wreck.
    sure i know i'm always partially responsible

sure i know i'm always partially responsible
    more like 100%. In this case, anyway.

This accident was rider error. Nothing else to discuss.

I don't want to slam on the OP and wish all the best recovering.

If you were two seconds behind the car, you should have stopped no problem, a bike stops faster then a car, or I should say, it takes less distance for a bike to stop then a car.

Better pads, braided lines etc.. would not have helped you, the only thing that would have is being more attentive and experience.

Your buddies did not high side right, I dont know how close you guys were riding but did the 10 feet( I assume) that you were in front really make that much of a difference. I think you grabed to much front back and went over or you locked up the rear and let go while grabing the front. Those are the only two ways I could see you highsiding.

Wouldnt you have been able to just lane split those cars or just go into the other lane? Cause I have been in that situation before and in the cases I couldnt stop safely, I just lane split.

Quote Originally Posted by twinn View Post
    a bike stops faster then a car, or I should say, it takes less distance for a bike to stop then a car.
    that is debatable got any scientific data to back that up? i'm curious

Quote Originally Posted by twinn View Post
    Wouldnt you have been able to just lane split those cars or just go into the other lane? Cause I have been in that situation before and in the cases I couldnt stop safely, I just lane split.
    every situation is different. what worked for you may not work for someone else. lane splitting increases the risk of getting run over on the hwy.

no, it's not at all debatable

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    no, it's not at all debatable
    i suppose it is just because you say it is.

edit: car = 4 brakes, 4 tires, heavier, ABS, way bigger contact patch than a bike. how can someone just blatantly say ohhh bikes brake faster just because it's lighter? quite an ignorant statement.
    Last edited by mr.fizz; 10-19-2009 at 03:55 PM.

edit: car = 4 brakes, 4 tires, heavier, ABS, way bigger contact patch than a bike. how can someone just blatantly say ohhh bikes brake faster just because it's lighter? quite an ignorant statement.
    is this guy for real?

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    is this guy for real?
    well, why don't you show us how smart you are by posting some stats? or are you just too cool for that too.

I don;t have any scientific data, its based on my experience.

Honestly man, there is no debate, start another thread on here and have some of the older guys that have been racing for years chime in, there going to tell you that a bike will stop faster then a car.

I only suggested lane splitting as a way to avoid the highside, if you are aware of your surroundings, then go for it, but DO NOT LANE SPLIT if you are even 1% unsure about it being open.

A lot of time accidents are rider error, no worries, it happens to all of us, live and learn man thats all i am saying.

Any modern day sport bike will stop faster than the average car out on the road, now put that same stock bike up against a true race/performance car, it's gonna be close but the car will usually stop in slightly less distance.

Next spring after you heal up take your bike out to an large open parking lot, get the bike up to about 140 and practice coming to a dead stop, keep practicing, when you get good the rear tire should be just about floating. You'd be amazed at just how natural it comes to you after you've practiced for the real thing.

As for the comments about brake pads, lines, etc... They make no difference in an emergency stop, stock components are more than capable of locking up the front/rear wheels, hence your getting all the one time braking power you can handle...
    SOAR Novice #113

Quote Originally Posted by froghammer View Post
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    What? Why?

How could you say that having your hand on the brake does not give you a faster reaction time???
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

i'm just a normal/average rider who loves to ride. i got nothing to prove. unlike some people here (won't name names). thnx again for all the tips sure, an experienced racer with a top of the line sport bike perform better braking on the track/controlled environment. the same results can't be duplicated on city roads with dirty surfaces, cold temperatures, other cars and etc.

there seems to be a lot of hindsight biases on this board contributed by a few members. no one here is casey stoner or vale rossi with perfect brake/clutch/throttle control. and yet they seems to know exactly the right thing to do in an emergency situation.

some people on this board seem to be so uptight about everything. take the internet so personal. they gain satisfaction by criticizing other people.

i'm outta here. take care folks.

Compare the momentum of a car with a bike....we can make this easier too...compare how a transport truck stops at speed with how a car stops at speed.....wait there's more....a small speedboat and an ocean liner.....etc etc.