Suspension setup in GTA?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension setup in GTA?

Question Suspension setup in GTA?

Hey guys.. I just got new Ohlins shock and forks and I need to get my suspension retuned for my weight etc. for track / street duty. Does anyone know of any Suspension setup seminars or anyone in the GTA who is knowledgeable about track suspension?

Anyone know of anyone at mosport/cayuga/shanonville that are track savvy and know how to setup suspension properly?

I havent tried any shops like riderschoice yet...any experiences?

Thanks
    MadLz

Re: Suspension setup in GTA?

I do it all the time at Cayuga
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=100512

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by madlz View Post
    Hey guys.. I just got new Ohlins shock and forks and I need to get my suspension retuned for my weight etc. for track / street duty. Does anyone know of any Suspension setup seminars or anyone in the GTA who is knowledgeable about track suspension?

Anyone know of anyone at mosport/cayuga/shanonville that are track savvy and know how to setup suspension properly?

Thanks
    MadLz
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

Thanks
    MadLz
    At most track days youll find a suspension guru .. ive seen John Sharrad from accelerated technologies. Or you could try Ryan at Riders Choice ... i had him set up my street bike.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Ryan at Riders Choice is one of the Best Ohlins Tuners in the country

thanks for the quick replies..

how much is it for Ryan to tune your suspension?

I just read up Donald is about 15 bucks is it around the same or does he go by the hour etc?

thanks for the quick replies..

how much is it for Ryan to tune your suspension?

I just read up Donald is about 15 bucks is it around the same or does he go by the hour etc?
    Ryan's in around 40-50, you just spend a pretty mint on that nice suspension the least you can do is spend a little more for a pro to set it up. I'd say spend the money on somebody like Ryan and then head over to a Cayuga event, see if you like it, if you think it could be better than work on it between session with Donald to get it just to your liking. Pretty hard to get it perfect at the shop, but Ryan can certainly give you an excellent baseline and Donald for fine tuning, see best of both worlds...

As a side note I don't know if others have notice this: John's setups tend to be really stiff and basically the bike is setup for pro level riders, where as Ryan's tends to be a little softer which seems perfect for your average trackday / am racer. This is just what I've notice from the feedback of a few riders... Anybody else notice this?
    SOAR Novice #113

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    John's setups tend to be really stiff and basically the bike is setup for pro level riders, where as Ryan's tends to be a little softer which seems perfect for your average trackday / am racer. This is just what I've notice from the feedback of a few riders... Anybody else notice this?
    +1

His set up worked awesome when he set it up at Bogie for me. And he helped me sort out an issue I was having with my front forks so really really nice guy and knows what he is doing.

It Just didn't really work out at well for me at TMP. I noticed I had to be super super smooth with my inputs and the slightest jerky hamfisted input was amplified and really made the bike feel unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawaz View Post
    +1

His set up worked awesome when he set it up at Bogie for me. And he helped me sort out an issue I was having with my front forks so really really nice guy and knows what he is doing.

It Just didn't really work out at well for me at TMP. I noticed I had to be super super smooth with my inputs and the slightest jerky hamfisted input was amplified and really made the bike feel unstable.
    You just suck at riding! Jokes!
    SOAR Novice #113

You just suck at riding! Jokes!
    shhhh... don't say it so loud.
    Maybe hot chicks will hear.. then they won't be as imprssed with my facebook pics.

When John setup my bike at Bogie he made it very clear it was tweaked for the smooth track. He told me if I go to TMP or SMP I should open up the rebound half a turn to help deal with the bumps. I thought it was pretty good of him given how much of a newb I am with suspension.
    there is no spoon

Suspension tuners are only as good as their availability.
    If you go to another track you should expect to have to change things. The faster you go,which getting your suspension set will help, the more suspension tuning you will need. The faster you go the more you will need finer tuning.
    Suspension set-up is not a simple deal .Don't ever go any faster and you will be set for life!! The faster you go the more it changes and the more it changes to your riding style. If you do different tracks then take notes of what set-up works at one track and another. It'll save you money and grief!
    Sharrard has done Picotte's ,Szoke and Crevier's suspension and rides a lot on the track. He can tell you where the bumps are!

+1

But in relation to the last time you were at TMP ,,Did you go faster?

Quote Originally Posted by john bickle View Post
    But in relation to the last time you were at TMP ,,Did you go faster?
    Its hard to say because I had never ridden that bike at TMP before and it was only my second time running that bike ever.

At the end of the day once I was very comfortable with the bike I think I was running much faster than I was with my R1, but I wasn't timing myself so I don't know.

I did notice that I had to be much much smoother with my inputs than I did with my R1, once I did that the bike behaved a lot better and the "pogoing" wasn't an issue. I know I should always be smooth but its just that he R6 at those setting seemed A LOT more sensetive than the R1 on Ryans settings. Not sure if its how he set the suspension or just the difference between the R1 and the R6.

All in all what he worked on the bike at Bogie was magic and that is what he was supposed to do, not set up the bike for TMP. I hope nobody gets the impression that I am complaining, I was very very happy with the job he did.

Chances are,, you are riding the R6 much more agressively then the R1.
    Having learned throttle control,,or disipline on the R1. You can now be just a bit more aggressive and comfortable on the 6. So now you're feeling what the bike is or isn't doing for you!
    Once you enter this level,saddly or not you now need to set the bike up for tracks. You really can't get a one setting fits all and be happy.
    Which goes back to "how accessable is your tuner"
    The up side is you now know what "good is" so you can explain "bad".
    Rather then "Well,, I'm not sure,, it just doesn't work."
    As well ,smoothness is something that improves with seat time. A smooth rider can make nearly any set-up work.
    Last edited by john bickle; 10-16-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by john bickle View Post
    As well ,smoothness is something that improves with seat time. A smooth rider can make any set-up work.
    Couldn't agree with you more on this one, I was at TMP on Sat/Sun and actually learn something new!

If you come into turn 1 and turn 2 and drop it down to 2nd gear the bike will have allot more engine braking, meaning you can use the brakes less, smoother on the suspension, which eventually lead to using the brakes the same as before (hard) and now going in that much deeper, it only took me 25 TMP track/race days to figure that out! LOL Slow learner...

Plus now I'm already in the gear I wanna be in going through the infield, if only I had learn this sooner I may have saved myself a crash in turn 2 caused by bottoming out. Lesson learnt, don't be afraid to beat that bike, keep the revs up!!!
    SOAR Novice #113

Banned

One of the best fork guys in the 3rd spiral arm of the friggen Milky Way!

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Ryan at Riders Choice is one of the Best Ohlins Tuners in the country

Where were you downshifting before?
    After turn 2?
    I thought everybody downshifted before turn two then just kept it there until after the carosel. (maybe upshifting really breifly before the chicanes and then going back down after the fist chicane..

hmmm do i sense a new thread "where do you guys shift at TMP" coming on?

Couldn't agree with you more on this one, I was at TMP on Sat/Sun and actually learn something new!

If you come into turn 1 and turn 2 and drop it down to 2nd gear the bike will have allot more engine braking, meaning you can use the brakes less, smoother on the suspension, which eventually lead to using the brakes the same as before (hard) and now going in that much deeper, it only took me 25 TMP track/race days to figure that out! LOL Slow learner...

Plus now I'm already in the gear I wanna be in going through the infield, if only I had learn this sooner I may have saved myself a crash in turn 2 caused by bottoming out. Lesson learnt, don't be afraid to beat that bike, keep the revs up!!!

After turn 2?
    I thought everybody downshifted before turn two then just kept it there until after the carosel. (maybe upshifting really breifly before the chicanes and then going back down after the fist chicane..
    +1

I stay in the same gear entering turn two and then right through the infield (except near the chicanes)
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

After turn 2?

hmmm do i sense a new thread "where do you guys shift at TMP" coming on?
    Ya we all think we've got it figured out and were all doing it the same! Some do the infield in 2nd, some in third, hell Rupert on the 1K might even be doing the infield in 1st. Might be a good thread... Allot of it comes down to the bike and gearing, so kind of a pointless thread, but have at it...
    SOAR Novice #113

4 shifts on the front straight, 2 shifts on the back straight. That's it.