$100 Oil Change - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $100 Oil Change

Re: $100 Oil Change

Quote Originally Posted by Hachi-Roku View Post
    $100 is cheap
    NO!! I'll give you cheap: 20 litre pail of 15/40 diesel grade oil @ $57 taxes in.
    10 pack'o filters via 'net: $45 delivered
    On my bike that's enough oil for 9 changes + one(1) filter

Depends the quality of the stuff.

Just bought my bike this spring and my first inspection was 120$ including the oil change but for the winter storage I bought the following. Price includes taxes.

4L of Motul 5100: 32$
    KAWA OEM Oil Filter: 8$
    2 O-Rings : 5$

And a one time purchases:

Bike Stands : 145$
    Torque Wrench: 25$

So 45$ for the oil change and 170$ for things to do it properly. I need 2L so i'll only have to buy the filter and rings next time. 100$ is only a steal if you're to lazy to do it. If your not confident enough or don't have time to then I guess it's decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSavant View Post
    This is going to make into someone's signature

For those of us that do our own maintenance good for us but we shouldn't belittle those who choose to have someone else do it. Some people just don't want to do it and it has nothing to do with lazy or skills or time. They just plain old don't want to learn how to do it and would rather pay a shop half hour labour, and I don't think there is anything wrong with people making that decision.
    STIG 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    For those of us that do our own maintenance good for us but we shouldn't belittle those who choose to have someone else do it.
    Dang, I went back over the thread just to find the belittling. Couldn't find it.
    I don't change the oil in the car for the very reasons you stated.
    "Can't we all just get along"? Rodney King

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    How do you figure? Several people have already broken down the parts and labour in this thread.

Dealers don't use Rotella.
    Have you not figured it out yet, Lots of seriously cheap people on GTAM

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    Have you not figured it out yet, Lots of seriously cheap people on GTAM
    Cheap? Well on stromtrooper Rotella is highly recommended for V-Stroms as a synthetic oil. I could have bought Mobil 1 for $32 / gallon but opted for the Rotella given the comments about it.

my last bike i had it down to a science - ex 500

20L pale of rotella 15-40 $60 - so $12 for oil for one change and then purolator oil filter $5

new bike 636 i figured i would give her a little more love though i still question if its worth the extra money

$40 for motol 5100 and the purolaor filter again, i stocked up on filters when i was in the states

i see that riders choice has the motol for $33 bucks while gp bikes is $38 sale price

i am going to stock up when i have the cage out there one day

Yeah, looking for a 4L of Motul, I confirmed one thing. Never buy at a shop that also sells bikes. I guess to make up profits, they hike the prices of other things. So at the dealer/shop it was 49.99 and at an independant parts shop here, 28.99 for the bottle. 21$ difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSavant View Post
    This is going to make into someone's signature

For those of us that do our own maintenance good for us but we shouldn't belittle those who choose to have someone else do it. Some people just don't want to do it and it has nothing to do with lazy or skills or time. They just plain old don't want to learn how to do it and would rather pay a shop half hour labour, and I don't think there is anything wrong with people making that decision.
    I disagree. I've seen enough hack mechanics working at shops where they're pressured into doing work as fast as they can. I've seen enough people who don't care enough to do a good job. I've seen enough incompetence, enough laziness, enough screw-ups on simple jobs. I've seen wait times, upsells, ignorance, misinformation and general nonsense in shops.

I do all my own work. I'm proud of this. I've made mistakes, especially when I'm doing something for the first time, but I learn from it. And most importantly, there's nobody in the world that cares about doing as good a job working on my bike than me. To paraphrase someone smarter than me, "why pay someone to screw up my bike when I can do it for free?"

To be fair, I do have a shop that's earned my trust, and complex jobs I bring to them - for example a valve job on my 82 Seca I can do myself in a half hour while having a brew. A valve job on my FZ1, with it's 5 valves / cylinder, is a more complex job and one that I'll bring to the shop.

I wouldn't say that I look down on people who just hand their bike over to a shop for simple stuff, but I certainly don't understand those folks.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by oomis View Post
    I disagree. I've seen enough hack mechanics working at shops where they're pressured into doing work as fast as they can. I've seen enough people who don't care enough to do a good job. I've seen enough incompetence, enough laziness, enough screw-ups on simple jobs. I've seen wait times, upsells, ignorance, misinformation and general nonsense in shops.
    So what? This is your observation and does not in anyway justify you judging others for bringing their bike to a shop. How does this prove that their decision is a bad one, that you have any RIGHT to disagree with?

I do all my own work. I'm proud of this. I've made mistakes, especially when I'm doing something for the first time, but I learn from it. And most importantly, there's nobody in the world that cares about doing as good a job working on my bike than me. To paraphrase someone smarter than me, "why pay someone to screw up my bike when I can do it for free?"
    Good for you. Again why does this give you the right to judge others?

To be fair, I do have a shop that's earned my trust, and complex jobs I bring to them - for example a valve job on my 82 Seca I can do myself in a half hour while having a brew. A valve job on my FZ1, with it's 5 valves / cylinder, is a more complex job and one that I'll bring to the shop.
    So your OK with HANDing your bike over to a shop. I guarantee that there are shadetree mechanics here that would do their own valve adj. on an FZ1, do they have the right to judge you for HANDing your bike over. Hope your answer is yes.
    I wouldn't say that I look down on people who just hand their bike over to a shop for simple stuff, but I certainly don't understand those folks.
    Who are you kidding, the wording of that alone is you looking down on them and at the VERY VERY least judging them.

It's not for any of us to judge what others do with their bikes, their money, their time, their life etc etc etc.
    STIG 3.0

butters, self-appointed defender of the oppressed!
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    Where are you getting $30 labour for oil change because I want to take my Suzuki in for an oil change just so I can see how they do it. Than I'll do it myself from than on.
    Just go on youtube and type in "motorcycle oil change." Most maintenance chores are on there.

Wow, I got off lucky this year.
    I got two free boxes of Castrol oil from a friend who works there.
    I bought some cheap Genuine Honda filters from a guy on this site for 10 bucks a piece.

Four oil changes costed my 20 bucks.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

So what? This is your observation and does not in anyway justify you judging others for bringing their bike to a shop. How does this prove that their decision is a bad one, that you have any RIGHT to disagree with?

Good for you. Again why does this give you the right to judge others?

So your OK with HANDing your bike over to a shop. I guarantee that there are shadetree mechanics here that would do their own valve adj. on an FZ1, do they have the right to judge you for HANDing your bike over. Hope your answer is yes.

Who are you kidding, the wording of that alone is you looking down on them and at the VERY VERY least judging them.

It's not for any of us to judge what others do with their bikes, their money, their time, their life etc etc etc.
    I think you need to lighten up a bit! I didn't see anything judgemental in what he wrote. As far as I am concerned, he, like anyone else, can disagree if they feel like doing so.
    Last edited by GMAN; 11-05-2009 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    Dang, I went back over the thread just to find the belittling. Couldn't find it.
    I don't change the oil in the car for the very reasons you stated.
    "Can't we all just get along"? Rodney King
    \

I didn't find anything belittling in what you wrote.
    Last edited by GMAN; 11-05-2009 at 07:03 PM.

roletta t 4 liters about 35 tax included
    filters are 2-3 dollars if you buy em from the mechanic or buy on line in cases of 12

my total cost is less than 40 dollars.

last change used a 15 dollar filter so it costed me 50 total with the pure one filter.

going to check the k&n filters next time. or go back to the cheap o filters i sometimes get for free at the shop if the mechanic is already drunk when i ask.

labour you gotta add that in. usually like 40 -50 bucks so a $100 dollar oil change doesn't seem that bad. if you want to get your hands dirty then save the money and do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Low rider View Post
    Wow, I got off lucky this year.
    I got two free boxes of Castrol oil from a friend who works there.
    I bought some cheap Genuine Honda filters from a guy on this site for 10 bucks a piece.

Four oil changes costed my 20 bucks.
    who did you get the genuine honda filters from?i remember last season it was like $18-$20 for a filter from snow city. do this guy have alot instock? do you know?
    maybe everyone can post where and how much they got their stuff from and we'll all compare the deals for us smart spenders aka cheap scape lol
    03 VTX 1800C
    03 RC 51
    I love my twins...V twins

Quote Originally Posted by ironryder View Post
    who did you get the genuine honda filters from?i remember last season it was like $18-$20 for a filter from snow city. do this guy have alot instock? do you know?
    maybe everyone can post where and how much they got their stuff from and we'll all compare the deals for us smart spenders aka cheap scape lol
    if you want filters comparable to honda oem i would just go with mobile one k&n or the Purolator Pure Ones from Pannon Motorsports.

if you want filters half that cost or cheaper just use any other automotive filter.

OK I must be doing something wrong here....I think I'm paying $80+ for my 2006 636 and thats doing it myself........Whats the secret!

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    How do you figure? Several people have already broken down the parts and labour in this thread.

Dealers don't use Rotella.
    Remember he is also in the states where I would assume the price of an oil change is cheaper considering all of the products involved are cheaper down south.

Sure its not highway robbery but it seems a tad pricey for the states. Of course as always you vote with your money and in the end if you don't want to pay it then don't get the service.

I don't know why anyone doesn't do their own changes but I could see if you were on the road and didn't have the tools location. Of course I would never let a dealership know I was in a jam for a change on a trip or from out of town as I imagine prices rise a little when they know they have you in a pinch.