$100 Oil Change - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $100 Oil Change

Re: $100 Oil Change

Where are you getting $30 labour for oil change because I want to take my Suzuki in for an oil change just so I can see how they do it. Than I'll do it myself from than on.

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    Suzuki branded synthetic oil. Not sure if they are giving me the labour for free or not, but I don't argue with them. They break it down as $30 labour and $40 oil/filter. Guess it is a great deal.

Think I may do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by yettiman121 View Post
    ask an Altar boy to do it,

get both services, and save your money!
    Yatti, you are dirty. LMFAO

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    Where are you getting $30 labour for oil change because I want to take my Suzuki in for an oil change just so I can see how they do it. Than I'll do it myself from than on.
    pay me 30 bucks and i'll change the oil on your bike and explain what i'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    That is at Performance Specialties in Taylors, SC.

Quote Originally Posted by STARSHIP View Post
    But your church makes allowances for "happy endings" ?
    Yes we do, just not as part of a sermon or worship services. You should have seen the stink I caused when I mentioned masturbation as part of a sermon once... holy crap you would have thought I blew up the sacristy.

Quote Originally Posted by rekx View Post
    but you supply parts
    sure sounds like a deal though I don't know what parts needed hence the reason I wanted to take it to a mechanic first. What sort of filter it uses. I don't have any manuals nor find any manuals on the bike.

i think everyone is over lookin its dallas? where the greed over oil is born. DUH

$100 sounds about right to get a shop to do it... i see some cost breakdowns on page 1 and they seem ok ...

when on a trip, for ours we just stopped at a autozone out in washington, BOUGHT a new oil drain pan, BOUGHT 4 bottles of Mobil1 for me, and 4 for my bud, and 2 new oil filters we brought along with us from home. Changed it in the lot and they have disposal on site for free. We GAVE them the oil pan after for any other motorcyclist to use ... he said to us "as long as we don't make a mess in the lot he doesn't mind us doing it"

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

How come Suzuki OEM oil filters only cost ~$7 at SOB?... everyone keeps quoting $10-$15

*sigh*

The service manual should be a mandatory purchase whenever someone buys a bike. I used to own a DL650 as well and an oil change on that bike is ridiculously easy.

If an owner can't be bothered to learn the simplest of maintenance on their bikes, they deserve to be charged whatever the dealer feels like charging.

Lots of manuals are available online - like here:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/VStrom.html - the link for Online DL650 Service Manual near the bottom.

Edited: just re-read the post, the OP on the DL650 never mentioned he can't do his own oil changes. It's early, I'm working through my first coffee - apologies. Anyway, no charge for the link.
    Last edited by oomis; 10-15-2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Edited for for 18% less dickishness
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

I was quoted $100 for an oil change using synthetic oil, $85 with regular oil. To say I was speechless is an understatement.
    $100 is cheap
    KODMONKY When you're Happy and you know it...SMILE

2007 HD VRSCDX Night Rod Special :) Oh yeah...

Oil change costs:

Oil - $20/L (unless you buy in mass quantity, then its about $10/L. Amsoil fully synthetic bitches) Bike requires 4.7L = $100

Filter - $15

Time - 30 minutes, hourly rate (based on what my boss charges clients for my mad IT skills) - $150 = $75

Total - $190.

Take it in to HD dealership - $180 and I can't drink there. I'll do it myself thanks.
    Cheers,

M.

my scooter oil change cost just $3 for the oil. It uses 0.9L of oil. It has a wired mesh filter so no need to change the filter.

I just unscrew the drain bolt oil pours out. Align spring and filter on drain bolt put back in. Pour fresh oil.

$90 at the dealership excluding the cost of their oil brand is what they charge. Do it myself just $3.

$100 seems good.

It cost me near that to do it myself with decent oil and filter.

I assume $150 if I do it in the shop in the GTA.

Greg

Milton Ontario

2012 ZX14R
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Out here on an island in the Pacific, I have to pay $8 for a Purolator filter and $40.00 for a 4L jug of Motul 3000..........I do the labour and keep that cost in my pocket, but it's still well over $50 when I add in the taxes, for my '06 Bandit to get changed and I do it every 5000km - whether it needs it or not........40,500km and counting now....
    I even tried Semi-synthetic once and had an Oem filter but that took the price up to almost $75.........I do it too regular to keep that kind of pace.....the mineral based oil I use is fine, in light of the oil change interval I use.

DIY pays off in many ways

I change the oil on my DL650, and the process is very simple. It is well described in the owner's manual, and the only instruction I would add is to use a good 6-point 14mm socket, not the open-end wrench Mrs. Suzuki packs with the hairpins and other gewgaws in the toolkit. You are going to be pulling hard on that bolt in both ways, many times, and that is the kind of socket that is kindest to the bolts it turns.

It's important to look at the plug after you have loosened it but not removed it. Make sure whether a washer is installed, and be sure to catch it so you do not need to paw around in the oil to retrieve it -- these washers may be important, but not all bikes have them.

If you are on the road, go to your friendly local Canadian Tire store, and step up to the automobile service desk. Offer to buy oil if they will loan you a tray to catch the used oil and then take the oil from you without charging a fee. It is my understanding that any seller of oil in Canada must by law receive that oil for no fee, so the only favour you are really asking is the loan of the tray.

I did this at CTC in Richmond BC, and was courteously treated. I did it twice in 2009 at the CTC at Steeles and Yonge, and ditto. Once there was no tray to loan me, so a mechanic reached into the trash, hauled out an empty gallon jug, carved a hole in its side, and let me use that.

Please read up on oil selection, and do not simply buy either the cheapest or the most costly stuff. Our clutches ride in the stuff, and some oils contain super-slippery additives that will give trouble to a clutch. If you do not have expert advice, just buy good standard oil with a popular name, and you will get fine stuff -- I buy very ordinary oil and it gives fine service.

How tight should the plug be? Pay attention to how hard you had to pull to get the plug out, and use about the same muscle to put it back.

My bike wants a new filter every second oil change, but again filters are pretty good, so I would not postpone an oil change if a filter was due but not available.

Finally, while you are under the bike and looking up at it, hunt for debris that you can remove -- flattened squirrel (or part of one) pasted to the inside of a fender, twigs and grease and grit you can scrape off with a stick, etc. Take a look at the chain and the teeth of your sprockets, dangling hoses that may have got plugged with debris, and watch for any loose bolts on the kickstand support and anything else you can see. You might easily avert costly trouble simply by spotting am issue you can fix on the spot. This is one of the biggest payoffs of DIY maintenance, and one of the cheapest ways to show your bike you love it.

This started out to be a short answer, but it gruesome. Sorry.
    "Stay at least one standard deviation away from everybody else."

Hi,

Just did my oil change on my 1992 Honda ST1100:

4 litres Mobil One full synthetic oil at Canadian Tire X 15$/litre + tax = 65$
    Oil filter at Canadian Tire: 10$ + tax = 12$
    Labour: 0 $. Total: ~80 $

Errr...what seems to be the officer, problem ?

L.L.

Well for those folks who think $100 is okay for an oil change, I just picked up the stuff to do my own.

4 gallons of Rotella Synthetic Oil $19, K&N Filter $16 - total out of pocket $35 plus the 30 minutes or so it will take me to change it.

I can't imagine ever paying $100 for an oil change; that is plain highway robbery.

I can't imagine ever paying $100 for an oil change; that is plain highway robbery.
    How do you figure? Several people have already broken down the parts and labour in this thread.

Dealers don't use Rotella.