lost the key for gas cap...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lost the key for gas cap...

lost the key for gas cap...

I've seems to have lost my keys for my gas cap on my bike and now i cant fill it up with fuel lol .Since its a race bike anyways, who can I take it to that can pick the lock and then somehow modify the lock so that all I need to use is a screwdriver to access the gas tank.

Cheers,
    Charly "Magician" Vu

S.O.A.R.
    R.A.C.E.

www.charlyvu.com

Twitter account at : http://twitter.com/CharlyVuRacing
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/CharlyVuRacer

david@charlyvu.com

Re: lost the key for gas cap...

just buy a race gas cap off ebay. I think I got mine for around 30-40 bucks, works great

ok, but the problem is that I cant even open up my gas cap cause I lost the key
    Charly "Magician" Vu

S.O.A.R.
    R.A.C.E.

www.charlyvu.com

david@charlyvu.com

Quote Originally Posted by dvu3 View Post
    ok, but the problem is that I cant even open up my gas cap cause I lost the key
    can you not just take off the entire cap by removing the hex bolts on top?
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    this

When you take off the hex bolts it removes the outer part of the cap but the actual cap itself is still attached to the gas tank. If I can take off the cap then the whole assembly will come right off.
    Charly "Magician" Vu

S.O.A.R.
    R.A.C.E.

www.charlyvu.com

david@charlyvu.com

When you take off the hex bolts it removes the outer part of the cap but the actual cap itself is still attached to the gas tank. If I can take off the cap then the whole assembly will come right off.
    If your bike is that R6 in your avatar then you have to open it to remove it because there is one more bolt under the cap holding it to the tank...

Ive drilled out about 20 gas tank lock barrels in my day, its very easy and once you have the lock barrel out you can open and close it with a flat blade screw driver...

Start with a small bit in the center, work your way up to a bigger bit and start rotating it. Once enough material has been drilled way, you can pry out what is left of the barrel around the sides....

yup, the lock tumbler needs to be driled out. its easy, just be patient

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    yup, the lock tumbler needs to be driled out. its easy, just be patient
    Patience and taking your time are key, you don't want to be stuck with a broken drill bit in the tumbler...
    SOAR Novice #113

Or just hammer a big slot screw driver down the key hole. This will massage the tumblers to conform to the screw driver and you can than open the lock..if it work for theifs..it will work for you.
    You May Wheelie Me Down The Road....But I'll Stuff Ya In That Corner Every Time.......

R.A.C.E. AM #16
    S.O.A.R. Nov #16

www.puretrackdays.com

A big thanks to my sponsors: Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd., Brooklin Cycle Racing, Pure Trackdays Inc., Z1 Cycletech, Bickle Racing, Hindle Exhaust Systems, Armour Bodies, Accelerated Technologies., Don Butt Autobody, North American Decal.

Quote Originally Posted by woodzee View Post
    Or just hammer a big slot screw driver down the key hole. This will massage the tumblers to conform to the screw driver and you can than open the lock..if it work for theifs..it will work for you.
    1 problem...............That doesnt work! Sticking a screw driver in would jam the tumblers in the lock position, its going to take a hell of a lot of force to turn that screw driver and break all 4-5 tumblers no that youve jammed them into the lock position....

The easiest way is to drill out the barrel, or pick the lock if your good at that....Then remove the lock barrel by taking apart the cap from the inside...

Jesus guys you are savages. Take the thing to a locksmith and have him remove the tumblers it looks stock and will open with anything. Last time I had one done it was $10. All this drilling and hammering just makes a mess of it. Will it work? Yes Will it look like crap? Yes

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Jesus guys you are savages. Take the thing to a locksmith and have him remove the tumblers it looks stock and will open with anything. Last time I had one done it was $10. All this drilling and hammering just makes a mess of it. Will it work? Yes Will it look like crap? Yes
    What mess? LOL Its not that bad looking even if you leave the barrel in after drilling, on an R6 you can remove the barrel once you have it open and then all you will see is a missing barrel with a slot in the bottom for a screw driver or home made key..

This is about as bad as it should ever look (if you leave the drilled out barrel in), tank came from Ebay with cap on and no key....In our case spending $10 (+ $10 gas money to get the tank to the locksmith) to pick is just too much to spend...Thats a lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Just proved my point Johnny. You spend more than that on valve caps for your pretty bike. My opinion if it was $200 I would go get the drill but for the small cost get it done right. The dudes in Oshawa I go to did it in 20 minutes.
    Hmmmmm how much was that slick cap on your racebike I was admiring at the last round

Just proved my point Johnny. You spend more than that on valve caps for your pretty bike. My opinion if it was $200 I would go get the drill but for the small cost get it done right. The dudes in Oshawa I go to did it in 20 minutes.
    Hmmmmm how much was that slick cap on your racebike I was admiring at the last round
    Yeah I like to spend money, but sometimes I just need to get the job done (or something open) right away...And we already touched on the gas guzzling topic before, were a $10 job turns into $50 after driving there and back...

The Lightech keyless caps are a little more then a Vortex $175

Once you have the cap off;
    ~$40 from Kapsmoto

http://www.kapscomoto.com/Shop-By-Pr...-Cap-p493.html

Current - '08 T-rex (soon to be T-rex-T)
    Current - '02 Suzuki Hayabusa-T

Ex' - '88 - Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '01 - Suzuki Gixxer 1000
    Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '98 Suzuki GSXR 600

Can anyone suggest a locksmith? I cant seem to find one that will do it for $10. They always quote for $50 +
    Charly "Magician" Vu

S.O.A.R.
    R.A.C.E.

www.charlyvu.com

david@charlyvu.com

Can anyone suggest a locksmith? I cant seem to find one that will do it for $10. They always quote for $50 +

Dont know what they are called but Simcoe and Gibb in Oshawa id who has done a few for me.

Dont know what they are called but Simcoe and Gibb in Oshawa id who has done a few for me.
    Is that durham locksmiths your talking about ?
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Is that durham locksmiths your talking about ?
    I think your thinking of the ones on Dean (right by the Legion) that's durham locksmith.

The ones just up the road a little bit at Gibb (right where the one way south rejoins simcoe right at the lights)..geez it's right on the tip of my tongue
    You May Wheelie Me Down The Road....But I'll Stuff Ya In That Corner Every Time.......

R.A.C.E. AM #16
    S.O.A.R. Nov #16

www.puretrackdays.com

A big thanks to my sponsors: Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd., Brooklin Cycle Racing, Pure Trackdays Inc., Z1 Cycletech, Bickle Racing, Hindle Exhaust Systems, Armour Bodies, Accelerated Technologies., Don Butt Autobody, North American Decal.