2009 Ninja 250r, draining the carburetor

Thread: 2009 Ninja 250r, draining the carburetor

2009 Ninja 250r, draining the carburetor

This is my first time winterizing my bike. I'm just learning here, but I heard that it is best to drain the carburetor. I took photos of the bike's carburetor (which by the way is a 2009 Ninja 250R), what I am trying to figure out is how would I do about draining the carburetor? Which screw am I looking to unscrew and where would the gas drain out from?

Any help is certainly appreciated.

Ride:
    2010 Suzuki SV650SA White (Current)
    2009 Ninja 250r Black (2009 - 2010)
    License:
    GM (2010-07-07)

Re: 2009 Ninja 250r, draining the carburetor

I have the same bike...first winter also... The dealer recommended I do that also...So I'm also curious whats involved with that.

But I dont think I'm going to bother....Since it also recommended that we fill the fuel tank to full before we store the bike...I dont know how you can drain the carbs at the same time... unless turning the fuel tap switch to off is the solution...and then try running the bike until it dies....will this use up all the fuel remaining in the carbs? Therfore no draining required?

I am also assuming that if we use fuel stabilizer and run the bike a little, that there isn't any advantage or need in draining the carbs..

This is what I intend to do for my first storage:
    - change oil and filter, and O-rings
    - fill up fuel tank - add fuel stabil - go for a 5 min ride or 5 min idle
    - wash bike
    - lube chain-
    - remove battery - hook up to trickle charger over the winter, store battery inside house (basement)
    - place cover over bike (old bed sheets), park bike in garage..

And hope its a short winter so I can start riding as soon as possible...
    Last edited by 250R-ICE; 10-11-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Im pretty sure the 2008+ doesnt have a fuel tap, and even if it did. setting it to off untill it dies wont get rid of all the the fuel in the carbs.

i wouldnt worry about draining the carbs either, just make sure you get fuel stabilizer into the carbs

3mm allen on the bottom of the bowl, second pic has it

the screw that has the blue ring on it

gas comes out the little tit on the bottom of the carb
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

Quote Originally Posted by toastman View Post
    3mm allen on the bottom of the bowl, second pic has it

the screw that has the blue ring on it

gas comes out the little tit on the bottom of the carb
    ^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    He's not the only one with a personality disorder on this website. He just 'acquired' his. Others are born with theirs.

omega8, i have the .pdf service manual i can e-mail to you. lemme know if you'd like a copy.

the bf and i drained the carbs and it was a huge pain to reach in there. there is barely any space and the screw is so teeny tiny. :/

While I've never drained my carbs (just made sure they were filled with stabilizer-mixed fuel), it looks like you could reach in there with a cordless drill-mounted flexshaft holding the allen bit.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post
    This is what I intend to do for my first storage:
    - place cover over bike (old bed sheets), park bike in garage..
    Don't forget to get the tires up off of the garage floor. Stands are best. Put the tires on wood in the least. Don't leave the tires on the concrete over the winter.

bless

Thanks toybm, I love how you illustrated the picture. Certainly comes in handy and does make it easier to work with.

To anyone, one other question about winterizing, there is also a fuel switch, currently it's on the ON position, I'm assuming I leave it there and no need to switch it to PRI, correct?

I know the pic is out of focus, but hopefully it's good enough to see what I mean.
    Ride:
    2010 Suzuki SV650SA White (Current)
    2009 Ninja 250r Black (2009 - 2010)
    License:
    GM (2010-07-07)

save your self the hassel.

just put some fuel stabalizer and ride it for 20mins, top up the tank and forger about it.

come spring, she will start right up, after a new tank of gas, she'll run like she does now.

Stabilizer fuel does not have the same pep as a non-stabilized tank of fuel.

PRI is for prime which is what you want to turn it to when you start it IF you have drained the bowls.

Off=ON and ON=off

With a vacum petcock the fuel only flows in the on posistion when the engine is making vacum

Donald.