GP Shift - How long did it take you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GP Shift - How long did it take you?

GP Shift - How long did it take you?

OK so here is what has happened.

I swore off GP shift as useless and a bit poserish (sp?) since lots of motogp guys use standard shift. The idea was that at the level that most of us are at we don't need it....

Then I bought a bike with GP shift. And I get it! It makes sense, just needing to push down when you are under the bubble, upshifting when you are braking. I don't know why bikes just don't come like this from the factory.

The only problem was that as great as GP shift is, after a day of freewheeling into turns because I was frozen not remebering to push up or down for engine braking and fearing a highside. Downshifting and almost highsiding on a few occasions and upshifting when I should have been downshifting and losing tons of speed -I am considering swapping it back to standard.

How long did it take you guys to transition yourselves?

Re: GP Shift - How long did it take you?

hehe time for a slipper clutch dude!
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

I've never considered going to GP shift but know a few friends who have. I guess it's a comfort thing. But I'd think if you're going to do it, maybe take the time to learn it and get comfortable before you make the decision to keep it.

I did it and it took no time to get used to it. Just dont think about it.

1 trackday.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawaz View Post
    OK so here is what has happened.

I swore off GP shift as useless and a bit poserish (sp?) since lots of motogp guys use standard shift. The idea was that at the level that most of us are at we don't need it....

Then I bought a bike with GP shift. And I get it! It makes sense, just needing to push down when you are under the bubble, upshifting when you are braking. I don't know why bikes just don't come like this from the factory.

The only problem was that as great as GP shift is, after a day of freewheeling into turns because I was frozen not remebering to push up or down for engine braking and fearing a highside. Downshifting and almost highsiding on a few occasions and upshifting when I should have been downshifting and losing tons of speed -I am considering swapping it back to standard.

How long did it take you guys to transition yourselves?
    took me one track day to get use to it
    For sale, 2007 Aprilia SXV 450 Supermoto
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...prilia-sxv-450

You will see the next time you get on track it will come naturally to you and you'll be making a whole lot less mistakes. Stick with it!
    SOAR Novice #113

half a race 20 years ago. First thing I do now to every bike I own.
    Switch back abd forth all the time now with customer bikes. It is the better way.

You need to program your brain to make it automatic.

You don't need to be on the bike to do it, when the snow's flying and you're dreaming about riding, shift gp style.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    hehe time for a slipper clutch dude!
    I don't have a slipper and i have a bigger motor to spin up than most other people. I get by just fine, if i DID have a slipper i could probably change my shift points a bit but really, i'm fine without it. Although my suspension is set up pretty well so the rear never hops, it'' just slide.

Quote Originally Posted by mobius View Post
    1 trackday.
    Quote Originally Posted by unowned View Post
    took me one track day to get use to it
    Sounds about right. Took me about one track day too.

Quote Originally Posted by franz131 View Post
    You need to program your brain to make it automatic.

You don't need to be on the bike to do it, when the snow's flying and you're dreaming about riding, shift gp style.
    And when you're sitting on the bike in the garage over the winter making vroom vroom noises and pretending to ride.. practice your GP Shift

OK cool! Thanks for the advice guys.

I actually do find myself trying to remeber which way is downshifting and which way is upshifting throughout the course of my normal daily activities.

I was ok with it by the end of my first trackday but not to the point where I could redmist it on the track with reckless abandon.

Hopefully I get it worked out this weekend, I will make sure I switch the R1 to GP shift as well.

I will just blame up my special needs rate of progression into GP shift on the fact that it was my first time at Bogie and that it was a brand new bike that I picked up on the way to the trackday.
    Last edited by Fawaz; 10-09-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: I am the boss of me and I can do whatever I want.

put a sticker on your dash that says GP for a visual reminder