Quitting Smoking Ciggs! - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quitting Smoking Ciggs!

Re: Quitting Smoking Ciggs!

Quote Originally Posted by shurgold View Post
    Started taking Zyban to help me quit smoking...
    It's an antidepressant, so if it doesn't help you quit smoking maybe at least it will make you feel good...
    Last edited by El Zilcho; 10-05-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added missing word
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by DY View Post
    i quit this july cold turkey. i got tired of it and just said screw it. the 1st three days were hell, 7 days a bit better. 2 weeks alot better. 2 month later, phenomenal.
    That's impressive, DY. A lot of my friends smoke and a number of them have been "quitting" for the past 3 years.

Ultimately, it's a person's attitude and how bad they really want to quit that will bring in success. The patches, gum, etc are all aids to help out with the moments of weakness when they show up. I give respect to anyone that's been able to quit and stay off. Good luck OP!

I smoked for 18 years. Quit cold turkey 2 years ago. No preparation... just as I was finishing up a smoke that my roommate gave me, I looked intently at the heater and thought that it looked so nasty. I thought about that movie Baraka (watch it if you haven't!) where they show scenes of how cigarettes are made and I thought I didn't want to be a part of the problems in the world, but a piece of the solution. I wondered what my lungs were beginning to look like. I wondered what toxins I was passing on to my unborn children. I wondered what good I was to anyone I cared about if I couldn't even care for myself. I knew I wanted to quit, I just didn't have the willpower - or so I thought. Most of my friends smoked, almost all my coworkers smoked and so on.

Later on, I realized that all those years I was smoking... I just wasn't ready to quit yet. Many people need to keep trying and when the time is right and the circumstances and mindset in their lives has reached a particular threshold - they will quit.

I recognized that one of the easiest way to regress is to try and do too much at once. I wanted to stop eating meat, focus on my career and education, and generally a whole lifestyle change. Recognize that it's a process and attack the change one bit at a time. Compartmentalize the problems, look at your assets (tangible and intangible) and work towards building on those assets. Two years later and I don't smoke, eat meat or party the way I used to. My career has really taken off by leaps and bounds and so has my approach to life.

I stayed a non-smoker via many of the reasons mentioned by bgfa and DY. That's all really, really good good advice.

I hope it works out for you.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

A lot of good suggestions. One of the most noteable statements to me was one Vlad made about being an addict forever. True. It just doesn't bother you much. You will find the intensity of the cravings diminish, the frequency you are tempted does as well. Easy to deal with eventually. You will go for weeks without even thinking about it...but it is there and like Edders said, you'll be amazed how fast you'll be back to it like you never stopped...all it takes is one drag so don't kid yourself.

It will be probably the best thing you ever did for your health. No point going over all the benefits...just remind yourself of them during the most difficult times.

When I smoked, an older guy I know (about 65) who used to hassle me about smoking returned from a funeral of someone he knew who had died of lung cancer and said to me "Guys that would tell you to stop just aren't around to say it, so I am". That kind of stuck. A horrible way to die.

I feel for those that smoke because like my Dad says "they're gonna quit one of two ways". He smoked for 30 years too.

Why quit... got a light?

After 27 yrs of heavy duty smoking, I tried the patch, as a buddy was having success, and recommended it.
    It was the one and only time I ever considered, or tried quitting.
    I was up to 4 - 5 packs of Export A's a day (no exaggeration) and close to an oz of weed every 2 days.
    By the time dinner came around, I couldn't speak a full sentence without hacking up gobs of ****, then I could continue a couple more words of my sentence, and gag some more.
    So bad - one time while talking to someone, a giant "lugen" flew out of my yak, and hit the person I was chatting with.
    That had to be the most humiliating experience ever.
    This was back in '93, and I haven't had a 'cigarette' since. I actually tried to fire one up about a month ago, and couldn't do it - it was repulsive.
    Some people mentioned the 1st few days are difficult. They are, no doubt about it.
    Not just a few days for me though. I went through 18 months of volcanic Hell, which included a separation / divorce, but never lit up a 'butt'.
    My incentive was, and still is: Never spend a $5 bill. I put them away, and when they add up, I buy myself something that I would other wise never had considered buying.
    For some, it may be a vacation ( I've had a few on 'butt' money) - or pile the money into your bike / hobby / whatever works.

Good luck to everyone on the wagon, stay on it, and good luck to those considering quitting - it'll be the best thing you've ever done for yourself, give it a go!!

I had a pack a day habit for years. Tried everything. Zyban was the only thing that killed the craving for me. Wierd dreams and jittery hands were all the side effects I had. I've been a non-smoker for 7 years now.

My wife quit cold turkey @ the same time as me and remains a non-smoker as well.

You have to want to quit for any method to work.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    After 27 yrs of Export A's a day (no exaggeration)...
    eeek!
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Zyban works really, really well..................provided you're not one of the few that gets horrible side effects from it. If you don't get the bad side effects (like, oh.....wanting to kill yourself, feeling like you're going crazy, odd body spasms, shaking, nightmares......etc.), then you're golden. Just remember to take it for quite a while (as in, not the minimum three months..) and slowly wean yourself off of it over a long period of time. Stopping the Zyban cold turkey can do just as much crazy stuff to your head as starting it.

My main side effect from it was ear ringing. They didn't stop ringing for months after I'd stopped taking it. Annoying, but not too bad. I eventually slipped and started smoking again after 6 months or so. Dummy.

And Vlad is wrong about how it works- it's not based on making the cigarette smoke taste bad so that you don't want to smoke.
    Last edited by froghammer; 10-05-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Well Zyban for me has no real side effects...I get really cool dreams every now and then but other than that nothing. Today is day 2...towards the end of the day yesterday I felt jittery as hell and was ready to attack people in my office lol but this morning I feel ok? well see how the rest of the day goes. I keep reminding myself that I don't want to be one of those people who keep saying "I am not gonna smoke when I'm older" but unless I stop now I will smoke when I'm older.

I smoked two packs a day (Players) for 17 years, one night on the way home from girlfriends house I realized I forgot my smokes and lighter at her house, could have stopped at the 7-11, but figured what the hell, lets see how long I can go without a smoke. It will be 21 years tomorrow. I used BreathSaver candies for about 6 months, I would buy a carton of those at the warehouse store that was around before Costco (forget the name of it now) every week. Do not recall it being all the hard to do.

Today is day 2...towards the end of the day yesterday I felt jittery as hell and was ready to attack people in my office lol but this morning I feel ok?
    One day at a time, remember. Use whatever distraction you can think of when the cravings come and they will go away eventually. BTW, you don't have to stop abruptly with Zyban and I wouldn't even recommend it. Let us know if you can still smoke after a week or so (it takes a while for it to fully kick in) but in the mean time I don't see any reason to resist the cravings too much.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

I picked up the Zyban last wednesday so I've been taking it since then. I figured that I might as well start the quitting now. I've quit worse stuff before, but like the packs say "ciggarettes are harder to quit than heroin or cocaine" (or something to that effect)

I spent 2.5 hours in the gym last night with a buddy so I wouldn't smoke, by the end of it my arms were so tired i couldn't lift a smoke to my mouth if I wanted to.

I've been smoking for 12.5 years. I've tried to quit before...
    1) Patch/gum - no go. I'd start smoking within a couple of days. The patch does help me handle long flights, though
    2) Going to lighter and lighter smokes - nope.. I'd just smoke more
    3) Rationing - useless after a couple of days
    4) Cold turkey. Most of the times it failed but once I did quit for 3 months. The first 4 days were hell and I put on 10kg

Haven't tried Zyban, but I think it'd be worth a shot based on the experiences in this thread. I'll get a scrip once I get back from Europe (family emergency) next month.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Well Zyban for me has no real side effects...I get really cool dreams every now and then but other than that nothing. Today is day 2...towards the end of the day yesterday I felt jittery as hell and was ready to attack people in my office lol but this morning I feel ok? well see how the rest of the day goes. I keep reminding myself that I don't want to be one of those people who keep saying "I am not gonna smoke when I'm older" but unless I stop now I will smoke when I'm older.
    Are you on day 2 of taking the pill once a day (the very beginning), or day two of no smoking? It's when you start taking them twice a day that things may or may not get a little wacky. Haha. If you're past that point, you're good to go!

I picked up the Zyban last wednesday so I've been taking it since then. I figured that I might as well start the quitting now.
    If you're ready to quit, do it, but you should be taking the pill for two weeks before you're really supposed to make an attempt. It takes time to build up in your system to really do its thing. It really is amazing- a couple of weeks in you lose that horrible "I MUST HAVE A CIGARETTE" feeling. All that's left over is the habit of having one, which is much easier to tame without the murderous urges.

Yeah I probably should have waited to quit but I figure I cant do any harm by quitting now. And as long as I make it a couple more days than I'm in the clear hopefully :P.

I quit on Zyban before, and i went back to smoking unfortunately. My problem is when I drink I chain smoke haha. My birthday is coming up and I will most definitely enjoy a sip or 2. The ultimate test.

I quit on Zyban before, and i went back to smoking unfortunately. My problem is when I drink I chain smoke haha. My birthday is coming up and I will most definitely enjoy a sip or 2. The ultimate test.
    Same here. Personally, when I quit for quite a while, it was no pop, booze, coffee or anything that was related to cigarettes for a LONG time. And you're not supposed to drink while on Zyban anyway.

Drinking on Zyban is alright...It's like liquor goes on sale. You don't have to drink as much and you get hammmered. Haha.

Plus bonus possible psychotic breaks and seizures as well.