Getting more women to the track- my 2 cents - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting more women to the track- my 2 cents

Re: Getting more women to the track- my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha_Gurl View Post
    Um, most women on this site have something either pink, flowery, or girly on their bikes....it's their style! What's wrong with that?

A-Dogg...are you a womens cup racer?
    Oh Maggs, can't you see, she doesn't want any fun or joking around while riding, it's all serious all the time, can't you tell?

Equality and solidarity through plain typically masculine colours, no joking and segregation!
    Janice

Quote Originally Posted by A-Dogg View Post
    5. let them know in advance that there will be 3 groups or so and someone to show them around the track. Please do not just unleash these people into the general track day without initial guidance.
    Yes, we must not just unleash these people into any regular track day... Right Maggie, I see you out there on a general track day, you're dangerous, maybe you should join one of these woman track days

Quote Originally Posted by A-Dogg View Post
    Once we have a large pool of avid track day riders only then will we be able to run a women race series.

I am not in favor of splitting up the gender because this is one sport where it's up to the person riding the machine and nothing else. Women are allowed to compete in the men's series, will we let men in our series. I think the whole women division sets us back but that is just my opinion.

Can you please keep your responses targeted on these points and how to improve upon them assuming my points are valid to begin with.

Thank You
    So lets have a women's race series and then let the men in and race in theirs! Umm... what?
    Janice

i did the tmp intro to track school...and loved it...i also did a few track days after that.

the biggest thing with getting into racing would be money. no matter if it just guys, just girls or mixed, it comes down to money for most of us

if you wanna get more girls into track, mayb do a all girl intro to track school. I'm sure donald would be up for that at TMP, and than you can promote racing.

as for the "girlie" stuff on bikes. Its a personal choice, it doesn't make a difference, atleast i don't think. i made the comment to my pit friend at a track day about a guy gunning it down the straightaway and me being stuck behind him in every corner that ohhh he just doesnt want to be passed by a girl..his reply was nooo he just doesn't want to be passed, suck it up and learn to pass him properly

Quote Originally Posted by ts View Post
    i did the tmp intro to track school...and loved it...i also did a few track days after that.

the biggest thing with getting into racing would be money. no matter if it just guys, just girls or mixed, it comes down to money for most of us

if you wanna get more girls into track, mayb do a all girl intro to track school. I'm sure donald would be up for that at TMP, and than you can promote racing.

as for the "girlie" stuff on bikes. Its a personal choice, it doesn't make a difference, atleast i don't think. i made the comment to my pit friend at a track day about a guy gunning it down the straightaway and me being stuck behind him in every corner that ohhh he just doesnt want to be passed by a girl..his reply was nooo he just doesn't want to be passed, suck it up and learn to pass him properly
    If there is interest I would gladly do a womens only school. If there is just a small group I would do a womens only class. I have offers from a few women racers as instructors. Vicki and I already have been speaking about working together in some form in 2010. You can find her link on our site www.SOARacing.ca

I'd be glad to do it, but it all comes down to numbers. - ie if there is enough ladies interested in running a girl specific day.

I was quite impressed by the number of ladies coming out to the intro to track school, the girls almost outnumbered the guys!

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by ts View Post

Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

When I'm on the track, I look at things two ways; You're faster than me, or I'm faster than you. I dont give a rats *** what sex you are, what color your skin is, or what kind of bike you are on. I hate to say it, but it seems the women (some) are the ones making a big deal of the riders sex. Theres no difference to me if your bike is black and white or black and pink, if its in front of me i'll either pass you or try and keep up, depending on your skill. I hear more sexually oriented comments from the women (again, some) than i do the men.

There is no difference as far as skill goes. We learn different (I tend to jump right in and scare the crap out of myself, then scale back, she goes easy, smooth, then faster) but the end result is the same.

A rider is a rider is a rider. Learn from them if they are better than you, pass them if they are slower than you.

There was a women's track day last year with Vicki Gray. They had to open it to men as there weren't enough women to participate. I am new to the track and love the idea of women's only events, but I agree with the other fellows, it would only be a stepping stone until I had the confidence to go out and try my hand with the guys. I usually find at track days, there are only 3 or 4 women tops out there.
    Actions speak louder than words

Quote Originally Posted by pecas View Post
    There was a women's track day last year with Vicki Gray. They had to open it to men as there weren't enough women to participate. I am new to the track and love the idea of women's only events, but I agree with the other fellows, it would only be a stepping stone until I had the confidence to go out and try my hand with the guys. I usually find at track days, there are only 3 or 4 women tops out there.
    Vicki had a women's only track day the year before that and the same thing happened, not enough ladies interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Azim View Post
    Seriously, a lot of women that are new riders/to the track are deterred because - even though it's in the beginner group - there will always be guys who will rip it around a woman a little more than they probably should. And let's not forget the guys who can't stand getting passed by a female on the track.
    Really? I am yet to meet a girl who's that scared of going out there with the guys that having a women's only class will break or make the decision to come out to the track. Most of the guys in beginner groups are scared just as much as these imaginary ladies are said to be about getting on the track for the first time or being passed. Every one new to the track experiences the jitters, it's not some women only phenomenon. I feel like these women's only classes are only perpetuating this notion that there is something for these ladies to fear and that they are being segregated for their own protection. That couldn't be further from the truth, this culture is VERY welcoming to ANY newcomer, if anything more welcoming to the women.

A-Dogg, just about every thing you have mentioned in your post has already either been done, tried, thought of or is happening. What you could try is putting a gun to every one posing at the local Timmies and tell them to start taking interest in the Canadian racing scene and get out to the track. The general lack of interest in coming out is the problem.

I think the women's only classes are only splitting the focus of getting more riders to the track.
    Last edited by Blackie; 10-04-2009 at 12:10 AM.
    BUY MY BIKE!
    2007 Honda CRF 150R Big Wheel Supermoto with dirt wheels, $3600

Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. - William Shakespare

I know this is geared more towards the road course set up but what about the drag strip?

I am personally more into the quick 1/4 mile. When I get back from overseas I am building a stretched out R1 to complete in Modified Bracket racing. I love drag racing. Those who came out to TMP may have saw me. It costs a fraction of what it is to run the road course but it means a lot of standing and waiting around. I love it though. There is a lot to it and I am still working hard at it.

Any girls looking at a different kind of racing may find their calling on the drag strip too.

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    I know this is geared more towards the road course set up but what about the drag strip?

I am personally more into the quick 1/4 mile. When I get back from overseas I am building a stretched out R1 to complete in Modified Bracket racing. I love drag racing. Those who came out to TMP may have saw me. It costs a fraction of what it is to run the road course but it means a lot of standing and waiting around. I love it though. There is a lot to it and I am still working hard at it.

Any girls looking at a different kind of racing may find their calling on the drag strip too.
    Why not do both? TMP offered free tech cards to SOAR competitors all year for the Friday night test and tunes.

I don't understand why everyone is talking about the financial burden of Racing.

Ken has given us a venue to race and get tracktime for much less than the cost of a trackday.

Last Calabogie Trackday:
    Entry fee: $215/day
    Gas to track and back: $250
    Track time: 40-45 minutes. = approx 10/minute

TMP trackday:
    Gas to track : $30
    Entry : $100/day( I can't remeber but think it was something like this)
    track time
    40-45 minutes = approx $3/minute

Full weekend of SOAR racing (one class):
    Entry : $100/3 days
    Track time: 9 hours = $0.24 approx /minute!!!!!!
    A race weekend at SOAR costs a bit more than a trip to friggin wonderland!!!!

Yah you will go through tires.... but you will on a trackday as well. So factor in $130 for some decent scrubs for each one of the scenarios above. SOAR is still the best motorsports value on the planet!

So is this about getting more women to the track or getting more women into racing?

I have responded below from the getting them to the track angle.

My suggestions are as follow:
    1. create a central website for all for all of the information - Most if not all race series and track day organizers have this. Then there is sites like this.

2. setup a transportation system or pooling to get them there and back - Post a message on above sites and see if you can carpool. I would not encourage any girlfriend of mine to get into a vehicle with someone they don't know/trust/seen drive etc so i don't think this is a viable option. Besides I really don't have any more room for you left.

3. gear, setup a rental system with vendors or post up your old gear for sale or rent your old gear out, enforce strict and proper gear. - See the for sale sections of the above mentioned sites?

4. prepping the bikes, most women do not have the tools or really want to deal with servicing a bike. That is my observation. How many women that ride know what a torque wrench is much less an oil crush washer. - If you don't know - ASK. I know now but that is not without a lot of guidance. Don't look to be spoonfed - ask good questions, get your hands dirty and you will learn.

5. let them know in advance that there will be 3 groups or so and someone to show them around the track. Please do not just unleash these people into the general track day without initial guidance - For those who need it. Most organization will give you coaching if you ask. Don't be shy.

6. Above all else, can the leaders please remove all stickers and the attitude I am a girl rider look at me or passed my a girl sticker. This is silly and childish when you think about it. I do not take those women seriously so don't expect that all the guys will take us seriously either. - Now this IS personal, why should anyone care? If I don't care about your green monster stickers so please don't care about my pink flowers. Same thing with the slogans all over your bike.

7. I think this needs to be a targeted and focused campaign to help develop new riders. Why would a beginner try to compete with some of the other women with done up bikes and who are blisteringly fast. That will just decrease their confidence. - From a track day standpoint I like to be passed. It teaches me where I can be faster, where I can pass that I might not have considered before and i get to watch someone else's lines/cornering. Rabbits are fun!

8. Maybe we get our hands on some preped CBR125's or Ninja 250's and allow people to rent them from us to try out. We can remove the whole worry about what if I dump my bike. - Turn 2 already does this and FAST has a bunch of 600s.

My best girlfriends are all into the track and although we don't all race we certainly do have a blast out there. I taught one of them how to ride ONLY two weeks ago and on Sunday we did laps at lunch on Bogie, her on a borrowed SV!!

Come to the track, say hello and stay awhile!

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post

3. gear, setup a rental system with vendors or post up your old gear for sale or rent your old gear out, enforce strict and proper gear. - See the for sale sections of the above mentioned sites?
    Just wanted to Point out that Jeff Bolt (on this site) Has a gear rental program in place. Not sure what gear he has available, but he announced it earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post

Really? I am yet to meet a girl who's that scared of going out there with the guys that having a women's only class will break or make the decision to come out to the track. Most of the guys in beginner groups are scared just as much as these imaginary ladies are said to be about getting on the track for the first time or being passed. Every one new to the track experiences the jitters, it's not some women only phenomenon. I feel like these women's only classes are only perpetuating this notion that there is something for these ladies to fear and that they are being segregated for their own protection. That couldn't be further from the truth, this culture is VERY welcoming to ANY newcomer, if anything more welcoming to the women.
    +1,000,000 (with flowey girly smiles included)

Both guys and girls have been more than welcoming and fun at the track, and I've never felt intimidated to run with boys. Unless people plan on only running female only tracks days, they better learn to play with the guys anyhow...
    Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do. - David Brent

I think your numbers are a bit skewed for the track day, you normally get 3 sessions in before lunch at a TMP track day.

If no incidents occur you get 2.3 hours of track time/day if running 3 sessions.

If you run 2 sessions and had no incidents you can be looking at 3.5 hours of track time.

at $125 it's $0.29 per minute with a 2 session format not $3
    buy the $100 special ($105 with GST) and it is $0.25 per minute (3 days for $300)

No arguements that SOAR is not great value, it certainly is an I applaud Ken for giving the motorcycle community this opportunity.

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Fawaz View Post
    I don't understand why everyone is talking about the financial burden of Racing.

Ken has given us a venue to race and get tracktime for much less than the cost of a trackday.

Last Calabogie Trackday:
    Entry fee: $215/day
    Gas to track and back: $250
    Track time: 40-45 minutes. = approx 10/minute

TMP trackday:
    Entry : $100/day( I can't remeber but think it was something like this)
    track time
    40-45 minutes = approx $3/minute

Full weekend of SOAR racing (one class):
    Entry : $100/3 days
    Track time: 9 hours = $0.24 approx /minute!!!!!!
    A race weekend at SOAR costs a bit more than a trip to friggin wonderland!!!!

Yah you will go through tires.... but you will on a trackday as well. So factor in $130 for some decent scrubs for each one of the scenarios above. SOAR is still the best motorsports value on the planet!